where is Comune of "Confrento"?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

where is Comune of "Confrento"?

Post by joetucciarone »

Can anyone help me find a Comune in Catanzaro, supposedly named "Confrento"? Here's part of an 1882 newspaper article describing the Baccari family. It says they have an estate in Confrento, in Calabria, in the Province of Catanzaro. I can't find this Comune; maybe the newspaper reporter misspelled it? Thanks in advance...
baccari.jpg
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: where is Comune of "Confrento"?

Post by darkerhorse »

Confienti
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Thanks. Ancestry shows two Baccari's born in Conflenti in the 1800s, and FamilySearch shows one born in Catanzaro. I checked birth records for every 5th year from 1830 to 1845 and didn't see any. The Baccari's of Conflenti seem to have been few and not productive, of babies at least!
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Post by arturo.c »

The correct name of the Comune is "Conflenti".

http://www.comune.conflenti.cz.it
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

You should check the birth records every other year instead of every 5th year. It was common for women to have babies 2 years apart in those days.
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Thanks for bringing me back this. You're right, I should've searched every 2nd year (or every year). So I did, and I found who I was looking for: Carlo Camillo Baccari, born February 8, 1848 in Conflenti. His father's profession was listed as "galantuomo," or "gentleman." That fits with this part of the newspaper article: "The peasants were born, as well as their ancestors for hundreds of years back, the vassals of the House of Baccari..."

Thanks again for your suggestion.
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

Oh I'm glad it worked out and you found your record. Remember in pregnancy a woman spent almost 1 year being pregnant and then the following year recovering (the 2nd year). Sometimes they got immediately pregnant again, sometimes they got a break more than a year. Remember also, birth control as we know it was non existent.