Software/Website Ideas

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
JamesM
Elite
Elite

Software/Website Ideas

Post by JamesM »

I started helping relatives and friends with their family trees a bit over two years ago.
Also I live in a comune where close to 40% have the surname Moretti/Moretta (depending the the transcriptionist at the time)
It seems that all the ones I have helped have roots in the Moretti name and are all ancestors.

I started making separate trees on Ancestry but could not merge them together. Then tried making one larger tree to fuse a few trees together but the duplicates were unmanageable.

Then I used Familysearch but now I notice there are many duplicates and edits added by others. I receive an email from Familysearch every week of those that I watch. Last email I had over 200 changes. I prefer Familysearch because I can add unrelated people so much easier than Ancestry, in hopes future records will link these added people to the larger tree.

Any ideas or recommendations for other software or websites that may help?

Thanks
James
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Software/Website Ideas

Post by ffusiak »

I personally use Family Tree Maker 2019 as it sync with Ancestry and FamilySearch (although I do not sync with FamilySearch because of the reason you stated of people altering my tree).

I have multiple trees on Ancestry and can merge tree with Family Tree Maker.

There is a website (http://www.gensoftreviews.com) that review genealogy software. It also documents a few free programs (Gramps) but it did not meet my needs.