Meaning of Donata

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Nick_Lamaine
Rookie
Rookie

Meaning of Donata

Post by Nick_Lamaine »

Hello all, I am new to this family research and the Italian language. I have notice a few female names carry "Donata" in the name. Is this the name or more of a title like "Miss, Mrs.". Like my great grandmother x removed name was Donata Filomena Lamaina. Would her first name be Filomena or Donata. Trying to get a handle on all the languages of the countries my family came from is a challenge.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Meaning of Donata

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Welcome to the form!

Donata is a female Italian given name. I've not seen it has a title before. Donato would be the male version. They both mean “given/gift (of God)”.

In the records you may see Don and Donna, (i.e. Lord and Lady), which are titles of respect, usually given to individuals who were of high social standing within a community – people of great wealth, education etc. They were often given to people like property owners, priests, doctors, lawyers etc.

Angela
Nick_Lamaine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nick_Lamaine »

Thank you.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Happy to help. Possibly the reason why you have a repetition of the name Donata in your records is because of the Italian naming tradition. The first daughter born is given her paternal grandmother's (Christian) name, then the second daughter born is given her maternal grandmother's name. The same pattern follows with male babies – first son is given paternal grandfather's name, the second son is given maternal grandfathers name.

Angela
Nick_Lamaine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nick_Lamaine »

Thank you again. Do you know if the name Donata is a common or popular name?
NickAndreola
Elite
Elite

Post by NickAndreola »

In the locations in Italy that I've researched, Donata is not very commonly used . The masculine, Donato, is seen more frequently.

About 250 Andreola's in my tree; 0 Donata's (including Maria Donata's) / 5 Donato's

About 125 Fino's; 0 Donata's (including Maria Donata's) / 0 Donato's

About 100 Venditti's; 1 Donata's (including Maria Donata's) / 0 Donato's -2 Donatantonio's

About 75 Ferrucci's; 0 Donata's (1 Maria Donata's) / 3 Donato's

So--not very common in these areas at least.......
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Nick_Lamaine wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 04:03 Thank you again. Do you know if the name Donata is a common or popular name?
My experience has been similar to Nick's, in that I have come across a lot more males called Donato than females called Donata. I think that possibly Donata may have been a popular name for a time, at various times, in some towns, even if it was just to follow the Italian naming pattern and keep Nonna happy. I also haven't come across the name Donata a lot in my own research. It certainly has a lovely meaning. I think possibly the most popular Italian name would be Maria, which in comparison doesn't have such a nice meaning.

Angela
Ascertain20

Post by Ascertain20 »

My Great Aunt, Donata also went by Dora if this helps.
ameb10
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ameb10 »

I have a few Donatas in my tree as well, especially from the Bari area. My great aunt was born in the United States, but her parents still kept up the Italian naming pattern. Her birth name was Donata, but she went by Dorothy.
Surnames: Abbondanza/Bondanza, Nolfo, Ragusa, Limoli, Cannizzo, Ticli, Lamonica, D’Angelo, Rana/Rano, Monopoli, Armourso, Sasso, La Vega, Quercia, Cavalla, Simone, di Pinto, Chiaromonte, & Mastrotoaro