Search found 1571 matches

by darkerhorse
07 Oct 2021, 18:38
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: A translation
Replies: 6
Views: 394

Re: A translation

December 28, 1794 Januarius Grosso, widower of Julia Volta, daughter of the parish of St. Catharine Marsica, aged about 77, dwelling in a place called "Above the Turret" refreshed by the rite of extreme anointing, being strengthened in his athletics, he restored his soul to God; and his bo...
by darkerhorse
07 Oct 2021, 18:28
Forum: Genetic genealogy
Topic: Ethnicity vs. skin tone
Replies: 172
Views: 19430

Re: Ethnicity vs. skin tone

According to what I read, yellow is included in olive skin undertone, and brown is a skin color not an undertone.
by darkerhorse
05 Oct 2021, 13:28

There's a view that skin color ranges from fair/light to medium to tan to brown to black (without tanning), with skin undertones of red, blue, olive, gray, or cream, in any combination of skin color and skin undertone. If true, I have olive undertones with probably medium skin color. My father might...
by darkerhorse
05 Oct 2021, 13:17
Topic: Y Haplogroip Map
Views: 3422

Re: Y Haplogroip Map

I just came across a school of thought that evolution of humans occurred independently at different times in different parts of the world. That seems to make more sense to me. It might be called convergent evolution.
by darkerhorse
05 Oct 2021, 01:59
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: photographs.
Replies: 5
Views: 578

Re: photographs.

I just noticed your sentence about your Ancestry account.
by darkerhorse
05 Oct 2021, 01:58
Topic: photographs.
Replies: 5
Views: 578

Re: photographs.

Extended family and friends are a good source but you are focusing online. I've found family photos on websites like Ancestry, familysearch, findagrave, etc. Look in family trees and on naturalization records, school yearbooks, etc. One strategy is to locate family/friends online and contact them. I...
by darkerhorse
05 Oct 2021, 01:10
Topic: Y Haplogroip Map
Views: 3422

Re: Y Haplogroip Map

Is the theory that we all originated from Africa considered "settled science" or do some scientists maintain simultaneous and separate evolution of humans in different parts of the world?
by darkerhorse
05 Oct 2021, 00:34
Topic: No Greece after all
Views: 1871

Re: No Greece after all

I'd be relieved.
by darkerhorse
05 Oct 2021, 00:33
Topic: Why Y-DNA Haplogroup?
Replies: 24
Views: 4509

Re: Why Y-DNA Haplogroup?

My Sicilian paternal line has Y haplogroup R-M269 or R-L1066.1. I read that about 25% of Sicilian men have it. It's much more prevalent in the western part of the island but my family came from the eastern part, so I'm beginning to wonder if they originated in the west. Does anyone else with a Sicil...
by darkerhorse
05 Oct 2021, 00:18
Topic: Birth Information - Nicolina Cicchirillo
Replies: 3
Views: 482

Re: Birth Information - Nicolina Cicchirillo

Hello Community, I am seeking help to find birth information for Nicolina Cicchirillo. Below is the only information I have. Date of Birth: 18 Sep 1890 -- Palazzo Adriano, Palermo, Sicily Place of Birth: Palazzo Adriano Father: Mariano Cicchirillo Mother: Vincenza Santo Your help and time will be g...
by darkerhorse
03 Oct 2021, 16:44
Topic: Sicilian Carnagione
Replies: 1
Views: 610

Re: Sicilian Carnagione

I assume ship manifests were completed in the country of origin by natives.

For complexion, olive is rarely recorded.

But I've seen pages of Italian immigrants with some classified as natural and others as dark.

Does that suggest that natural is medium skin color?
by darkerhorse
03 Oct 2021, 14:33
Topic: No Greece after all
Views: 1871

Re: No Greece after all

Have any of your extended family members been tested?
by darkerhorse
03 Oct 2021, 05:06
Topic: Sicilian Carnagione
Replies: 1
Views: 610

Sicilian Carnagione

Anyone care to comment on this? "When Sicilians have a baby, the question on everyone’s lips is, what carnagione do they have? Carnagione means skin tone, and in Sicily, you never know what you’ll get. Dark like Nonna Pina? Blonde and green-eyed like Nonna Anna? Deep olive skin like uncle Danil...
by darkerhorse
03 Oct 2021, 04:49

I suspect the early Sicilians in Louisiana had darker skin which became even darker when tanned. I suspect their natural skin color was more brown than olive, which became even darker brown or ruddy or chestnut with tanning. I think darker coloring of their hair and eyes contributed to the "swa...
by darkerhorse
03 Oct 2021, 04:40

I'm unclear as to what you consider olive skin and dark skin, and what the effects of tanning are on skin color. In your view, do Asians have olive skin? What about Latinos? I believe there are Italians who are naturally dark-skinned without any olive tones or tanning. Some Italians with dark skin a...