Trying to locate a US Navy veteran's discharge records

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
r&r

Trying to locate a US Navy veteran's discharge records

Post by r&r »

We have an ancestor, Joseph Louis Nuzzo, who had served 30 years in the US Navy. We have been able to find and obtain records where he served i.e. Guam and the Virgin Islands and retired from active duty in September 1950 in Hawaii. He died Jan 15, 1961. The one item that we really want to find is his discharge papers from the navy. We would appreciate any help in obtaining copies of his honorable discharge.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Trying to locate a US Navy veteran's discharge records

Post by Biff83 »

Since he retired after 31 Dec 1949, the form you need is a DD Form 214 from the National Archives (see link below). However, requests can only be made by the veteran's:

Surviving spouse who has not remarried
Father
Mother
Son
Daughter
Sister
Brother

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/milit ... ce-records
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
r&r

Post by r&r »

Thanks very much for the info. We are going to obtain the DD Form 214 and proceed from there.
GamesBX2018

Post by GamesBX2018 »

I want to tell you is it great
Thank you for all
GamesBX
GamesBX
alexsha

Post by alexsha »

r&r wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 05:37 We have an ancestor, Joseph Louis Nuzzo, who had served 30 years in the US Navy. We have been able to find and obtain records where he served i.e. Guam and the Virgin Islands and retired from active duty in September 1950 in Hawaii. He died Jan 15, 1961. The one item that we really want to find ar app development company is his discharge papers from the navy. We would appreciate any help in obtaining copies of his honorable discharge.