Ancestry.......

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Ancestry.......

Post by wldspirit »

Yes, Ancestry is expensive and can sometimes be fustrating.......but invaluable when researching from the comfort of your own home.
Not always feasible to make a trip to the library or genealogy society.
When I do make those trips, I have enough documentation pulled from Ancestry to focus my search, thereby saving time.......so for me, it is money well spent.
I also use it here at the forum to help others.........and I agree Maria.....not always sure it is fully appreciated.
As for the download of images, everything is running smoothly, and even imageshack has been co-operative lately........sometimes my images do appear smaller, and I use the larger file size, but will try the setting you suggested and see what happens......
wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Maria,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I also use the same method for imageshack but not sure why lately sometimes the images are not sizing correctly. I honestly am beginning to believe that there are different urls which lead you to the same program but some work better then others..if I type in www.imageshack.us or imageshack alone..or whatever drop down link I choose from I get different types of advertising or sometimes none at all...will have to study this theory more careful before I make my decesion.

Like you, I only use ancestry now for the forum. I did all my family research during the trial period as well last fall and now only use it for the forum. Linking takes an enormous amount of time..especially if you need to link more than one image. This morning alone I had to link about five images and it took a good 15-20 minutes...sometimes the program doesn't work, sometimes you need to find the proper spelling, sometimes the kids call...

Remember, I couldn't link anything when I started and if it wasn't for you and wldspirit and just taking the time to experiment I still wouldn't know.

It just take practice..ususally I don't mind but sometimes I'd rather be looking for info than linking it!

We all do what we can though.....

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi everyone
I know this link is about Ancestry but I have a question to ask about imageshak, if you dont mind?
I can now post a link provided it is something that I have stored in my picture folder but could someone please exlain how to do a link from a ship's manifest page or a census page. I haven't registered with imagshak yet, would that make any difference?

Also I can't seem to be able to get a 'print out' that I can read from any of the ships manifests that have been posted to me. I've tried enlarging the image before printing but I only got a small portion of the data.

Be grateful for any help you can give
Emmy
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

This may or may not be the problem....but in the past when I tried to print the manifest images, due to their large size, I to only got part of an image and not the whole image......I settled for a small copy of the entire page and used a magnifying glass........ :?

I have yet to experiment with them since, but somehow the image needs to cover an entire two pages......??

wldspirit
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

manifest images, the old fashioned way (revised w/more detail)

Screen Print for Windows XP

put the 'enlarged version' manifest up on your screen (full screen)
scroll to the section you want to copy first on your screen

hold down 'ctrl' key
hit 'prt screen' key (upper right of keyboard somewhere)

open a document (I use word pad)
change setting to 'landscape'
right click mouse
choose 'paste'
your captured image of the manifest should appear
print it

repeat process
moving the enlarged image on your screen to capture it
until you've got the whole image screen captured, pasted on
word pad & printed

then trim the ugly stuff & tape together

if this doesn't work, try a google search for a 'how to' computer screen print for whatever operating system your using?

vj
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Ahhh......a computer whiz!!!!!!!! :D

Most of the time when I experiment with these programs......I end up forgetting what steps I took to get where I did......
I have programs on this new computer that I have not even bothered to
open because I am clueless as to what they do........ :roll:

I am going to try your steps as the magnifying glass just isn't the same as viewing it in it's original size......
Lisa
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Lisa,VJ
I have tried what you suggested but nothing happens when I try to use ctr and 'print screen' buttons.Whether I enlarge the manifest or not it doesn't allow me to highlight the part I want to copy. Idid 'select all'
then copy and pasted it into a word document. I did manage to print out a copy of that but the print is so small I doubt if I would see anything even with a magnifying glass.
Maybe I should try giving this computer a kick :roll: :wink: or else get one that would work if I just sat there and told it what to do.

Many Thanks
God Bless
Emmy
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Emmy.....If you find one that does what it's told to do on command........
then I want one!!!!!!

I developed a love hate relationship with computers long ago...... :P

Lisa
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Everyone...

I think I figured it out! :D :D emmy...am trying to figure out what I did exactly to post the instructions...I'll keep you updated in a bit! :D

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ok, I was able to properly print a 2 page manifest so that it was legible and all the info fit but I am having trouble with the one page manifests...not all the info shows up when printed but I am determined to figure this out!

Shoot...I really thought I was on to something.... :? :cry:

nuccia
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Sorry Gals
'for putting the cat among the pigeons'
Have I just given you all headaches?: here's another one.
Do I really need to register with imageshak to be able to link a manifest
to a post?
I can just imagine you all sitting at your computers tearing your hair out, and me just sitting here with a coffee --not true, I'm trying too but I'm almost ready to give this computer a good 'blasting' for not doing what I want it to do.
Lisa if I do find THAT computer I'll keep you all in mind.
Nuccia When something works with me I often cant remember what I did to make it work - I think my computer has taken a dislike to me :cry: :cry:
Love to all
Thanks for trying
God Bless
Emmy
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

emmy..

You never give any of us a headache! We're all here to help you! I remember what I did but it won't work again...maybe becasue the census I tried to print the second time was only one page and therefore longer/wider????

I refuse to give up though..Have been trying for a few hours now (I need to replace my ink cart. too... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry..we'll get it sooner or later.

Meanwhile, this is a great site to help you transcribe the info and fill in from your computer..

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilpip1gs/manif ... _forms.htm

I love it!

nuccia :D
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

edited screen print process above - may be different depending on computer operating systems? vj
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Thanks Nuccia
I wouldnt really need to print the manifest's out now I have those forms. But I'm still going to keep trying to see if I can master it. I made this list out to use to help me keep track. Sorry about the space it's taken up It wouldn't work with imageshak but it worked by just copying from a word doc. and pasting here.
Love Emmy

NAME ___________________________________________

Relative : __________________________________________________________________________________________

Mother’s Name : ____________________________________________________________________________

Father’s Name : _____________________________________________________________________________

Date of Birth : _______________________________________________________________________________

Place of Birth : _______________________________________________________________________________

Date of Baptism : _____________________________________________________________________________

Parish where Baptised : ________________________________________________________________________

Date/place of Marriage : _______________________________________________________________________

Age when married : _________________________________

Name of Spouse : _____________________________________________________________________________

Age when married : _________________________________

Immigrated to : _________________________________________________________ Date : ________________

Ship’s manifest details : ________________________________________________________________________

Where they lived: _____________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Place and date of death : ________________________________________________________________________

List of certificates obtained; Where found; records of micro films etc. letters etc.

Birth Acts : __________________________________________________________________________________

Marriage Certifcate : ___________________________________________________________________________

Ship’s Manifest : ______________________________________________________________________________

Death Certificate : _____________________________________________________________________________

Census Records : ______________________________________________________________________________
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Great form emmy...whatever helps keep you organized then go for it!

You have me motivated to clean up some of my own research..been a bit busy with other things lately and haven't done much but I think I just might try now!

vj, I tried your instructions which didn't work for me...but I'm running foxfire so that may be why. If I open a PDF file which adobe recognizes then I can use the print screen function.. Maria runs a MAC and can also copy screen images...great system. I am going to take your advice and google it and see what we can learn.

Lisa...what system do you run? Have you ever tried any of these things?

nuccia :D