Search found 31 matches

by continuo
23 Jan 2020, 18:20
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Early Naturalizations with declaration
Replies: 5
Views: 717

Re: Early Naturalizations with declaration

The Castle Garden passenger arrival lists (1855-1890) were destroyed along with the Ellis Island passenger arrival lists between 1892-1897. Yes, the US Customs Office passenger lists still exist and are used as a best available substitute. But if they were as good, I doubt we'd be debating whether i...
by continuo
23 Jan 2020, 00:08

Well, it's certainly possible. And no one knows your research better than you. If you think it's plausible, then it probably is. There is one thing I'm curious about. You say there are no other Florio arrivals between 1872 and 1876. How do you know this? This is before Ellis Island and the federal i...
by continuo
22 Jan 2020, 02:25

The Florio naturalization gives you a street address. If you can cross reference with street directories or census records, then I think you could make a case for this being your 1845 born Florio mistakenly identified as a minor. If this is all you have though, then that's more challenging. US natur...
by continuo
12 Nov 2019, 03:22
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Can't find records for this town in Catanzaro
Replies: 12
Views: 1387

Re: Can't find records for this town in Catanzaro

Your ancestor is a Tomaino that settled in Pennsylvania, so San Pietro Apostolo (CZ) is more plausible than San Pietro a Maida (or a great many other towns, for that matter). That's the good news. The bad news is that, in general, Castle Garden records are incomplete, to the point where their useful...
by continuo
07 Jul 2019, 05:31
Topic: Cemetery searchs
Replies: 8
Views: 1125

Re: Cemetery searchs

There is no such thing as perpetual interment rights in Italy. In some of the smaller comuni, where cemetery overcrowding is not as big an issue, you might see more plots leased for the full 99-years allowed by law. But in a city like Afragola, I imagine most of the plots are going to be on 10, 20 o...
by continuo
04 Jul 2019, 04:23
Topic: Turcotti
Replies: 3
Views: 679

Re: Turcotti

Exiciaque/Egisieh sounds a bit like a French priest's phonetic spelling of an Italian name like Egizia.
by continuo
17 Jun 2019, 00:05
Topic: Advice
Views: 1076

Re: Advice

Mezzogiorno=Southern Italy. I was observing that, in general, institutions in Northern Italy tend to be better funded (and therefore presumably better staffed) than their Southern counterparts. In any case, I did get a response from the Archivio di Stato di Catanzaro. Though we are still working out...
by continuo
15 Jun 2019, 00:26
Topic: Early Termini Records
Replies: 6
Views: 1153

Re: Early Termini Records

In Sicily, the stato civile only began in 1820, after the Bourbon restoration and the integration of island into the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
by continuo
08 Jun 2019, 06:32
Topic: Catasto Onciario
Replies: 17
Views: 7827

Re: Catasto Onciario

Be careful what you wish for. I struggled with an Onciario for years before finally consulting other contemporary sources and realizing that the population coverage wasn't anywhere close to 100%. On the one hand, I was relieved as it explained a number of otherwise irreconcilable contradictions with...
by continuo
02 Jun 2019, 05:13
Topic: Is there more Military information ?
Views: 2693

Re: Is there more Military information ?

Your grandfather would not have had to flee the country to avoid the draft. Draft evasion was not an uncommon thing, especially in the South. The Italy of 1891 was involved in a few colonial wars, none demanding significant manpower. If your grandfather did perform his military service, chances are ...
by continuo
02 Jun 2019, 04:01
Topic: Ship name on manifest
Views: 964

Re: Ship name on manifest

"L.P.C." (Liable to become a Public Charge). If you're looking for a reason he was debarred, I would look no further. I've seen Southern Italians come over on steamship lines running out of Cherbourg. I've always assumed it was some turn of the 20th century version of connecting flights. I...
by continuo
21 May 2019, 12:50
Topic: Archivi di Stato
Views: 1146

Re: Archivi di Stato

L'Archivio di Stato di Catanzaro
by continuo
21 May 2019, 05:21

Re: Archivi di Stato

Weill, it turns out patience was indeed the winning strategy. I got a response. The only problem is that they want me a make a deposit into a "conto corrente postale". And I don't think that's possible to do from outside of Italy. From what I can see, anyone can register with Poste Italian...
by continuo
21 May 2019, 04:30
Topic: Before ....Antonio Balsamo
Views: 2619

Re: Before ....Antonio Balsamo

Hereditary surnames began around the mid-fifteenth century for the vast majority living in what is modern Italy. It's not really useful to look for roots that date before then. Throw foundling names into the mix and you end up with surname roots of even more recent origin. And while it's not impossi...
by continuo
02 May 2019, 01:06

Archivi di Stato

Hi, I have been trying to get a few liste di leva and fogli matricolari through ricerca per corrispondenza. Request was well defined. Nothing disqualifying in that area, as far as I know. I even sent a follow up email after three months. No luck, though. I expected the wait time to be on the longer ...