Birth not registered?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
margieeee

Birth not registered?

Post by margieeee »

Just wondering if ever a birth is not registered. I have been through the entire year of microfilm records and cannot find my grandfather's. I know that he was born in that specific town.

What happens if a woman gives birth and is not married? Is this still registered? I am juts trying to figure why I cannot find it.

Thanks
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Birth not registered?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

What year? What commune? Are you entirely certain of the correct year of birth? You might be amazed to learn how often these turn out to be off by one or even several years.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
margieeee

Post by margieeee »

Thanks Carmine ...

I realize that there can be errors in dates, especially through the years.

It is the commune of Colle d'Anchise in Campobasso region and I have the microfilm for that area. I have gone through the entire year of 1884 1883 1885 and nothing. Hi name is Roberto Longano. I did find his marriage certificate for 106 May 31.

I am certain of the place, even though the marriage certificate lists his birthplace as Campobasso. My aunt insists that my grandfather and his family never left Colle d'Anchise...It was very rural.

I have been in communication with the priest at the Church, and am personally going there this May. It seems very strange. My grandfather's mother had been married to another man first and had one son. I found the records of all that (all in Colle d'anchise) Supposedly she married my grandfather's father, and then after he died, she married another man and had more children(all of these records are available) and All in Colle d'Anchise.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Mille grazie

Margie
margieeee

Post by margieeee »

The marriage date should read 1906
margieeee

Post by margieeee »

I also got the microfilm for Campobasso and reviewed each entry one by one for several years. We understand his birthdate to be Jan 10, 1884
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Margie,

By the 1880's, civil registration was the law throughout the entire Italian peninsula and, especially in smaller comuni, it is unlikely that someone slipped through the cracks.

Question: when you say you, " have been through the entire year of microfilm records", do you mean that you searched the indexes, or the actual individual birth acts? Many of us have had the experience of locating a birth, marriage, or death act which was not listed in the annual index - not surprising once you understand how these indexes were manually created at the end of the year.

As to, "I am certain of the place, even though the marriage certificate lists his birthplace as Campobasso. My aunt insists that my grandfather and his family never left Colle d'Anchise..." well, once again, it is amazing how often these oral family histories turn out to be wrong in both minor and major ways. So, do keep an open mind. As an example, if your great-grandmother was having a difficult pregnancy, she may have went to live with a relative or friend (or, though unlikely, a hospital) some distance from her home. If your grandfather was born in this other location, his birth would be registered there, not in Colle d'Anchise.
What happens if a woman gives birth and is not married? Is this still registered? I am juts trying to figure why I cannot find it.
I have several cases in my own family in which the birth record is in the mother's name, although they are all from much earlier in the 1800's. See this thread: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... 18975.html

Other threads of interest for their background material:

http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... 18885.html

http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... 19189.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
margieeee

Post by margieeee »

Thanks Carmine I have also reviewed each individual record for several years in the Campobasso register. I do not know what to make of this.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Sometimes due to weather or sickness, a birth is not registered in the prescribed time frame. When this happens (they just forgot to do it) nothing happens until they need a birth certificate for some reason (like school). Once they realize that the birth was not registered they had to go to the Tribunale in the nearest major town (Campobasso?) and register with the Tribunal. Then the Tribunal send the registration to the town where it is filed in Parte 2 or whatever of the year it arrives. So, you might want to check the records for 5 or 6 years later or maybe even 18 years later when he is due for military. Its there, just not where you expect it to be.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Oh yes, he was almost certainly baptized so he should be in the right year of the parish records but that won't help you identify the year of civil registration.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Congemi »

My family also had a tradition that everyone was born in a given town,it being Villagrazia, but through ship manifest I learned that my grandfather was born in Parco renamed Altofonte so I looked into the records of Parco and found his birth certificate, which oddly his surname had two different spellings. I just this week found my gr grandfather's bc (1860 Villagrazia)which only listed his mother and was confused but from this forum apparently it is not out of the norm for the time period.
Just as one would look for alternate spellings when doing US history we should keep in mind that it is also probable in other countries.
Good luck in your research.