Search found 2220 matches

by mler
Yesterday, 14:47
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Pre 1983 marriage
Replies: 4
Views: 221

Re: Pre 1983 marriage

No, this was automatic citizenship, not naturalization.
by mler
11 Apr 2019, 01:16
Topic: Children turning 18 while waiting for eligibility of parent
Replies: 2
Views: 94

Re: Children turning 18 while waiting for eligibility of parent

BTW, if you submit your application while your son is still a minor, he will be recognized with you even if he reaches his majority after the case is settled. That seems the best approach.
by mler
11 Apr 2019, 01:12
Topic: Children turning 18 while waiting for eligibility of parent
Views: 94

Re: Children turning 18 while waiting for eligibility of parent

My quess is the latter. I was interested in this because although my son applied with me, my daughter did not. I was told that if she applied at the same consulate at which I applied (fortunately, she would) they would then reference my application, but if she applied at another consulate, she would...
by mler
10 Apr 2019, 14:25
Topic: Information about my italian ancestors
Replies: 4
Views: 563

Re: Information about my italian ancestors

You stated that your gf never became an Italian citizen in your first post. I’m guessing you mean “US citizen”. If that is the case and there were no other naturalizations along the line, you do qualify. Unfortunately, you will have to prove that no naturalizations took place both in the US and in V...
by mler
06 Apr 2019, 22:40
Topic: Dual Citizenship Complicated Case - questions
Replies: 3
Views: 173

Re: Dual Citizenship Complicated Case - questions

You’ve already done the hard part. The rest will be relatively easy. Note that Italian documents should be certified but obviously don’t require apostilles. Your contention is that your gggm obtained US citizenship automatically through marriage. Because she didn’t herself naturalize, she retained h...
by mler
06 Apr 2019, 13:55
Topic: Dual Citizenship Complicated Case - questions
Views: 173

Re: Dual Citizenship Complicated Case - questions

1. Naturalization information is critical. You need to prove he did naturalize (and when) or that he never naturalized. Nothing proceeds without this information. 2. If your gggf naturalized in 1888, your grandmother naturalized as well. Since she would not have done so on her own behalf, you would ...
by mler
04 Apr 2019, 23:42
Topic: Jure Sanguinis - how does it work?
Views: 142

Re: Jure Sanguinis - how does it work?

It’s rather straightforward. Citizenship is passed from parent to child at birth (except if the child was born before 1948, he could obtain citizenship only through his father. Courts have ruled otherwise, but that would require the services of a lawyer). To obtain citizenship recognition, the appli...
by mler
04 Apr 2019, 16:44
Topic: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)
Replies: 6
Views: 207

Re: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)

No, not a 1948 case. Your grandfather transmitted citizenship to your mother (and subsequently lost his citizenship when he naturalized). You were born after 1948 so your mom was able to transmit citizenship to you according to Italian law.
by mler
04 Apr 2019, 16:13
Topic: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)
Replies: 6
Views: 207

Re: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship? (1948 rule?)

Your father’s side is a no go. He was born in Italy and his father naturalized while he was a minor. He naturalized with his father, and at that time, the line ended. You mother’s side is not a problem. Even though her father naturalized when she was a minor, she was born in the US and was, thus, un...
by mler
03 Apr 2019, 17:46
Topic: Do I qualify for duel citizenship?
Replies: 1
Views: 103

Re: Do I qualify for duel citizenship?

It seems your gm was a minor when her father naturalized. Since she was born in Italy, she naturalized with him, and citizenship ended at that time.

Any other possibilities?
by mler
31 Mar 2019, 15:00
Topic: Born abroad and discrepancies
Views: 105

Re: Born abroad and discrepancies

No real issues

Your gf may have simply added the name he took at confirmation.

Minor discrepancies on non-line documents are rarely problematic.

In Italy, women do not take their husband’s surname, so your bc will not need amending.
by mler
27 Mar 2019, 14:07
Topic: Finding pre-USCIS evidence of US naturalization
Replies: 8
Views: 285

Re: Finding pre-USCIS evidence of US naturalization

Except for the age discrepancy, this document should suffice. If he claimed he arrived in the US as a minor, he would have automatically received US citizenship based on his father’s naturalization. The Certificate is actually confirmation of that fact. Your problem, of course is connecting this Cer...
by mler
25 Mar 2019, 12:48
Topic: Pre 1983 Marriage Case?
Views: 131

Re: Pre 1983 Marriage Case

Yes, women automatically acquired Italian citizenship when they married before 1983 so it seems you would qualify. However, the problem I see is that your gm did not “acquire” citizenship in 1951; she “reacquired” citizenship, a technical difference but a difference nonetheless. Despite this, you sh...