How's that passport tax work?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Macossay

How's that passport tax work?

Post by Macossay »

So I got my Italian passport three years ago (and profuse thanks again to all the people on the board who helped me), and I paid the fee and the tax for a year, and then I took a trip to Italy and used my new passport and it was very cool.

Now a few years have gone by and I've saved up for a trip to Ireland. I want to use my Italian passport again (just for the coolness). But I can't figure out how the tax works. Do I need to go to the consulate and pay the tax for this year? Or do I have to pay back taxes for the years I've missed? Or do I pay it at all -- will the Irish know or care if an Italian tax is paid?

The money isn't the issue -- it's the incredible hassle of getting to the Houston consulate to have the passport stamped, or whatever it is they do to it.

Grazie,

John
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: How's that passport tax work?

Post by Italysearcher »

If the Italian passport is still valid go with it.
BUT...take your other (US?) passport with you for security.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

The tax stamp is only required when you use your Italian passport to exit Italy when you are not connecting through a Schengen country. To illustrate if you are in Italy and have a flight from Rome to NY you need a valid tax stamp. If your flight is from Rome to Paris connecting to NY you do not need a tax stamp. Your Italian passport is valid for travel to and from Ireland. Tax stamps can be purchased at tobacco stores throughout Italy, so there is no need to get one before departing on a trip to Italy.
Macossay

Post by Macossay »

Got it! Grazie!

John
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

My husband uses his Italian passport regularly to travel to North America. He has never bought a tax stamp. Has never even heard of them.
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

OK, we go to Canada, not the USA. What you pay is like a Visa fee. If you don't need a visa to go to Ireland then no tax.
Ann Tatangelo
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Use your Italian passport to leave the country and the US one to enter, that way you don't pay anything.
Ann Tatangelo
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

It is my understanding that a valid Marca de Bollo is required when presenting your Italian passport to an Italian border control agent when exiting Italy for travel outside the Schengen area.

Ann, I am curious as to how your husband is able to travel without it. Does he connect through another Schengen country?