Search found 1362 matches

by jennabet
31 Jul 2010, 21:50
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Illiteracy and Naturalization
Replies: 4
Views: 2894

Illiteracy and Naturalization

Can anyone post advice on the rules for Naturalization regarding Literacy between between 1890 and 1920? The immigrant in question marked an "X" instead of his written signature on his son's marriage certificate in Cameron County, PA in 1912. This indicates to me that he was illiterate, an...
by jennabet
29 Jul 2010, 21:27
Topic: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Replies: 31
Views: 14297

Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?

Rgaetano, in 1920, he was 27 years of age and living in Cameron County, Pennsylvania. We have a copy of his marriage certificate from same county and we have also received a "No Naturalization" letter from the Prothonatory at the Camden County Courthouse. He died at the age of 33 in New Yo...
by jennabet
29 Jul 2010, 21:00
Topic: emigrants regaining Italian Citizenship?
Replies: 19
Views: 10608

Re: emigrants regaining Italian Citizenship?

Hi again. All minor children in Italy would have been naturalized along with the parent. If same children had remained in Italy, they would be considered American and not Italian but would have the option of choosing American or Italian at the age of 18 but they would not be allowed to have dual cit...
by jennabet
28 Jul 2010, 17:50

.....I imagine it is not so much that my grandfather never took an oath renouncing citizenship so much as my GGF became naturalized and passed that on to him since he was only 7 years old?.....

Correct. The actions of the parents affect the minor children.
by jennabet
28 Jul 2010, 17:49

Just want to mention here that the elective residency visa is a good way to go for retirees. You should not be put off by the "substantial monetary requirement" because the average salary of an Italian worker is $22,000. Many baby-boomers who were consistently employed can probably meet th...
by jennabet
28 Jul 2010, 16:42

If your grand-father missed the five-year window of opportunity to regain his Italian citizenship, he can live in Italy for ONE year (not three) and get it back. But this will not help any of his descendents who were born after he initially lost his Italian citizenship because Italian citizenship ne...
by jennabet
28 Jul 2010, 16:24

Hi again, thanks for the good info. Well, my BF's grand-father only lived in Niagara Falls for two years before he died in 1926. That means he would not have been listed on the 1930 Census so we won't need that document. We are pursuing this from Washington State and will submit the app to San Franc...
by jennabet
25 Jul 2010, 22:26
Topic: New Birth Certificate in Italy
Replies: 3
Views: 2623

Re: New Birth Certificate in Italy

Ncaprio, I was recognized in 2001. My documents are registered at the Comune di Castelli in Teramo, Abruzzo. They did not create a new birth certificate for me -- because I wasn't born there. But the Comune did keep and file the original birth certificate (with Apostille) that I submitted to the Phi...
by jennabet
25 Jul 2010, 22:11

Wherre would be the first place to look for proof of an immigrant never having naturalized? Here is the situation: My boyfriend's grand-father (from Calabria) was married in Cameron County, PA in 1912. He lived there 12 years but the Cameron County Prothonotary has no record of naturalization for hi...
by jennabet
15 Jul 2010, 17:46
Topic: "Admitted"
Views: 2101

Re: "Admitted"

Hi Carmine, thanks for the info. It does seems like an arrival number. Actually, I'm doing this research for my boyfriend's grandfather from Calabria. I obtained my own Italian passport in 2001 and recently returned from Abruzzo after living there for eight years. My boyfriend is retired with suffic...
by jennabet
14 Jul 2010, 20:50
Topic: "Admitted"
Views: 2101

"Admitted"

My grand-father arrived in 1900. I have a record that says he was "Admitted August 4, 1913 - #405951". Does "Admitted" mean nauralized and is #405951 his naturalization record number? In addition, he marked an "X" instead of signing his name on his son's marriage certif...
by jennabet
14 Jul 2010, 20:36
Topic: 1912 Age of Majority - Pennsylvania
Replies: 0
Views: 1550

1912 Age of Majority - Pennsylvania

Can anyone provide me with the age of majority in Pennsylvania in 1913?