Search found 2481 matches

by mler
31 May 2022, 01:57
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: New proceedings regarding Citizenship by descent after June 22nd 2022
Replies: 1
Views: 867

Re: New proceedings regarding Citizenship by descent after June 22nd 2022

There is no way to tell, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some variation from comune to comune. After a few decisions have been made, we will have a better idea.
by mler
12 May 2022, 14:38
Topic: WOMEN MAIDEN NAME ON PASSPORT?
Replies: 11
Views: 18120

Re: WOMEN MAIDEN NAME ON PASSPORT?

Just my opinion, but I think they will still automatically assign the father’s surname. The new law only allows parents to choose the child’s surname (father’s, mother’s, hyphenated combo), it does not address name changes after the birth certificate.
by mler
11 May 2022, 14:37
Topic: WOMEN MAIDEN NAME ON PASSPORT?
Replies: 11
Views: 18120

Re: WOMEN MAIDEN NAME ON PASSPORT?

Italian naming laws are changing a bit. Children no longer automatically get the surname of their father. Parents can choose use a combination surname. Also my grandson was just registered and he has the exact name as his father.
by mler
14 Apr 2022, 21:37
Topic: 1948 Case Question
Replies: 5
Views: 906

Re: 1948 Case Question

JTSD20 is absolutely correct. Your mother will not automatically be a recognized citizen. I know this is counterintuitive, but your mother and brother should apply with you. This will obviously be more costly, but less costly than applying individually. Only those who actually apply, and their minor...
by mler
02 Apr 2022, 22:35
Topic: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?
Replies: 6
Views: 1001

Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

That was the situation with my family. My children were not eligible through my Italian-born husband but were eligible through my gf.
by mler
01 Apr 2022, 16:40
Topic: dual citizenship question
Replies: 3
Views: 682

Re: dual citizenship question

Yes you qualify. This is a straightforward application.
by mler
11 Mar 2022, 20:34
Topic: Weird question about grandfathers derivative (American) citizenship and what it does to my mother's
Replies: 20
Views: 2244

Re: Weird question about grandfathers derivative (American) citizenship and what it does to my mother's

Lots about citizenship is weird. The thing is there was no coordination between the US and Italy regarding citizenship status. Your mother was born in Italy to an Italian mother and, as far as the comune was concerned, an Italian father. It was highly unlikely in 1930 that an Italian man would repor...
by mler
11 Mar 2022, 14:24
Topic: Children born in U.S before father's naturalization
Replies: 25
Views: 12177

Re: Children born in U.S before father's naturalization

The consulates (and the courts) are not unaware that an Italian birth certificate does not, in and of itself, prove Italian citizenship. (My husband, btw, has an Italian bc but is no longer a citizen despite the lack of any annotation. Most Italians who naturalized did not inform the comune of their...
by mler
09 Mar 2022, 13:23
Topic: Weird question about grandfathers derivative (American) citizenship and what it does to my mother's

Re: Weird question about grandfathers derivative (American) citizenship and what it does to my mother's

Yeah, the timing is really messed up. But you do have it right. Your grandmother did not lose her Italian citizenship when her husband naturalized. And she did not become a US citizen until she herself naturalized. As an historical note—before the 1922 Cable Act, in the US, a woman’s citizenship was...
by mler
07 Mar 2022, 22:24
Topic: Name discrepancies & 7 year rule questions
Replies: 3
Views: 732

Re: Name discrepancies & 7 year rule questions

I believe the 7 years applies to the number of years in this country, so it’s possible that your gggf naturalized before 1920. If he did, don’t bother looking for naturalization records for your gggm, because before the 1922 Cable Act women received US citizenship automatically through their husband...
by mler
06 Mar 2022, 13:18

You still might be able to use your GM's line. If your mother was a U.S citizen already than your GM's naturalization did not apply to your mother (Your mom was already a U.S citizen therfore your GM's naturalization did not "naturalize" your mother). You should consult an attorney. As of...