Search found 1362 matches

by jennabet
15 Sep 2018, 21:14
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Italian citizenship renounced as a child/ minor
Replies: 11
Views: 3046

Re: Italian citizenship renounced as a child/ minor

In my family 17 second-generation first cousins were all born in the USA. Some have the Italian passport like myself and some don't. While all of us were born to two Italian-American parents, some are restricted by 1948 and some have a grand-father who was naturalized at the wrong time. Luck of the...
by jennabet
15 Sep 2018, 21:03
Topic: Missing Document Question
Replies: 6
Views: 1859

Re: Missing Document Question

Her maternal great grandfather was born in Italy, and married her American great grandmother (in America). He filed a declaration of intent to become a citizen but never actually finalized it (confirmed with USCIS) however, on the two census records after he emigrated, he is listed as "natural...
by jennabet
15 Sep 2018, 19:28
Topic: Dual Citizenship Help
Replies: 22
Views: 4432

Re: Dual Citizenship Help

Interesting. Americans who live in New York, Japan and Singapore know more about what goes on in Italy than do long term Italian residents/citizens. They're always "right" about our Italian elections too, LOL. Again it's called arrogance and ignorance.
by jennabet
12 Sep 2018, 20:35

In my family 17 second-generation first cousins were all born in the USA. Some have the Italian passport like myself and some don't. While all of us were born to two Italian-American parents, some are restricted by 1948 and some have a grand-father who was naturalized at the wrong time. Luck of the ...
by jennabet
12 Sep 2018, 19:18

Indeed, some people like to make it sound so easy. Just drop everything, lose your healthcare, go to Italy. Of course, your relatives probably won't mind the imposition at all. Just inconvenience everybody. It's your "right", afterall. No there is no other way. When your parents became Can...
by jennabet
12 Sep 2018, 15:55

No, the marriage certificate will give them the info they need about your grand-mother. You will also need your father's marriage certificate and your own if you're married.
by jennabet
12 Sep 2018, 09:47

You can apply in the commune if you reside permanently in the commune otherwise you would apply at your consulate.
by jennabet
12 Sep 2018, 09:43
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Jure Sanguinis laws changing 2018
Replies: 15
Views: 4781

Re: Jure Sanguinis laws changing 2018

Thank you for keeping us updated, mmogno.
by jennabet
11 Sep 2018, 19:30
Topic: What am I missing? Attempting jure sanguinis through mother's line
Replies: 21
Views: 4828

Re: What am I missing? Attempting jure sanguinis through mother's line

Jennebet, you have the unfortunate habit of assuming that your experience represents universal truth. Your insistence on this was the primary reason we were forced to ban you from the tapatalk forum. Apparently, the resentment lingers. I’m sorry. My packet did indeed include the petition, but I did...
by jennabet
11 Sep 2018, 12:21

By the way, if children of two British citizens had been born in Italy and remained in Italy until age 18, they would have been given an option to naturalize Italian but in so doing would have had to give up their British citizenship. By the way, this is still the case today. Any possibility of birt...
by jennabet
11 Sep 2018, 11:48

Yes, in 1946 in Italy an Italian woman who married a foreigner lost her Italian citizenship. It would not have mattered where they married. And yes, if they had stayed in Italy they would have both been British and all of their children would have been British only.
by jennabet
11 Sep 2018, 11:29

Hi I wonder if anyone can help as I am still confused My grandmother was born in Italy, she married my english grandfather after the war in 1946, they moved back to england and my father was born in 1947 I have read that my grandmother could not pass automatic citizenship to my father as he was bor...
by jennabet
11 Sep 2018, 10:56

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and reassuring me here! I went digging further and found the microfilm copies of my GGF's declaration of intention, petition, and oath—the whole package from the court naturalization records. That reassures me that I won't have to find my GGGF's papers now...
by jennabet
09 Sep 2018, 20:44

Correction. My grand-father filed both his Declaration of Intention AND his Petition for Citizenship in the same district. The confusion comes because the dates are close and he was married in Philadelphia where my grand-mother had arrived from Italy and was living with her sisters, in fact right on...
by jennabet
09 Sep 2018, 19:53

The five year residency pertains to the jurisdiction where the Petition for Citizenship is filed. It contains ALL information about the immigrant including original date of arrival and an address within the jurisdiction where the immigrant has resided for at least five years. The Declaration of Inte...