Search found 2246 matches

by mler
Yesterday, 16:49
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Dual citizenship - parents' divorce record?
Replies: 3
Views: 60

Re: Dual citizenship - parents' divorce record?

I would not bother submitting any of their divorce records. If either one had divorced prior to their marriage, that divorce would be applicable to you because it confirmed the legitimacy of their marriage. Since their divorce occurred well after you were born, it is not relevant.
by mler
Yesterday, 16:45
Topic: Do I still have a shot at JS via a 1948 case?
Replies: 1
Views: 31

Re: Do I still have a shot at JS via a 1948 case?

Yes, you do have a 1948 case. Let’s assume your gggf did indeed naturalize. USCIS would be unlikely to have his records (I believe they started keeping them in 1906 and, at any rate, it appears he may have naturalized in the county in which he resided). Because the marriage took place before the 192...
by mler
21 Jun 2019, 00:51
Topic: Can I Get My Italian Citizenship
Replies: 5
Views: 247

Re: Can I Get My Italian Citizenship

That’s very true.

It only works if you have independent wealth or regular income (like pensions). If he was born in 1956, JoeInDallas is 63 and close to retirement with pension and/or social security income. That makes it quite doable.
by mler
20 Jun 2019, 16:41
Topic: Can I Get My Italian Citizenship
Views: 247

Re: Can I Get My Italian Citizenship

You can naturalize in Italy after residing there for three years.
by mler
20 Jun 2019, 16:40
Topic: Emigration to The States 1909 1914
Replies: 1
Views: 63

Re: Emigration to The States 1909 1914

He could, most certainly, have arrived at a different port. But never assume that if you don’t locate passage information, that a trip did not take place. I know my mom traveled to and from Italy with my gm, but I was never able to locate the passage documents.
by mler
17 Jun 2019, 14:09
Topic: Referrals for Assistance with JS Application
Replies: 2
Views: 103

Re: Referrals for Assistance with JS Application

You can use VitalCheck to get most of your US documents. I think they are also expensive, but they make life easier. Definitely, get apostilles yourself. A service is much more costly.

I used avepally at fiverr for translations. Great translations, reasonably priced, and fast turnaround.
by mler
08 Jun 2019, 12:32
Topic: New 1912 Rule Controversy
Replies: 6
Views: 440

Re: New 1912 Rule Controversy

Someone posted this experience on Facebook and on Tapatalk.

Keep in mind, though, that no one has yet been rejected outright, and 1948 lawyers seem to still be accepting cases with these date issues. Also, no negative reports from comuni.

This issue has yet to be resolved.
by mler
25 May 2019, 17:08
Topic: New 1912 Rule Controversy
Replies: 6

Re: New 1912 Rule Controversy

I’ve heard about this as well. We saw something similar happen several years ago when SF began turning down applicants whose ancestors had naturalized before 1912. Soon that interpretation was accepted at all the consulates. This new interpretation seems to be in the early stages, and there is no ce...
by mler
23 May 2019, 19:25
Topic: 1948 Rule. Am I disqualified?
Views: 218

Re: 1948 Rule. Am I disqualified?

OR, you are absolutely correct. If the father is applying, however, he would have no choice but to use the 1948 approach, and his child could certainly apply with him without demonstrating alternative approaches. I hesitate to mention this because it may cause some anxiety, but perhaps someone here ...
by mler
23 May 2019, 15:24
Topic: 1948 Rule. Am I disqualified?
Views: 218

Re: 1948 Rule. Am I disqualified?

If, your gf was still an Italian citizen when Lillian was born and your father was born before 1948, you have a 1948 case. You don’t have enough information about your mother’s line at this point to determine qualification. Since your parents married before 1983, if your father’s citizenship is reco...
by mler
16 May 2019, 14:03
Topic: Eligibility: Being Born a Dual IT-US Citizen via Derivative US Citizenship

Re: Eligibility: Being Born a Dual IT-US Citizen via Derivative US Citizenship

The only problem I see is that your gf obtained his citizenship jure sanguinis, not jus soli. I don’t know how this affects your eligibility, but since his father never naturalized, it may be ok. The Certificate of Citizenship may raise questions at the consulate because it is further evidence that ...
by mler
10 May 2019, 18:18
Topic: Interesting JS case- Do we have a shot?
Replies: 10
Views: 636

Re: Interesting JS case- Do we have a shot?

From what I’ve read, before the 1907 Expatriation Act, a US-born woman did not lose US citizenship when she married a foreigner. That was US law. Italian law at the time said the wife acquired the citizenship of the husband (so, in a sense, both countries considered her to be a citizen). She then lo...
by mler
07 May 2019, 00:55
Topic: Translation Recommendations
Views: 345

Re: Translation Recommendations

Avepally at https://www.fiverr.com/ did my latest documents. Beautifully done, fast and reasonable.