Search found 5206 matches

by johnnyonthespot
31 Jul 2014, 19:39
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Obit june 1949 in New York ?
Replies: 1
Views: 668

Re: Obit june 1949 in New York ?

Do you know exactly where in New York? In New York City or some other town/village?
by johnnyonthespot
26 Jul 2014, 13:17
Topic: Recognition Makes You An Italian Citizen
Replies: 15
Views: 5203

Re: Recognition Makes You An Italian Citizen

jennabet wrote: ... now that the application fee is at least $300 per person...
Make that €300 - about $403 at today's exchange rate.
by johnnyonthespot
22 Jul 2014, 00:14
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Looking for help on Genardo surname
Replies: 55
Views: 8165

Re: Looking for help on Genardo surname

Do you have the links for this record?? I just got his naturalization info in the mail. Contrary to what I had believed before, he came here in 1913 through Detroit. His info states he was born in "Musmali" Italy in 1894 and lived in Naples before coming to the US. Just so you know, the d...
by johnnyonthespot
21 Jul 2014, 19:23
Topic: Town in Italy named Santa Chirico?
Replies: 13
Views: 2415

Re: Town in Italy named Santa Chirico?

The world subscription is way too expensive, IMO. Here is a trick which I have used successfully for many years: go to http://www.ancestry.it/ (yes, the Italian website) and sign up there for only 8.65 euros PER YEAR (it says 9.95 euros but bills as 8.65 euros - I don't know why) or just 1 euro per ...
by johnnyonthespot
21 Jul 2014, 15:19

Nancy, Marty is amazing, isn't he? Here you can find a good primer on interpreting Italian records: https://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/Italian_Extraction_Guide/Default.htm Start with Chapter 2, Civil Birth Records. You may find these links useful as well: http://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/I...
by johnnyonthespot
20 Jul 2014, 19:04

Perhaps you mean San Chirico Nuovo, located in the Potenza province of Southern Italy. See http://www.comune.sanchiriconuovo.pz.it/sanchiriconuovo/home.jsp https://www.google.com/maps/place/85010+San+Chirico+Nuovo+PZ,+Italy/@40.6363197,16.0640936,8z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x1338f3c582e1055f:0x4aebc5e1857ae73
by johnnyonthespot
20 Jul 2014, 18:05
Topic: Proof of Name Change for woman after Marriage
Replies: 6
Views: 2330

Re: Proof of Name Change for woman after Marriage

Okay, can I ask then what is the reason for needing proof of name change?

Italian passports are always issued in the birth name, even for married women. This is true even for US citizens who obtain Italian citizenship.

PS: my initial post contained a bad link; I have since fixed it.
by johnnyonthespot
20 Jul 2014, 17:52
Topic: Proof of Name Change for woman after Marriage
Replies: 6
Views: 2330

Re: Proof of Name Change for woman after Marriage

Is your mother deceased? You can order a copy of her SS-5 original application for social security card, but I have no idea whether that will come with proof of her married name as well as her maiden name. Since 1980-something, it has been necessary to obtain a social security number at birth; back ...
by johnnyonthespot
18 Jul 2014, 14:58
Topic: Need help finding arrival info - Palmigiano
Replies: 7
Views: 1879

Re: Need help finding arrival info - Palmigiano

Antonino Palmigiano, son of Tommaso and Giuseppa Cardinale, married Giuseppa Furioso in Palermo on May 11th, 1888. They had the following children: - Tommaso, born in Palermo 15 Feb 1889 - Giuseppa, born in Palermo 30 Jan 1891 - Antonino born in Palermo 11 Nov 1893 - died in Palermo 2 Oct 1895 - Ca...
by johnnyonthespot
16 Jul 2014, 13:28

My grandmother's older brother, born in Sicily, was named Girolamo at birth. The English equivalent of this name is always given as Jerome, yet all of his U.S. paperwork has James as his name, and he was called Jimmy by the family. The Giacomo in our family was called Jake. So you really never know...
by johnnyonthespot
16 Jul 2014, 12:34

Julia, The naturalization records for the US District Court at Hammond, IN are held by the National Archives at Chicago. If you are in/near Chicago, you can simply walk in and view records for free. If not, well, I have found the National Archives researchers to be pretty easy to get along with and ...
by johnnyonthespot
16 Jul 2014, 11:26

On the card that you found, it has "date and port of arrival" blank. Will it be blank if I order through the National Archives? I can't promise anything but if you refer to the older thread I linked to earlier you will see that the law was quite clear regarding proof of arrival required f...
by johnnyonthespot
16 Jul 2014, 00:14

I am confident that you will find the $10 National Archives fee well worth it. You are very lucky that you know exactly where and when he naturalized; many people would kill for that information.
by johnnyonthespot
15 Jul 2014, 23:27

Is this your James? If so, consider spending $10 to get a copy of his naturalization records from the National Archives. These should include the name of the ship and date when he arrived in the US and the full name which he traveled under. Begin here https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/ Cli...