Search found 4066 matches

by Biff83
25 Jan 2007, 02:23
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: FROM ITALY TO THE COAL FIELDS
Replies: 22
Views: 28969

Re: FROM ITALY TO THE COAL FIELDS

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS ANTHRACITE COAL Bartoletti, Susan Campbell. Growing Up in Coal Country . New York NY: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1996. Although written for a young audience, this is the best work detailing how a colliery operated and the job functions of both the surface and underground workers...
by Biff83
25 Jan 2007, 01:32
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: FROM ITALY TO THE COAL FIELDS
Replies: 22
Views: 28969

FROM ITALY TO THE COAL FIELDS

In the latter part of the 19th and early part of the 20th century, the fuel that fired and financed the Industrial Revolution was coal, hard coal or anthracite which was found exclusively in a roughly 485 mile square area of northeastern Pennsylvania and soft coal or bituminous found in eastern Penn...
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 23:47
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparents.
Replies: 59
Views: 29105

Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen

Jimmy, It does more than portray the conditions of working in a mine in the early 20th century, it details a watershed moment in the unionization of the mines in Mingo county. Not completely historically accurate but a great film nonetheless. If you want any suggestions on other books, films, etc. w...
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 20:50

Jimmy, If you're interested in learning a bit about the working and living conditions for WV miners and union activities, there's a link below. Just as they did in the anthracite region of Northeastern PA where my grandfather and his brothers settled, the coal operators brought in Eastern European a...
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 20:24

Since neither of Maria's grandmothers' first names is Rosa, we can eliminate the 1907 ship manifest. It's fortunate you found the pedigree chart to help sort out the confusion we were all encountering due to the name and destination similarities in the multitude of online records.
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 19:22

Hey guys, Good news, I found a basic pedigree chart in my dad's records. I could not believe I found it. It has Salvatore Iaquinto born 2/19/1889, his parents are Francesco Jaquinta born 12/29/1856 and Rosa Perri born 03/23/1851. I don't know were Jaquinta comes from, but thats what is says. It has...
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 16:51

1920 Census Redux In reviewing the 1920 census record posted previously for Sal and Maria there's a discrepancy with Maria's age on the census versus her age on the ship manifest as well as her year of immigration which is shown as 1908. But the daughters' names and approximate birth years seem to v...
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 16:19

Maria Oliverio 1913 Ship Manifest showing mother as Barbera Allevato in San Giovanni as mother Vessel--Konig Albert Arrival--NYC on 8 Mar 1913 Passenger Maria Oliverio, age 21, single Joining brother Luigi in WV Closest relative in Italy, Barbera Allevato in San Giovanni Note does not show her in t...
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 14:29

A possible 1910 for Francesco.....Maria's manifest shows joining for Francesco in ?ton (Clinton?), W.VA Did I miss a post?? I don't recall anyone saying if this could be the possible 1910 Census record for the family you seek...its important to provide feedback on all posts so that we know if we ar...
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 12:53

A possible 1910 for Francesco.....Maria's manifest shows joining for Francesco in ?ton (Clinton?), W.VA 1910 United States Federal Census about Antonio Olivero Name: Antonio Olivero Age in 1910: 21 Estimated birth year: abt 1889 Birthplace: Italy Relation to Head of House: Head Father's name: Frank...
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 04:25

The birth record for Katherine shows her birth place as Hepzibah, same as on the draft card posted by jcsm. Shows wife and two children which also checks based on the 1920 census. Birthplace San Giovanni in Fiore. Looks pretty good. And the 1930 census listed by vj matches info supplied by JimmySal ...
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 03:28

JimmySal, I'm having trouble with timeouts currently on the West Virginia site but earlier I also found a record for Giovani (sic) Iaquinto born Meadowbrook, Harrison county, WV on 1 Mar 1923 to Sam and Mary. Possible candidate for John Iaquinto. Search using last name Yaquinto, first name Katherine.
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 02:37

Thanks Lee..thats what this is all about, right? Now we just need to see if the poster wants the info. Biff, just wondering, what site do you use to find info..it looks like a database only site but also looks very accurate. I'd be interested in knowing if you don't mind sharing. I use Ancestry.com...
by Biff83
24 Jan 2007, 01:37

GOOD SHIP MANIFEST CANDIDATE FOR MARIA OLIVERIO Vessel--Re D Italia Arrival NYC, 03 Aug 1907 Passenger Name--Maria Oliverio, age 14 Last Residence, San Giovanni in Fiore Destination is ?ton, WV to join father Francesco Also shows name of closest relative in Italy as grandmother, Rosa ? (cannot decip...