Search found 50 matches

by jllaf
03 Jan 2011, 16:24
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Birth Record - "Projetta la nutricia"
Replies: 16
Views: 4360

Re: Birth Record - "Projetta la nutricia"

Many thanks. As you suggested, it's looking like my grandmother's father would have traveled down to Ferrandina from Potenza and met my grandmother's mother there and not the other way around. Makes sense.

You are a wealth of knowledge and generous with your time for which I am most grateful.

John
by jllaf
03 Jan 2011, 14:03

A few questions: I have learned that the local mayor would give a fictitious name to foundlings. The name given to my great-grandmother is "Filomena Pronia/Provia/Pronio/Provio". What is the translation of the surname? If I went to Ferrandina and visited the church listed on the document, ...
by jllaf
31 Dec 2010, 13:32

Here's the doc (I hope).

I have a loose translation but would appreciate an exact one if you don't mind.

Many thanks,

John

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5691/petraglia2.pdf
by jllaf
31 Dec 2010, 03:18

I will be very happy to upload the file but do not know how - not a technical computer person. Can I send you an e-mail???

Thanks,

John
by jllaf
30 Dec 2010, 22:23

Birth Record - "Projetta la nutricia"

I found the baptismal record for my great grandmother from 1861 in Ferrandina, Basilicata. It says "figli de' conjugi" which I believe means "from the conjugation of", meaning parents, and then gives her mother's name, but no father's name. Instead, it says "projetta la nutr...
by jllaf
16 Dec 2010, 21:50
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: LaFianza Family Research
Replies: 10
Views: 2599

Re: LaFianza Family Research

One last favor:

Can someone please post either the 1910 or 1930 census record details for Ralph (Raffaele) and Marie LaFianza, 1910 San Francisco and 1930 Brooklyn, including any children.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,

John
by jllaf
13 Dec 2010, 00:33

Thank you Peg and Valarie!
by jllaf
12 Dec 2010, 22:52

Yes misbris, I already have that manifest. As far as I can tell, Maria's husband never made it over here. And there is confusion even to his first name. On son Raffaele's marriage license, it lists his father as Giuseppi, while on another son's Giovanni's license, his name is Vincenzo. Both licenses...
by jllaf
12 Dec 2010, 16:34
Topic: New York City Directories Circa 1900
Replies: 3
Views: 1818

New York City Directories Circa 1900

Does anyone know of a free website that displays early 1900 New York City Directories?

The only site I've found is footnote.com, but theirs is a premium service. Thanks.

John
by jllaf
11 Dec 2010, 19:37

Yes!

As a matter of fact, the registration card lists his employer as his brother, my grandfather!

Many thanks, suanj. You are wonderful!

John
by jllaf
10 Dec 2010, 23:27
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Spanish Influence?
Replies: 3
Views: 6624

Spanish Influence?

My grandfather Giovanni LaFianza was born in Ferrandina, Basilicata, in 1879. There is no translation in Italian for "LaFianza". However, in Spanish, "LaFianza" means "bail" (as in "jail"). I have been able to trace all LaFianza's - there aren't that many - he...
by jllaf
10 Dec 2010, 15:10

LaFianza Family Research

Trying to find more info on my grandfather Giovanni LaFianza's two brothers, Raffaele (Ralph) and Camillo. All three lived in Ferrandina before coming to NY through Ellis Island in 1897. Here's what I know: Camillo, born abt 1885 - per 1910 US census (which I have), lived in Brooklyn NY with new wif...
by jllaf
09 Dec 2010, 18:27
Topic: "pucciarella" research
Replies: 18
Views: 5277

Re: "pucciarella" research

"Molto grazie" for the info on the second marriage.
I knew "pronie" was dubious, "provia" sounds better. And now I have the names of her parents, which would be my great-great-grandparents!
by jllaf
09 Dec 2010, 17:47
Topic: "pucciarella" research
Replies: 18
Views: 5277

Re: "pucciarella" research

Agree that the spelling of pronie looks dubious, but I have a copy of the original marriage cert and that is how it's spelled there. Thank you suanj for your posting. It's a possibility, but it seems he came with children whose names I don't recognize. It is also contrary to the death record of the ...