Campobasso is one of the least expensive cities in Italy

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Campobasso is one of the least expensive cities in Italy

Post by JohnArmellino »

(AGI) - Rome, 22 April. - Genoa, Bologna, Trieste and Bolzano are the most expensive cities. In 2006 they registered higher prices than the national average for food, clothing and [footware] as well as home furnishings. This was released in an investigation into "the differences in the prices between the main Italian regions" and was carried out by Istat, the Unioncamere and the Instituto Guglielmo Tagliacarne. The least expensive in terms of prices were Naples Aquila, Campobasso and Palermo. "This research" said the chairman of Istat, Luigi Biggeri, "does not take into account expenses but looks at the different levels of prices on a territorial basis". The chairman of Unioncamere, Andrea Mondello said "this work is an extraordinary to understanding the evaluation and the state of inflation in geographical areas and can be used in a more complex understanding of the Italian system".
John Armellino
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Campobasso is one of the least expensive cities in Italy

Post by BillieDeKid »

This is interesting John. Do the stats actually list any examples of the cost differences? Shoes in Campobasso price and shoes in Serra San Bruno (for example).

I'd be interested to see that actual differences. Thanks for posting this.

Elizabeth
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Elizabeth - I haven't seen the original report, just the article that I cut and pasted. Last time I was in Campobasso in 2006, the cost of food and lodging was much cheaper than that in Rome and Sorrento. A nice clean pensione was only 39 euro for two people. Pizza and gelati was about half of the price in Rome. Unfortunately, with the exchange rate, no Italian city is cheap for Americans today.

PS: I think that the price of SPAM is the same everywhere. LOL
John Armellino
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Well let's be honest John - living anywhere in Italy at the moment isn't 'cheap' - especially for the Italians. Never mind a study of the cost of living in 2006... since then prices have risen at a frightening rate - whereas wages have NOT INCREASED FOR MORE THAN FOUR YEARS....

The current average Italian wage is about €700 - €850 per month ($1110pm/$256pw - $1350pm/$311pw). Yet staples like bread and pasta have risen by 30% in the last couple of months. Gas is about €1.40 ($2.25) per litre, and to make ends meet the average working class family must be very careful where they shop. City centre shops are almost a 'no no' for them - they're more likely to shop at the local market or supermarket... Cost of utilities is rising so fast that one wonders how the bills are ever going to be paid if a reasonable standard of living is maintained. Debt is now at an horrendous level, caused often by people being unable to pay their way anymore and forcing their creditors into debt too.

Something has got to give - the question is - WHAT and WHEN?
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Elba - That certainly is a bleak picture. As a visitor to Italy, I never really get a feel for the economic realities there. I hope that the average family gets a break soon, both in Italy and the USA (and elsewhere as well).
John Armellino