Search found 50 matches

by jllaf
31 Oct 2013, 23:01
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Translation needed for two foundling births, please
Replies: 3
Views: 1094

Re: Translation needed for two foundling births, please

I've listed the two documents (one is on two pages) in imageshack that I'd like to have translated, not sure if it works. In any event: One is the birth record of Camillo Laterano, a foundling, who was born in Ferrandina the same day as my grandfather's brother Camillo LaFianza, Nov. 11, 1884. I bel...
by jllaf
31 Oct 2013, 21:55
Topic: Translation needed for two foundling births, please
Replies: 3
Views: 1094

Translation needed for two foundling births, please

It's been awhile since I uploaded any files - do you still recommend imageshack?
Thank you.

John
by jllaf
25 Sep 2013, 16:57
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: LaFianza in Ferrandina
Replies: 4
Views: 1639

Re: LaFianza in Ferrandina

I missed the last part of your reply, Suanj. I know about the second part of the birth registry in the civil records and I thought that might be a possibility, but I checked all of the church's birth records myself with the local priest and didn't find them there, and to my knowledge there is no &qu...
by jllaf
25 Sep 2013, 16:52

Re: LaFianza in Ferrandina

Thank you, suanj, I do have those records. The Giuseppi on the manifest is actually the same person as my grnadfather Giovanni, which is the name he was known as when he came here. Again I ask, were some births not reported to the authorities because of embarrassment due to illegitimacy? I know from...
by jllaf
25 Sep 2013, 15:47

LaFianza in Ferrandina

I have every reason to believe that my grandfather Giovanni LaFianza and his two brothers Raffaele and Camillo were all born between 1879 and 1885 in Ferrandina (Matera, Basilicata). However, in searching through both the town's birth records and that of the church there for all the 1870's and 1880'...
by jllaf
26 Oct 2012, 16:47
Topic: 1893 Pucciariello Ship Manifest
Views: 1427

Re: 1893 Pucciariello Ship Manifest

Thanks Livia. I'll just assume that "Branco" is just a mis-interpreataion of her actual name of Pronio (I have several records that have that name). There was always the possiblilty it could have meant something else. Somewhat on the same topic - "Pronio" is the name given to her...
by jllaf
26 Oct 2012, 16:33

Re: 1893 Pucciariello Ship Manifest

Of course. My mistake. The record says "moglie" for wife or spouse. The children are listed below them as "figlia(o)".
by jllaf
26 Oct 2012, 16:23

1893 Pucciariello Ship Manifest

On the Mar. 13, 1893 manifest from the Brittania, my great-grandparents GianBattiste and Filomena Pucciariello came to the US. Search ellisisland.org for "Giobath Puccianelo" - lines 315, 316. On Filomena's line is clearly written the name "Figlia Filom. Branco". I know "fig...
by jllaf
17 Oct 2012, 18:16
Topic: Hit a brick wall in Ferrandina
Replies: 1
Views: 665

Hit a brick wall in Ferrandina

Hi - I'm struggling with data I can't find in Ferrandina. I have found the marriage record of my maternal great-grandparents GianBattiste and Filomena Pucciariello on microfilm from Ferrandina in 1882. I have also found the birth record of their first son Pietro, on microfilm records from Ferrandina...
by jllaf
06 Jul 2012, 00:55
Topic: Visiting Ancestral Town
Replies: 11
Views: 3921

Re: Visiting Ancestral Town

I, too, have roots in Ferrandina, and my first trip there will be in the fall of 2013, but I've yet to make any concrete plans, and was looking for help as well. I pretty much have exhausted microfilms and databases here, so it's on to Italy to collect more info. Anyone with specific info on travel ...
by jllaf
26 Jun 2012, 16:43
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Emmigration to South America
Replies: 2
Views: 1057

Emmigration to South America

What aids - either on-line or otherwise - are there for researching Italians emmigrating to South America in the late 1800's?

Thank you,

John L.
by jllaf
11 Jun 2012, 03:53
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Name Change
Replies: 0
Views: 1059

Name Change

An ancestor of mine changed his name from Thomas Camillo LaFianza to Thomas LaFrance soemtime between Sept. 1918 and Jan. 1920, in either Jersey City (Hudson County), New Jersey or Brooklyn (Kings County), New York. Is there documentation available and if so how do I go about obtaining it? Thanks, J...
by jllaf
13 Feb 2011, 17:21
Topic: Birth Record - "Projetta la nutricia"
Replies: 16
Views: 4360

Re: Birth Record - "Projetta la nutricia"

Peg - this is John, who you have just corresponded with in a different post, about interpreting a foundling record. This is a post from a few months ago, where you did indeed say that sometimes a birth mother becomes the adoptive mother for financial reasons. And you can see from the attachment of t...
by jllaf
13 Feb 2011, 16:13
Topic: Need translation for adoption record, please
Replies: 9
Views: 1856

Re: Need translation for adoption record, please

Thank you, Peg. It is indeed a record for a foundling. It is not a birth record, as that is a separate record which I had discovered earlier. The informant was a she, not a he, and her name was Leonarda Petraglia, who became her wet nurse/mother. The birth record said they lived at Viale del Purgato...
by jllaf
12 Feb 2011, 15:38
Topic: Need translation for adoption record, please
Replies: 9
Views: 1856

Need translation for adoption record, please

I have found what I believe is the adoption record of my great-grandmother, Filomena Pronio, from Ferrandina, Basilicata, in 1861. It's hard to decipher, but I'd appreciate any translation help anyone can provide - it's two handwritten pages, which may tell the story behind the adoption. I'll try to...