Search found 5206 matches

by johnnyonthespot
23 Jun 2014, 08:46
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: re:registri di leva translation
Replies: 9
Views: 1633

Re: re:registri di leva translation

In another thread http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... 14#p212631 member erudita74 describes the various reasons why a young male might be excused from military service.
by johnnyonthespot
23 Jun 2014, 08:43
Topic: re:posting images
Replies: 7
Views: 1489

Re: re:posting images

Please do not crop images; it just makes it less likely that we will be able to zoom the image sufficiently to read it. Instead, many of us use the free/no signup required site, http://postimage.org/. Just visit the site and click the Browse button to locate the image on your computer. Be sure the d...
by johnnyonthespot
22 Jun 2014, 15:52
Topic: Italian Census records
Views: 2570

Re: Italian Census records

There are a number of D'Angelo listings in the current Italian telephone directory for Casacanditella; see http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs=D%27Angelo&dv=Casacanditella+%28CH%29&l=en If I were you and had $10 or $15 to spare, I would take the time to write a one or two page letter expl...
by johnnyonthespot
22 Jun 2014, 15:21

It is not always easy; I had to try multiple ways before I found the street (but not specifically #141). Click here https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Casacanditella+CH,+Italy/Via+San+Marco,+66012+Casalincontrada+CH,+Italy/@42.2627781,14.1571387,7840m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x1330547c407f5ff...
by johnnyonthespot
21 Jun 2014, 15:31

I haven't looked at the birth record, but just keep in mind that the address Marty cited is the place where the child was born and not necessarily the place where his parents lived. It would not have been unusual for a farmwoman to spend the last days or even weeks of her pregnancy at the home of a ...
by johnnyonthespot
21 Jun 2014, 10:05
Topic: Agata (DelBonis) Fantozzi and the DelBonis surname in RI
Replies: 8
Views: 2481

Re: Agata (DelBonis) Fantozzi and the DelBonis surname in RI

I believe this is a passenger manifest for your Agata De Bonis and two children, Zelinda Fantozzi aged 5 and Americo Fantozzi aged 2 in May, 1905. Although they did not actually travel on this ship (they are lined out), the data should still be valid. They came from Guarcino which is about 60 miles ...
by johnnyonthespot
21 Jun 2014, 03:55

In other words, the Italian census is not a very good research tool as availability is extremely limited...
by johnnyonthespot
21 Jun 2014, 00:06
Topic: Agata (DelBonis) Fantozzi and the DelBonis surname in RI
Replies: 8
Views: 2481

Re: Agata (DelBonis) Fantozzi and the DelBonis surname in RI

If that is your ancestor, using the information on that card you can order a copy of his naturalization documents for as little as $7.00 from the National Archives. His documents *should* clearly indicate the name under which he entered the United States in June, 1907. I have posted information befo...
by johnnyonthespot
20 Jun 2014, 19:41
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Child turns 18 after interview
Replies: 2
Views: 1061

Re: Child turns 18 after interview

Consulates appear to handle this entire subject of "adult" children in different ways. Which consulate are you applying at?
by johnnyonthespot
20 Jun 2014, 15:55
Topic: Document Gathering
Replies: 4
Views: 1698

Re: Document Gathering

In Connecticut, it is generally faster, easier, and less expensive to work directly with the clerk's office of the town/city where the event occurred. Worst case, you can deal directly with the state department of health - http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3132&q=388130&dphNav=|46940| - e...
by johnnyonthespot
20 Jun 2014, 15:06
Topic: Document Gathering
Views: 1698

Re: Document Gathering

A great deal depends upon the source of the records you are seeking. For example, New York is notoriously difficult when it comes to any birth record other than your own and is just as tough with regards to marriage and death certificates.

So, from what state(s) do your required documents originate?
by johnnyonthespot
20 Jun 2014, 14:10
Topic: GF's NYC birth certificate - Appeals Court
Views: 1995

Re: GF's NYC birth certificate - Appeals Court

I'm glad to see the Appeals Court has some common sense. It never made any sense to me that documents such as a marriage certificate, military papers, death certificate were proof of when and where a deceased person was born, particularly if there are no living witnesses to attest to such a fact. P...
by johnnyonthespot
19 Jun 2014, 20:32
Topic: Wrong mother's maiden name on Baptismal Certificate
Replies: 5
Views: 2043

Re: Wrong mother's maiden name on Baptismal Certificate

That's great news! It will be so much easier for you at San Francisco now that you don't have to deal with this issue.
by johnnyonthespot
19 Jun 2014, 12:41
Topic: Wrong mother's maiden name on Baptismal Certificate
Replies: 5
Views: 2043

Re: Wrong mother's maiden name on Baptismal Certificate

If you haven't already, you should definitely contact the church and request they verify the information which they copied to the baptismal certificate. Mistakes do happen and it is possible that one happened here. Then, the next option would be to see if you can get the church to correct the record...