Search found 724 matches

by Squigy
25 Jan 2012, 13:34
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Italian identity prior to 1861
Replies: 7
Views: 4059

Re: Italian identity prior to 1861

Laura, Yes, I've heard of that saying, before :lol: I definitely get that feeling of pride in ones town, with Italy; I have family that lived in the *same* Comune from 1592 to the early 1900's (and they moved there from a town across the river, which was recently dissolved). Would it be correct to s...
by Squigy
25 Jan 2012, 10:35

Re: Italian identity prior to 1861

Pippo, Thank you for your reply. So, what you're saying is a well educated man from, say, England, prior to Italian Unification would view a Tuscan and a Sicilian both as Italians, whereas the average peasant from the same regions would view each other as (basically) foreigners? I mean, I would *ima...
by Squigy
25 Jan 2012, 00:03

Italian identity prior to 1861

Hello, all. I was just wondering if, prior to Italian Unification, there was one Italian identity. Meaning, did people ever think of themselves from Italy and as Italians as a whole, or did they consider themselves strictly in terms of regionality (Sicilian, Calabrese, etc)? Was Italy unified, cultu...
by Squigy
22 Jan 2012, 03:13
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Ship Records not found
Replies: 5
Views: 1478

Re: Ship Records not found

I have a similar situation with my great grandfather; I could never find him on EllisIsland's website, and then I got his naturalization record, and discovered, not only did the name of the ship he gave not exist, no ship even sailed the date he gave. I've concluded that he was most likely a stowawa...
by Squigy
09 Jan 2012, 10:19
Topic: Town name?
Replies: 4
Views: 1594

Re: Town name?

Hi, Biff. Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's my great grandmother - I was wondering if it might have been a frazione since the manifest *does* say she was born in San Mango. Although, I've always wondered whether she was from the town or not (I've never encountered the name Romito there, have you?)....
by Squigy
08 Jan 2012, 23:15
Topic: Town name?
Views: 1594

Town name?

Hi, all. I just found my great grandfather's Declaration of Intent, and was wondering if anyone could help figure out what the name of the town his wife was born in is. Here's a pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61196877@N05/6662412883/ It LOOKS like Mastivani, but I can't find anything on that. Any...
by Squigy
02 Jan 2012, 07:24
Topic: Heading to Philly for my Appt on Tuesday the 3rd
Replies: 2
Views: 819

Re: Heading to Philly for my Appt on Tuesday the 3rd

Good luck! Be sure to post and let us all know how it goes - I have relatives who, if they apply, will apply at this Consulate. So, please let us know how tough they are on discrepancies.
by Squigy
23 Dec 2011, 01:49
Topic: Merry Christmas
Replies: 9
Views: 5616

Re: Merry Christmas

Buon Natale e un Felice Anno Nuovo, Adelfio, and to all my amici here at IG!!
by Squigy
15 Dec 2011, 23:44
Topic: Consulate won't answer phone to make appointment (Houston)
Replies: 3
Views: 1031

Re: Consulate won't answer phone to make appointment (Housto

Thanks for the replies!

Just got a PM from someone linking the site Todo mentioned. I'll try that, thanks!
by Squigy
14 Dec 2011, 22:53
Topic: Consulate won't answer phone to make appointment (Houston)
Replies: 3
Views: 1031

Consulate won't answer phone to make appointment (Houston)

I've called the Consulate in Houston a couple times down, and keep getting recordings. I've also emailed them and received no replies. How am I supposed to make an appointment?? I'd like to make one for the 6th of August, 2012 (I figure I should have all my documents by then - apostilled, translated...
by Squigy
04 Dec 2011, 10:46
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Mother at 13???
Replies: 1
Views: 672

Mother at 13???

Okay, so I was going through some records I just found, and something just doesn't add up. Here are the facts: My great X5 grandfather - Francesco Rossano's - death record lists him as 60 in 1832, meaning he was born in 1772. He was married to a Caterina Negro. His son Davide died in 1828 at 18 - me...
by Squigy
30 Nov 2011, 18:55
Topic: How would I be viewed by Italians in Italy...
Views: 2377

Re: How would I be viewed by Italians in Italy...

Ann, Actually, that's my plan. Over the next 4-5 years, I want to save up enough money so I can live there for several months. That way, I can familiarize myself with the culture and language. Then I'll come home and decide if I'd like to make it permanent. And I do know it won't be easy - in fact, ...
by Squigy
30 Nov 2011, 08:06
Topic: How would I be viewed by Italians in Italy...
Views: 2377

How would I be viewed by Italians in Italy...

...if I were to move to my ancestral comune (it's a small town in Calabria of about 2,000 people - my great grandparents came here from there in 1906). This is something I've been wanting to do for quite a bit, now. And the more I learn about Calabria's culture, the more I want to go. And it's not b...