My deceased mother's birth certificate.

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
ppalmgren

My deceased mother's birth certificate.

Post by ppalmgren »

I need to have my mother's long form birth certificate to apply for dual Irish-American citizenship. I was born in NYC (Manhattan) and do have my own birth certificate (I am 56) but now I understand I have to be either my own mother, or my mother's parent, to get her certificate. She is deceased and I do have her death certificate.

I know now I should have gotten it before NYC closed down access, but it never occurred to me that there would be a time I would not be able to get it.

I may need a lawyer to file the paperwork and submit it to the court, and that's fine. My son would be able to travel to NYC if necessary.

Does anyone here know of a lawyer that can file the proper paperwork for this? And if a personal appearance is required, can my son go in my stead?

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed in another thread.

Pam
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: My deceased mother's birth certificate.

Post by nuccia »

I could be wrong but if she has been deceased for a certain period and you can prove relationship and are able to provide a valid reason for the request you *should* be able to get a copy. I would be making some phone calls - perhaps the Embassy might be able to help as well.

Good luck!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database