Search found 53 matches

by greglam
20 Jun 2022, 12:45
Forum: Genetic genealogy
Topic: Totally unexpected Italian paternal ancestry
Replies: 16
Views: 2739

Re: Totally unexpected Italian paternal ancestry

My US contacts have no idea how we could be related. How do I go from all this uncertainty to find out more? I have also uploaded my DNA to Geneanet, MyHeritage & MyLiving DNA, but so far no luck with pointers or extra contacts. Any advice how to proceed welcome! Thanks Greetings! May I ask how...
by greglam
08 Jun 2022, 20:59
Topic: Sicilian DNA
Replies: 158
Views: 46490

Re: Sicilian DNA

darkerhorse wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 20:14 I've found Riveli records for my grandparents' town back to the 1590s.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/It ... li_Records

I'm not sure if they were recorded in other parts of Italy.
Thanks! I will check it out!
by greglam
08 Jun 2022, 19:25

darkerhorse wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 16:41 Have you searched Riveli records?
I have not. I'm not even familiar with that, to be honest.
by greglam
08 Jun 2022, 15:48

Sounds like going in you figured you were 25% Northern Italian and 25% Sicilian (from your paternal side), a bit different than the 12% and 35% from the DNA test, but, although Abruzzo is more central, it has been historically linked to Southern Italy so I could see the percentages being fluid. Yes...
by greglam
08 Jun 2022, 13:00

Based on what your family told you or on documents you have. Pretty much squares with what I knew going in. My paternal grandparents are both from Italy, Pescara and Sicily. My maternal side is Irish and Hungarian. On my paternal side, my grandfather's parents both have deep roots in Chieti, Pescar...
by greglam
07 Jun 2022, 20:32

That level of detail would be helpful. By "Ancestry test" do you mean AncestryDNA from Ancestry.com? According to your paper trail, what percentage Italian are you? According to your paper trail, what percentage Sicilian are you? Yes, AncestryDNA. I'm not sure what you mean by my "pa...
by greglam
07 Jun 2022, 18:18

I did the Ancestry test several years ago, so there have been several refinements to my results over the years. For my Italian (Paternal) DNA, my results are as follows: Northern Italy: 12% No further specificity Southern Italy: 35% Northern Sicily - East Palermo Province "East Palermo Province...
by greglam
25 May 2022, 14:41
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Di Carlo
Replies: 6
Views: 4802

Re: Di Carlo

Hello, I am from Steubenville, Ohio, USA and the DiCarlo name is well known there and in the general area. They hail from Sora, Lazio. Maybe this will help. https://www.dicarlospizza.com/story

All the best,
-Greg
by greglam
15 Feb 2022, 13:17
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Strange nicknames
Replies: 8
Views: 1720

Re: Strange nicknames

Nicknames were so prevalent where I grew up that none of them seemed particularly strange. In many cases if you referred to someone by their given name (if you even happened to know it yourself) instead of their nickname, most people wouldn't have known who you were talking about.

-Greg
by greglam
02 Nov 2021, 11:54
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: How many Ancestors do you really have - Mind Blowing
Replies: 9
Views: 2403

Re: How many Ancestors do you really have - Mind Blowing

Here is an interesting discussion about this topic. The author basically says that, once we go back far enough, the number of unique ancestors we really have is less than the math seems to indicate: https://news.legacyfamilytree.com/legacy_news/2016/08/how-many-ancestors-do-we-have.html Thank you v...
by greglam
01 Nov 2021, 20:23
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: How many Ancestors do you really have - Mind Blowing
Replies: 9
Views: 2403

Re: How many Ancestors do you really have - Mind Blowing

This is fascinating. Thank you so much for providing these numbers. I am working on my family tree on Ancestry and tried to manually calculate it out once to the level of my 5th Great-Grandparents. I think I got to the 4th GG and was like, "Wait a minute..." Here is a page that calculates ...
by greglam
27 Oct 2021, 12:49
Topic: Regional dishes, cooking styles
Replies: 32
Views: 9647

Re: Regional dishes, cooking styles

Very interesting topic to see everyone's family traditions and recipes! My grandmother was born in 1910 in Steubenville, Ohio, to parents who were relatively recent immigrants. Her cooking repertoire was not particularly extensive, but what she did make, she made very well. Her wedding soup was exce...
by greglam
26 Oct 2021, 12:43
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Surname: Bruzzese; Town: Mammola
Replies: 4
Views: 623

Re: Surname: Bruzzese; Town: Mammola

Hello, Renaldo. I'm not able to help you directly, however, the Bruzzese family has been in Steubenville, Ohio for more than a century, and one or two of them are attorneys, and I believe still actively practicing law. You could probably do a search and locate their law office and email address. Bes...
by greglam
19 Oct 2021, 17:59
Topic: Eh Cumpari?
Replies: 17
Views: 9705

Re: Eh Cumpari?

I think you guys are right. Here's what the Urban Dictionary says: "Goomba is the phonetic spelling of the term "cumpà", which is the way people from Southern Italy used to pronounce the word "compare", that is "godfather". From the original sense it was gradually...
by greglam
19 Oct 2021, 12:46
Topic: Eh Cumpari?
Replies: 17
Views: 9705

Re: Eh Cumpari?

I might be very much mistaken, but, I was always under the impression that "Goomba" as used here in the U.S. was an Americanization of "compare" and used sort of the same as "paesan". But, also, that "compare" and "comare" are Godfather and Godmother...