Can girlfriend notarize my documents?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Can girlfriend notarize my documents?

Post by JPMessina44 »

Curious, my girlfriend is a registered notary in the state of NY where 11 of my 13 documents will come from. Do I have to get it notarized by Clerks office or can any registered notary do it?
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Can girlfriend notarize my documents?

Post by JPMessina44 »

I, of course, will have everything certified, and get the apostille from the Sec of State....

I was just curious about the notary part.....it's nothing illegal, as she is a registered notary, does it for a living in NY State and city.

ANy thoughts would be great!
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I am a notary in CT and I would be able to notarize such documents. I am not familiar with notary rules in NY, but I can't imagine they would be much different.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

That's what I was thinking as well. I figured maybe it would be a conflict of interest if we were married and have the same last name, but we do not in this case.

Thanks for your thoughts. I didn't think it matters so long the person is registered and its done legitmately.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If I may inquire, what exactly needs to be notarized?

Will the document also require an apostille? Not all states certify notary's signatures and/or have special requirements for doing so.

Compare:

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/corps/apostille.html

http://www.ct.gov/sots/cwp/view.asp?a=3177&q=392130
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

I could have sworn I read that the birth, death, and marriage all need to be certified, notarized and apostilled for dual citizenship. if thats not the case, that's great if all I need it to certify and then get the apostille/translation.

As for the documents, it seems as though only the people in my line, I'll need a apostille, and translation....so Me- Father - Grandfather - Great Grandfather....(my mom, greatma and great grandmother) I wont need the translation, apostille, etc. True?