Search found 25 matches

by greglam
19 Oct 2021, 17:59
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Eh Cumpari?
Replies: 11
Views: 2926

Re: Eh Cumpari?

I think you guys are right. Here's what the Urban Dictionary says: "Goomba is the phonetic spelling of the term "cumpà", which is the way people from Southern Italy used to pronounce the word "compare", that is "godfather". From the original sense it was gradually...
by greglam
19 Oct 2021, 12:46
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Eh Cumpari?
Replies: 11
Views: 2926

Re: Eh Cumpari?

I might be very much mistaken, but, I was always under the impression that "Goomba" as used here in the U.S. was an Americanization of "compare" and used sort of the same as "paesan". But, also, that "compare" and "comare" are Godfather and Godmother...
by greglam
28 Sep 2021, 18:42
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Private Family Trees
Replies: 7
Views: 5485

Re: Private Family Trees

My tree is public so I CAN make connections. And I've succeeded a couple of times, although I wish it could be more. I have potential relatives with private trees which is aggravating for me, too. Having to go through all the steps indicated by BobNY (no offense to him personally) just takes all th...
by greglam
27 Sep 2021, 13:53
Topic: Private Family Trees
Views: 5485

Re: Private Family Trees

Asking permission to root around in a stranger's private tree is a fool's errand. As a 20+ year paid member of ancestry with a private tree, I would suggest a slightly different approach. Your chances of getting an invitation to access a private tree is very slim; even getting a response from the t...
by greglam
21 Sep 2021, 12:44
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Italian Citizenship through Residency for Grandson of Italian Born Citizen
Replies: 5
Views: 2204

Re: Italian Citizenship through Residency for Grandson of Italian Born Citizen

My father passed away in February, so I'll need to come up with a copy of his death certificate somehow. Good morning. First, condolences on your father's passing. Second, call or email the funeral home that handled your father's final affairs. If they can't/won't order one for you (for a fee, of c...
by greglam
02 Sep 2021, 12:39
Topic: Help to find where my ancestor came from in Italy
Replies: 2
Views: 1716

Re: Help to find where my ancestor came from in Italy

Hello Friend, I did a quick Google search for you on the term "Abbate cognome diffusione". Basically, "distribution of the surname Abbate". The two regions with the highest concentration of Abbate are Campania and Sicilia. Here is a link to the map: https://www.cognomix.it/mappe-...
by greglam
19 Jul 2021, 13:09
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Penne, Pescara Birth Record?
Views: 1285

Re: Penne, Pescara Birth Record?

May I ask, on your father's AncestryDNA test, what was the shared cM number of his top two or three highest matches? My paternal line comes from Penne and Pescara, but they emigrated to America in 1907, but I'm curious as to how close your father's closest matches are. -Greg Hello Greg, After mysel...
by greglam
16 Jul 2021, 20:16
Topic: Penne, Pescara Birth Record?
Views: 1285

Re: Penne, Pescara Birth Record?

Hello All, I've been trying to track down my father side of heritage. I have done my ancestry test, ive had my father do one, and both of my sisters. We have matches but the names of the matches did not come close to what he thought he name was prior to being adopted in 1960 and coming to America. ...
by greglam
08 Jul 2021, 14:44
Topic: Tormena family and winery
Replies: 3
Views: 870

Re: Tormena family and winery

I'd say that with Cornuda being less than 10km away from the farm/winery, the likelihood is pretty high. You could probably go to the Cornuda city hall and look for information, or to the Catholic church closest to the main piazza in town and look for baptismal records.

Good luck!
-Greg
by greglam
08 Jul 2021, 12:34
Topic: Contacting Family Tree Owners on Ancestry.com
Views: 6134

Re: Contacting Family Tree Owners on Ancestry.com

I'm asking about those who have uploaded family trees onto Ancestry.com. They must have some level of interest in ancestry. So am I. Seriously, I have contacted people with hundreds, even thousands of entries built out on their family tree, and have received zero, zip, nada, in return from the grea...
by greglam
07 Jul 2021, 18:53
Topic: Contacting Family Tree Owners on Ancestry.com
Views: 6134

Re: Contacting Family Tree Owners on Ancestry.com

Even if you join, good luck getting a reply to your messages. I have sent 30 messages to DNA matches (4th cousins or closer). Only three responses were of any significant value. 13 received no response at all, an additional 5 responses were of no value whatsoever, and the rest were, at best, margina...
by greglam
06 Jul 2021, 18:32
Topic: Catholic churches - NYC - Circa 1890
Replies: 20
Views: 7792

Re: Catholic churches - NYC - Circa 1890

Thank you so much for all the help! I had reached out to St. Patricks but they did not answer my email so I am very excited to see that there was a record of her birth. I don't have a membership to FindMyPast (should I? Separate topic!) so I am curious if anyone can suggest the best way to contact ...
by greglam
28 Jun 2021, 12:54
Topic: Catholic churches - NYC - Circa 1890
Replies: 20
Views: 7792

Re: Catholic churches - NYC - Circa 1890

Thank you - Precious Blood looks promising. Any idea if either one keeps archival records? You best bet will be to contact the office of the Archdiocese of New York. Tell them what you are looking for, and they can then direct you. Parishes that have been closed ("suppressed") will have t...
by greglam
17 Jun 2021, 20:27
Topic: searching for family
Replies: 10
Views: 1542

Re: searching for family

Has anyone given thought that maybe she was looking for relatives that may still be alive in America? I did. Hence my question about whether or not she had taken an AncestryDNA (or similar) test. Admittedly, the OP was really rather vague about her actual research goal, and hasn't been back on the ...
by greglam
16 Jun 2021, 12:55
Topic: searching for family
Replies: 10
Views: 1542

Re: searching for family

Have you taken an AncestryDNA (or similar) test to see who, if anyone, comes up?