Anybody else mixed with another ethnicity?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Anybody else mixed with another ethnicity?

Post by DeFilippis78 »

50 Italian, 25 Austrian, 25 Irish....2 Italian GP, 1 Austrian GP, 1 Irish GP
adam74
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adam74 »

I am also mixed decent my father side is Italian and my mothers side is english and welsh
kamsonr

Post by kamsonr »

My Grandmother is Scillian...and my Greandfather was African American/Native American.

Rosa
kahuka

Post by kahuka »

when I was little I thought it was so boring to be "100 percent Italian" (Dad was born in Molise and all my great grandparents on my maternal side were from Sicily and Puglia)....I used to pretend I was half Swedish, etc, so strange of me! Now I think it's really cool to be all italiana!! ...I can totally understand being more attached to "one part" of the family heritage....I identify mostly with my Molisan side since I've been there many times and know the dialect.... I almost consider my pugliese and Sicilian quarters to be other ethnicities because I don't know much about them! so interesting! I love hearing about people's ethnic backgrounds!
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stellina13 »

I am 100% Italian (born in Italy, my parents both come from the same town Castelvecchio Subequo, province of L'Aquila.

My husband is also 100% Italian, (also born in Italy, his mother is from Carini, Sicily and his dad from Palermo, Sicily)

I love being Italian and I love listening to Italian music (though it drives my children crazy when I play it)
Nina

Researching Surnames: Paolini, Polidoro, Salutari, Musti and many others- Castelvecchio Subequo; L'Aquila Province.

my husband"s side - Cancellieri/e, Trapani, Giambanco, Ruggeri, and many others - Palermo & Carini, Sicily
Bosetti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bosetti »

Oh YES :D In our family is a BIG mix ;) My mother is from Germany, my father was Swedish (with a Dänish grandfather)and I'm married a Italy man ;) I have to search in many countries to find our Past ;) AND I found out that Our Swedish ancestours (My Fathers side) was from Vallonien that came to Sweden in th 1600 century. I have to do ;)
rosyrae

Post by rosyrae »

Yes, I am Italian, Canadian French, and English with some Irish too. My mother swears there is some Native American in there somewhere too, but I haven't been able to prove that yet!

My grandmother was born in Italy and came to America when she was less than a year old. My grandfather was born in Maine, but was of Canadian French descent and I was able to trace his line back to France in the 1600's! So, my father is half Italian and half French. My mother is English, Irish, French, and she suspects some Native American ancestry in there somewhere. My mother's family has been in America since the 1700's, when they came over from England to settle in New England.

My son is even more interesting! His father is African American.

Anyway, I mostly identify with my Italian heritage as I did not have a lot of contact with my mother's side of the family. My grandmother was very close to us and we loved Sunday dinners with the extended family--I miss those days!

Paula
donnalombardo39

Post by donnalombardo39 »

On my father's side I am Sicilian, Cherokee Indian, Scottish and Irish. On my mom's side I am Black Dutch, Cherokee, and Scottish for sure, and maybe something else. I am trying to find roots.
findmydad77

Post by findmydad77 »

Just found this site, I'm on the hunt for my dad.........oh and yes the answer to the question - 50% Italian and 50% Scottish!!! :o
[Paul Rudden
tikibar22
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tikibar22 »

I am 50% Southern Italian, and i always thought as did my mother that i was 50% Polish. However after research my ancestry for a bit over a year now i actually believe i am 25% Polish and 25% German not 100% confirmed yet, still trying to reach that point..

However i really only identify with Italian heritage, my mothers parents passed before she was married and i have only been around my Italian grandparents and HUGE Italian family.. i have got more "Uncles and Aunts" then I can count!

This ancestry weaves a tangled web!

Krissi
Infante, Cella or Celli,
Bagnoli Irpino, Avellino
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 113yearslater »

Poking an old thread here ...

I'm finding this interesting. I'm another hundred-percenter, here. I know a lot of people aren't nowdays, but when I was growing up, many were. Even my brothers have married Italian and half-Italian women, and I've found all of two non-Italian names in my family tree, neither on a direct line to me. Three of my grandparents were born in Abruzzi, and the other's parents were both born in Basilicata.

I consider myself more connected to Abruzzi, mostly because my mom told lots more stories about her Italian-speaking parents and grandparents. My dad's family connection was broken or more tenuous since his father was born here, and his mother was orphaned in the US at a very young age and raised in a rather unpleasant convent. So most of the stories I heard were about Atessa and Nereto in Abruzzi, and until very recently I didn't even know where in Basilicata my last name was from.

Mixes seem to be the order of the day nowdays. Initially, Italians only married those from their town, then province. Then, they had to at least marry another Catholic. And now, it's pretty much anyone marrying anyone. Although my oldest brother remembers one time having my dad make a remark to him when he was a teenager, "I want you to marry an Italian girl." :lol: So at least a little of it was still there in my generation (I'm 48).
jordanmoore144

Post by jordanmoore144 »

I'm only 1/8 italian the rest British. I'm like to think I'm a Britalian.
nome utente

Post by nome utente »

Oh yes...quite a few. I'm not even entirely sure of what they all are! I can say with complete certainty that I am 1/4 Italian and 1/4 Irish, as that half of my family came over from the old countries fairly recently. The other side, however, is murkier. My surname is Scottish so I am at least partially Scottish--how much, I'm unsure of. Perhaps a very small amount, since my Scottish ancestor came here nearly 200 years ago. I likely have some English blood as well. One of my grandmothers came from Austria, but her surname is not ethncially German but Czech, which could mean one of many things: that she was paternally Czech and maternally Austrian/German, that she was 100% ethnically Czech and just an Austrian by birth, or an infinite number of other possibilities.

So yeah, I'm quite a mutt, and a confused one at that :mrgreen: Growing up where I did, and being raised a Catholic, I must say I feel the most kinship with my Italian and Irish sides.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

No. :-) (Italian only here).
TerraLavoro
Genetick
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genetick »

Surely there are many answers to this question (even for 100%'s). If you regard it purely as country of birth then you get one answer, if you throw in culture and language you get a different answer. Then add in how far back in your lineage qualifies and you have numerous possibilities.

If I limit my answer back to my Grandparents then I am 100% Scottish, however go back one generation to the mystery father of my illegitimate grandmother and I have to consider I share ethnicity - most likely Irish. Back another generation and I have an English 2G Grandmother, I also link to Norwegian, French, Danish ancestors. Guess my true category is mongrel

GT

My wife is
Researching - Andreoni, Moscardini, Pelosi and Renucci