Are you still alive?
by Primo Mattino
05 Feb 2016, 22:07
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Surname Porpiglia in San Roberto, Italy
Replies: 3
Views: 2590

Re: Surname Porpiglia in San Roberto, Italy

Porpiglia was a very common name in San Roberto. The churchregisters begin in 1807 (marriages) and 1857 (births and deaths). The civil state should begin in 1809. Before that date there is no hope or he should originate from somewhere else.
by Primo Mattino
14 Jan 2016, 21:15
Topic: re:parish record research in italy
Replies: 15
Views: 3274

Re: re:parish record research in italy

This is the facebookpage of the Archivio Storico Diocesano di Reggio Calabria e Bova. You can answer questions too.
https://www.facebook.com/Archivio-Stori ... 978896230/
by Primo Mattino
04 Jan 2016, 12:17

I do not intend to put them online. I don't know wat the price would be for 3TB of webspace :) I suggested it to the principal of the archive though, but she said that it to soon yet both mentally and financially. But at least we depent no longer on the whims and caprices of local priests. And right...
by Primo Mattino
02 Jan 2016, 14:41

I am of the same age so I understand what you feel. I have one tip that might help you a little bit. The Archivio Diocesano di Messina is since a couple of months under the care of an able and enthousiastic woman called Erika Gitto. You might want to write or call her archiviostoricodiocesano @ dioc...
by Primo Mattino
31 Dec 2015, 19:40

The past four years I have been busy digitizing the parishrecords untill 1920 of the diocese of Reggio Calabria. The work is almost finished, just 8 parishes to go yet. The pictures are now in the archive of the diocese for everybody free to consultate. I think the only solution for your (and everbo...
by Primo Mattino
23 Sep 2015, 19:44
Topic: Land sales in Calabria
Replies: 1
Views: 1021

Re: Land sales in Calabria

You will find it loooking through notarial acts. The problem will be how to find the notary who made the act. There is no solution for that problem otherwise than patience and time. If you won't find it there, the sale wil problably be in the acts of the "Ufficio del Registro" , The notaries of Serr...
by Primo Mattino
22 Aug 2015, 17:47
Topic: Caminetti, Caminete of Catania or Reggio, Calabria
Replies: 2
Views: 727

Re: Caminetti, Caminete of Catania or Reggio, Calabria

In 1866 there is a marriage in Reggio Calabria between Rocco Antonio Caminiti son of Domenico Antonio with Maria Concetta Bruno daughter of Giovanni Vincenzo.
Search my website using the - "Caminiti" site:www.benvanrijswijk.com - search key.
by Primo Mattino
20 Dec 2014, 14:34
Topic: Reggio di Calabria
Replies: 3
Views: 813

Re: Reggio di Calabria

by Primo Mattino
18 Sep 2014, 21:16
Topic: Cannizzaro in Palermo
Replies: 4
Views: 989

Re: Cannizzaro in Palermo

Sorry, consider the last post as not written. I made a mistake.
by Primo Mattino
18 Sep 2014, 14:23
Topic: Cannizzaro in Palermo
Replies: 4
Views: 989

Re: Cannizzaro in Palermo

Cannizzaro is a name that occurs a lot in Reggio Calabria. I think I can even say it is one of the names typical for that town. Your greatgrandfather could be from there. If you search with google: "cannizzaro, agostino" site:www.benvanrijswijk.com you wil find al lot of them on my website http://ww...
by Primo Mattino
13 Aug 2014, 18:41
Topic: Which Fossato
Replies: 8
Views: 1569

Re: Which Fossato

In this website are the indices of all the available church- and civil staterecords from 1599 untill 1865: http://www.benvanrijswijk.com/fontigenealogiche.htm. (I am still working on the death- and birthrecords from 1809-1865).
The names Fallara and Tripodi are definitely from Montebello and Fossato.
by Primo Mattino
23 May 2014, 17:21
Topic: Correct spelling of a name?
Replies: 11
Views: 2987

Re: Correct spelling of a name?

Is there in Italy a list of permitted names? (like in Morocco f.i.)
by Primo Mattino
23 May 2014, 16:39
Topic: Correct spelling of a name?
Replies: 11
Views: 2987

Re: Correct spelling of a name?

It is not true. If the father at the registering of the birth of his son insists that his name will be Guiseppe, the civil servant has to write the name as Guiseppe and the boy will the rest of his life be called Guiseppe. The spelling of a name is determined in the birthcertificate and nowhere else.