Same Couple?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Same Couple?

Post by darkerhorse »

Photo 1 is an identified couple at their wedding in 1914.
Photo 1.jpg
Photo 2 is an unidentified man, on the left, and unidentified woman, on the right, at a wedding in 1919. There's another man standing between them.
Photo 2.jpg
Are they the same couple five years later?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Same Couple?

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

I looked at both photos carefully, and it looks like the same couple to me.
For Europe, With Love.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I am in agreement with BrownEyedGirl. Definitely the same 2 people.
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Thanks.

If you ignore the man's hair then there is similarity.

Even the difference in height matches, as well as the slight tilt of her head.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I sent these photos to cousins who are husband and wife.

They don't think it's the same couple because (1) they don't think their appearances would change that much in five years and (2) the man's hairline appears to be receding more in the earlier photo.

I don't think it's a dramatic change, especially at that age 20s or so. But, the hairline is a more valid point to consider.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

By the way, at the time of the second photo, the woman in the first photo would have had a child and she'd be pregnant with another on the way. That could contribute to any change in appearance.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I don't agree on either point. I think the hair is simply the way it is combed. The facial features and ear match IMHO. The woman to me has a very distinct overall appearance I see in both photos. I have photos of my own mother taken A YEAR apart that look like totally different people (but they are both her)...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I tend to agree with you. I think the similarity is especially striking with the woman.

I've identified the couple in photo 1 and I know whose wedding it was in photo 2, so I need to figure out if there's any family connection between the couple in photo 1 and the bride and groom (not shown) in photo 2.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

MarcuccioV wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 01:19 I don't agree on either point. I think the hair is simply the way it is combed. The facial features and ear match IMHO. The woman to me has a very distinct overall appearance I see in both photos. I have photos of my own mother taken A YEAR apart that look like totally different people (but they are both her)...
I totally agree.
For Europe, With Love.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

My $0.02 - they look the same to me.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

mjclayton1 wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 05:51 My $0.02 - they look the same to me.
Thanks for your input.
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

Looks like the same people in both photos to me, but I did try face recognition and got the following results though I believe the 2nd photo of the woman is not the best quality, reason for the reduced % of matching.
FSCAF1.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Looking at the general face shape, mouths, and other similarities, I still say they are the same people. There is far more similarity than difference. At the VERY least, I would say the furthest apart they could be are siblings, but even that is a stretch...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I've had only mixed results with face recognition software, they seem biased depending upon how different the photos are regarding ages, expressions, which way they're facing, etc.

To my eyes, the woman is a stronger match than the man.

I have these other photos of the people in the Photo 1. They are confirmed to be the same people, at much later ages.

What does your software say? How well do they match Photo 1 and Photo 2?
Woman3.jpg
Man3.jpg
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

As mentioned above, the woman in Photo 1 (1914) was pregnant at the time of Photo 2 (1919), after already having had one child. That could affect her appearance.

The man seems to have a very similar expression in these photos. especially around the mouth.

Using the paper trail, I've had no luck tying this couple to the bride and groom at the wedding in Photo 2. But, there may be a family tie to another guest (sister-in-law of the bride), but I can't sort it out completely.