Search found 1065 matches

by carubia
15 Nov 2017, 09:26
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: research problems with parish records
Replies: 5
Views: 157

Re: research problems with parish records

Well, your French Canadian research depends on the work of people who indexed all those records and filmed them and put them online. Those are pretty "specialized" conditions. And how many French Canadians are there? How far back does their history go? How many churches records were filmed? Compare ...
by carubia
15 Nov 2017, 08:11
Topic: research problems with parish records
Views: 157

Re: research problems with parish records

Often church records are grouped together in collections spanning multiple years, even decades, with an index at the front, so it can be easier for search for, say, a marriage or death record than with civil records, where you have to check each year's index. Yesterday I looked up some church marria...
by carubia
13 Nov 2017, 04:44
Topic: Using Mother's Surname
Replies: 7
Views: 214

Re: Using Mother's Surname

I've seen that many times on a civil birth record (where the mother's surname is her mother's name), but it is not as common as on marriage and death records. However, I don't recall seeing it on a baptismal record either. Then again, I haven't looked at as many baptismal records as I have birth rec...
by carubia
12 Nov 2017, 05:49
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Please help us read the Marriage of Antonio Valenza & Maria Puccio #14 - 1 Jun 1834 ?
Replies: 9
Views: 210

Re: Please help us read the Marriage of Antonio Valenza & Maria Puccio #14 - 1 Jun 1834 ?

It looks more like Mursia to me, but could be Murgia. I note that the letter looks different from the middle g in Giugno in the same document, but that isn't that significant, since it is not unusual to see the same letter written more than one way in the same document. However, in Geraci Siculo now...
by carubia
12 Nov 2017, 05:38
Topic: What Are Entries After Birth Records?
Replies: 13
Views: 304

Re: What Are Entries After Birth Records?

No need to apologize, February. Glad to be of help.
by carubia
11 Nov 2017, 09:58
Topic: Gammaro family
Replies: 49
Views: 577

Re: Gammaro family

the mother maiden name, probably mispelled also, was added on brasilian documents, but no in Italy.. I just came across this record a minute ago, so I figured I'd post it. Actually I see documents like this all the time. This is a 1888 death record from Lucca Sicula for Mariantonia Falletta. Her hu...
by carubia
10 Nov 2017, 14:43

Well, actually, at least in Sicily, up until the mid 19th c., women often did go by their mother's surname, or a combination of their parents' surnames, in either order. Sometimes men did, too. But since the OP's information is from Brazil, presumably they were referring to this man by both parents'...
by carubia
08 Nov 2017, 15:53
Topic: Translation of Pages 2 and 3 of Marriage
Replies: 11
Views: 209

Re: Translation of Pages 2 and 3 of Marriage

Hi Ron,

Are you researching Fuca' in Racalmuto now? I have some Fuca' ancestors from Aragona and I'm interested to see if there is a connection.
by carubia
07 Nov 2017, 10:46
Topic: Pasquale Marchese b 1893 Notations
Views: 97

Re: Pasquale Marchese b 1893 Notations

It looks like he married Sebastiana Giardina in Carlentini on 8 May 1915.
by carubia
07 Nov 2017, 10:00

What do you mean by "Samaritano doesn't exist"?! It is a common name in Agrigento province. I've seen hundreds of people with that name in Ribera. My 3rd cousin Giuseppe Samaritano died at Dogali and his name is carved on the monument at the Piazza dei Cinquecento. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikip...
by carubia
07 Nov 2017, 02:48

Thank you, all, for the compliments. I hope this information helps someone. When I discussed Part II records for marriages I said, "the town in question." What I meant was the town that has the Part II record, not the town where the marriage occurred. Also, keep in mind that my experience is mainly ...
by carubia
06 Nov 2017, 19:01

The purpose of the Part II records is to record events that don't fit into the templates in Part I. For example, for death records in Part I, the format presupposes that 2 people have reported the death. If that's not how the civil records office was informed, the template can't be used. The normal ...
by carubia
02 Nov 2017, 16:44
Topic: Interesting find and question
Views: 169

Re: Interesting find and question

Here is a case from 1893 where 2 twins were given the same name:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043548

But one of them was stillborn, so it's not the same situation obviously.
by carubia
02 Nov 2017, 03:29
Topic: Interesting find and question
Views: 169

Re: Interesting find and question

I've seen it happen before, where the same family has 2 children with the same name while, both alive at the same time. Sometimes, though, they one of the children didn't have the name at birth but started using it later on.