Search found 5206 matches

by johnnyonthespot
19 Jun 2014, 12:35
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: how do i post a document?
Replies: 6
Views: 1336

Re: how do i post a document?

The board has limits both to the size (in bytes) of an individual image and the total bytes of all images you may have ever uploaded. These limits are much lower than you might imagine. One way to upload new images when you have reached your limit is to go to the User Control Panel -> Manage Attachm...
by johnnyonthespot
16 Jun 2014, 14:28
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Villages or areas near Belmonte Calabro Cosenza in Calabria.
Replies: 4
Views: 1675

Re: Villages or areas near Belmonte Calabro Cosenza in Calab

If it helps, the "comuni confinanti" (neighboring communities) are Amantea, Lago, Longobardi, Mendicino and San Pietro in Amantea. If you use an Android smartphone or tablet, I can highly recommend the "Comune d'Italia" app available from the Google Play Store; it is full of neat...
by johnnyonthespot
16 Jun 2014, 14:05
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Villages or areas near Belmonte Calabro Cosenza in Calabria.
Replies: 4
Views: 1675

Re: Villages or areas near Belmonte Calabro Cosenza in Calab

What do you consider "near"? You can certainly get an idea simply by looking at Google Map of the area https://www.google.com/maps/place/87033+Belmonte+Calabro+CS/@39.1608456,16.0794628,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x133fc0c09b280083:0xba550388e7e79e78 zooming in and out to see the names of surroun...
by johnnyonthespot
16 Jun 2014, 14:00
Topic: How do I get genealogical records from Italy?
Replies: 6
Views: 1856

Re: How do I get genealogical records from Italy?

Once you get back to the mid-1800's everything gets decidedly more difficult and a great deal will depend on the area (Northern Italy vs. Southern Italy) and even the specific comune. As some point, you will need to engage the services of a local genealogist to make any progress at all. Where in Ita...
by johnnyonthespot
14 Jun 2014, 17:20
Topic: Researching
Replies: 3
Views: 804

Re: Researching

adelfio wrote: We have great Italian researchers Suanj,Marcello,Pippo as users on this site who are very reliable and are good people who deal with these comune and churches every day....
And ItalySearcher as well!
by johnnyonthespot
14 Jun 2014, 08:48
Topic: Military records - what age?
Replies: 29
Views: 3773

Re: Military records - what age?

... Carmine, I don't think he went back to Italy or left the US until he got his citizenship in the mid-50s. So I'm puzzled as well as to why there are no military records of him in the US. Ugh! He naturalized?? Both his declaration of intent and petition for naturalization should list his place of...
by johnnyonthespot
13 Jun 2014, 21:21
Topic: Born where?
Replies: 20
Views: 3542

Re: Born where?

113yearslater wrote:Just tried this: I'm finding Giusti and Carmassi coming from a place called Massarosa, and a few from another place called Lucca. (Same place, apparently.)
Lucca is the name of a province and also the name of the province's capital city. Massarosa is one of the 35 comuni of Lucca province.
by johnnyonthespot
13 Jun 2014, 16:12

I was having a hard time making out the name; I suppose it could be Giovanni.

I am still having a hard time locating a WWI or WWII draft registration card for either brother. I find this quite bothersome. :(
by johnnyonthespot
13 Jun 2014, 15:26

If you are willing to spend $27, you might find useful info on Vincenzo's original Social Security Application form. See here for details: http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_records/a/ss5_request.htm Fair warning: some of these forms simply say "Italy" for place of birth; others may show...
by johnnyonthespot
13 Jun 2014, 14:35

I took a quick look at ancestry.com and found remarkably few records for Vincenzo; his social security death record and passenger manifest and not much else. Here is what ancestry.com has to say about WWI and WWII draft registrations: In 1917 and 1918, approximately 24 million men living in the Unit...
by johnnyonthespot
12 Jun 2014, 19:40

Thank you very much for the info! The problem is I don't know exactly the comune he was born in. I know he was from the province Reggio Calabria, and the comune listed on his Ellis Island paper as his last residence -Anoia. But I've had someone check there for me and they have no record of his birt...
by johnnyonthespot
12 Jun 2014, 14:15
Topic: PROFFESSIONAL RESEARCH IN SICILY
Replies: 11
Views: 2623

Re: PROFFESSIONAL RESEARCH IN SICILY

Perhaps you need to accept the possibility that that is just the way it is. If records don't exist, then they don't exist.

Your best bet is to hire a competent researcher on the ground in Sicily. Give him/her a fixed budget to work with and see if anything can be found.
by johnnyonthespot
11 Jun 2014, 20:11
Topic: Newspaper article questions
Replies: 5
Views: 1400

Re: Newspaper article questions

I found this: http://nycprop.nyc.gov/nycproperty/nyna ... esslst.jsp

Of course, the data doesn't go back nearly far enough. Perhaps you can contact the office and inquire about availability of earlier records.
by johnnyonthespot
11 Jun 2014, 20:01

More than likely, he would not have been permitted to leave Italy unless his military obligation had been fulfilled or he had been ruled ineligible for health or other reasons. Sometime soon after his year of birth the comune would have created a book - the Registro di Leva - containing the names of...
by johnnyonthespot
11 Jun 2014, 19:53
Topic: Newspaper article questions
Replies: 5
Views: 1400

Re: Newspaper article questions

What city is that in?

Generally speaking, try to find the city's website and click through to the Assessor's office. Once there, you will often find links to real estate tax assessments, recent sales, ownership, etc.