Search found 990 matches

by carubia
07 Sep 2017, 17:38
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Baiamonte-Cannariato marriage record
Replies: 17
Views: 335

Re: Baiamonte-Cannariato marriage record

So maybe it was Rosa Scoma Nicolai, indicating her father's given name.
by carubia
07 Sep 2017, 07:02
Topic: Baiamonte-Cannariato marriage record
Replies: 17
Views: 335

Re: Baiamonte-Cannariato marriage record

Scoma is a fairly common name in Sciacca, a much bigger place next to Menfi. Nicolosi is common in Agrigento and Palermo provinces, but I don't know about in Prizzi. OTOH, I don't think Nicolini is found there now. Looking at a map of the distribution of surnames in Italy, it seems to be predominant...
by carubia
29 Aug 2017, 14:31
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: re: the elusive francesco landino
Replies: 9
Views: 206

Re: re: the elusive francesco landino

It is certainly possible that a US consulate would've had a record of the death. One can find reports of the death of US citizens abroad on say, Ancestry, but I don't know if I've seen one pre-WWII. I suppose the records must've been kept somewhere at the State Dept.
by carubia
29 Aug 2017, 03:35

First of all, i'm assuming that your ancestor did not die after 2002, so that that act would not apply to him. So the Italian authorities would notify the US consulate or diplomatic authorities, not a US city directly. Second, the US consulate would not notify someone's hometown because, as I pointe...
by carubia
28 Aug 2017, 18:30
Topic: re:discontinuation of lds film ordering program
Replies: 11
Views: 428

Re: re:discontinuation of lds film ordering program

If previously they were only viewable on microfilm, how is this any worse? Either way, you would have to travel to an FHC.
by carubia
28 Aug 2017, 12:52

You will search in vain for any such record from Italian officials to US ones. Have you ever seen a record from a foreign government when an Italian citizen died abroad? Instead, you see either a report from Italian consular or diplomatic authorities or a declaration from a relative in Italy, accomp...
by carubia
28 Aug 2017, 07:59

if he did die there,would whatever comune he may have died in had to report his death to whatever place here in the usa he last resided,since he was a naturalized citizen? No, of course not. What obligation would a comune have had to report anything to the US? OTOH, the US consulate may have report...
by carubia
28 Aug 2017, 07:55
Topic: re:discontinuation of lds film ordering program
Replies: 11
Views: 428

Re: re:discontinuation of lds film ordering program

The Family History Center near me has a separate office in a different building where they keep the microfilm scanner. That building is scheduled to be torn down in October, so I asked where they were going to put the scanner. They replied that they have no room for the scanner in their main office,...
by carubia
28 Aug 2017, 07:47
Topic: Sicilian Riveli Records are Online!
Replies: 2
Views: 102

Re: Sicilian Riveli Records are Online!

Thanks for the info. Can you post a link? I don't see any collections of Riveli on familysearch.org.
by carubia
28 Aug 2017, 07:43
Topic: 1847-1850 Death Records Missing
Replies: 7
Views: 264

Re: 1847-1850 Death Records Missing

datxcali wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 06:37
Are the post 1866 records in the same place as the pre-1866 records?
Not necessarily. The pre-1866 (or pre-1862 in some places) records were transferred to the State Archives, but the post-1866 records may still be at the courthouse.
by carubia
28 Aug 2017, 05:51

It may be that these records were lost from the courthouse's duplicate copies that are the source of the State Archive's records (which are what you see on Antenati). The comune may still have a copy, though. For example, for Ribera, there are no records for 1820 at the State Archives, but I have co...
by carubia
22 Aug 2017, 20:22

Those records may have been found in the Diverso records from a different year. Or maybe they were from a different comune's records, but the place of death happened to be Racalmuto.
by carubia
16 Aug 2017, 12:51
Topic: Giuseppe Di Matteo, Trabia
Views: 694

Re: Giuseppe Di Matteo, Trabia

His father was Ignazio and his mother was Giuseppa. i'm not sure about her surname but it looks like Camilla or Cancilla.
by carubia
01 Aug 2017, 20:52
Topic: Gallo, Mancuso, Gentile
Replies: 13
Views: 611

Re: Gallo, Mancuso, Gentile

Thanks for the info, Helen. You're right about Giuseppe being born in 1844 instead of Vincenzo. It appears that that misinformation came from someone else's tree. I found Giovanni's birth record in 1835 on Antenati as you said (I couldn't find it on familysearch). However, I can't find the Francesca...
by carubia
01 Aug 2017, 02:31
Topic: Need translation please: Giuseppe Mistretta Birth Record 1731
Replies: 3
Views: 113

Re: Need translation please: Giuseppe Mistretta Birth Record 1731

Giovanni Giuseppe Mistretta was baptized on January 20-something. I can't make out what the second digit is. 4? 0? 7? 9? There are a number of different possibilities. He was born at night, but I can't make out the next word. Maybe it's an abbreviation for praevius or praeiens (previous, preceding),...