Italians in Azerbaijan?!?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italians in Azerbaijan?!?

Post by Lenauk »

arturo.c wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 08:33 I lived in Baku for three and half years between 2000 and 2004, and while there I never heard about an Italian community settling there anytime in its history.

However, at the time of the "oil boom" between the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century, there could have been some Italian engineers and tradesmen that lived there for a time.

There was also a sizable Italian community in the Crimean peninsula which dated its origins in the early 1800s. Probably some of its members might have moved to the Caucasus region in search of work.

That's it! Oh please, do you know which areas they settled their names or whatever else. Please give me all the information you have.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

Lenauk wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 12:07
qualdom wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 15:42
Lenauk wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 22:02 I actually asked her, she said he was in the police forces in Lebanon but he was born in Azerbaijan

https://www.customscollector.com/index. ... 40-lebanon

Explanation explained, still I don't get the heritage report but I guess people get around everywhere.
That information makes me think he is Armenian since so many Armenians lived in Azerbaijan at one point and so many moved to Lebanon after 1915. However, I'm not sure that an Armenian in Azerbaijan would have been affected by the Armenian Genocide, I thought that really only impacted Western Armenia (i.e. Anatolia).
Yes but his surname does not end in Yan or Ian like Armenians. I am not under the impression that they are ethnically Azerbaijani i.e Dagestanis as he has no Mongolic traits and looks very Pontid, the only options is that he could be a Pontian Greek, a Caucasian Albanian ( which were the original population or Azerbaijan I think they call them Udi ) or some native Anatolian I wouldn't know how to define it. He could be Georgian but as I say there are only one ethnic Georgian who is Pontid and that is the Laz who are an indigenous population around the black sea. it still doesn't explain the high amount of Italian in my family but it could just be from the Romans. It was 25 percent on a test which makes sense as he is my grand uncle ( grandmother's brother ) He is Pontid racially.
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Post by arturo.c »

Lenauk wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 12:08
arturo.c wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 08:33 I lived in Baku for three and half years between 2000 and 2004, and while there I never heard about an Italian community settling there anytime in its history.

However, at the time of the "oil boom" between the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century, there could have been some Italian engineers and tradesmen that lived there for a time.

There was also a sizable Italian community in the Crimean peninsula which dated its origins in the early 1800s. Probably some of its members might have moved to the Caucasus region in search of work.

That's it! Oh please, do you know which areas they settled their names or whatever else. Please give me all the information you have.
I don't have much information about them, but they have an association with their own Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/aicerkio/.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

arturo.c wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 12:01
Lenauk wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 12:08

I don't have much information about them, but they have an association with their own Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/aicerkio/.
This could very much be it! Thank you so much! Thank you for all your help it's appreciated by me and my family.