Birth Certificate Help --New York City

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
TruEstCst

Birth Certificate Help --New York City

Post by TruEstCst »

Hi,
I have all documents needed for Italian citizenship except my grandfather's birth certificate from New York City. New York City Vital Records can't find the certificate. I have enough evidence to get a certificate put on file (baptism certificate etc.) but since he is deceased they won't put it on record. Has anyone dealt with this? Is there anything that I can do? Are there other document that he may have filled out that actually recorded the birth certificate number? Thanks for any help.
Harleygrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Birth Certificate Help --New York City

Post by Harleygrrl »

Is there anyone left in your grandfather's generation who can make a late declaration? It would have to be a sibling or someone close enough to have independently known about when he was born and make a statement saying so. I know they used to do that sort of thing; not sure if they do now. I can't imagine what would require anyone to record their own b.c. number; I never have. If it was a tricky Italian last name could it just be a matter of a transcription error - I don't know how NY is looking it up for you.