Search found 452 matches

by sacesta
18 May 2016, 22:07
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Nicknames
Replies: 4
Views: 1824

Nicknames

I spent some time today looking for the siblings of my paternal grandfather, Rocco, and found two in the church records of the Chiesa di San Silvestri Papa di Calatafimi. Rocco is the eldest of 8 children. His brother Camillo was second born. The baptismal records I found today were for younger brot...
by sacesta
18 May 2016, 21:55
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Researching a Foundling
Replies: 11
Views: 2667

Researching a Foundling

Several weeks ago I posted this image of my 3rd great grandfather's 1827 record of marriage which indicates that Benedetto Aceste's parents are uncertain. http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p625/sacesta/AcesteB-SciorttinoAMarriage_zpslzggccmn.jpg Today, I found this 1802 record of baptism for whom ...
by sacesta
18 May 2016, 04:56
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: NARA Naturalization reqeust
Replies: 10
Views: 4236

Re: NARA Naturalization reqeust

Ok,thanks. BTW, the Petition Number mentioned in my first reply above is required for the NARA search, not optional.
by sacesta
18 May 2016, 04:54
Topic: Land Ownership and Naturalization?
Replies: 3
Views: 2012

Re: Land Ownership and Naturalization?

Thank you both! I was curious because I have not been able to find naturalization documents for my paternal grandmother's father. He came to New York in 1902 and owned a six-family apartment building in Brooklyn.

So, it's possible he may not have naturalized.

Steve
by sacesta
17 May 2016, 21:38

Glad you're finding records Ken.

If I understand you correctly, the 1948 case doesn't apply to me. My grandfather naturalized after my father was born. Not sure yet whether I will pursue Italian citizenship.

Steve
by sacesta
17 May 2016, 20:17
Topic: Land Ownership and Naturalization?
Replies: 3
Views: 2012

Land Ownership and Naturalization?

Would it have been, or is it now, possible for a non-citizen to own land in the United States?

I'm wondering if this is the case for one of my great grandfathers.

Steve
by sacesta
17 May 2016, 18:40
Topic: First Papers and Naturalization
Replies: 22
Views: 8863

Re: First Papers and Naturalization

It's cool that you have connections in Italy. I have distant cousins in Trapani, but I do not know them. I'm going to visit the region next year. I do have one distant cousin in Trieste. I spent an afternoon with her in 1971, when we were both kids. My father was attending a funeral for one of his c...
by sacesta
17 May 2016, 15:46

Ken, I'm not sure what a 1948 case is. I'm not doing this for citizenship (although lately I am giving some thought to it). The cost is increased now to $10, but still a good deal. I got the Certificate of Arrival, Declaration of Intent, and Petition for Naturalization. And I got them within one wor...
by sacesta
17 May 2016, 15:37

It's wonderful that we have written records to substantiate our personal histories, as fraught with errors as they may be. Camillo's daughter told my aunt that Camillo and Rocco came to America in 1922 aboard the Giuseppe Verdi. However, the 1930 Census and Rocco's death certificate indicated that R...
by sacesta
17 May 2016, 14:46

Erudita, I did see the frames for the stowaways. Frame 428 lists four stowaways by name. Frame 429 is the facing page with more information. And frame 430 is a duplicate of frame 429. Neither of these persons are my ancestors. The frames that Rocco and Camillo appear on must simply be missing. I was...
by sacesta
17 May 2016, 05:03

I got the results from NARA today. That was quick! I sent the request on Friday and got Rocco's Certificate of Arrival, Declaration of Intent and Petition to Naturalize this afternoon. It appears Camillo's daughter was correct about the year of Rocco's arrival (1922) but incorrect the ship he arrive...
by sacesta
17 May 2016, 04:26

Ken, Today I received my grandfather's Certificate of Arrival, Declaration of Intent and Petition for Naturalization. It took only one working day to get the records from NARA. Impressive! Required info is: The city and state in which the naturalization occurred A date range Petitioner's first and l...
by sacesta
17 May 2016, 04:06
Topic: Need Your Help Finding My Grandfather on a Passenger List
Replies: 17
Views: 7256

Re: Need Your Help Finding My Grandfather on a Passenger List

I got the results from NARA today. That was quick! I sent the request on Friday and got Rocco's Certificate of Arrival, Declaration of Intent and Petition to Naturalize this afternoon. It appears Camillo's daughter was correct about the year of Rocco's arrival (1922) but incorrect the ship he arrive...
by sacesta
14 May 2016, 00:02
Topic: Need Your Help Finding My Grandfather on a Passenger List
Replies: 17
Views: 7256

Re: Need Your Help Finding My Grandfather on a Passenger List

Yikes! That first image looks like it was shot behind bars. Maybe a problem with the scanner?