Do I qualify for dual citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Piccioli
Rookie
Rookie

Do I qualify for dual citizenship?

Post by Piccioli »

My grandparents and my father were born in Italy. My grandfather came to America in 1907 and my grandmother and my father came in 1909. My father was 10 years old at the time he arrived. I found info on my grandfather's 1914 petition for naturalization. Would I able to apply for dual citizenship? Thanks!
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Do I qualify for dual citizenship?

Post by JamesBianco »

If your grandfather naturalized while his Italian born son was still a minor, this son naturalized with him, which unfortunately means that you would not qualify for dual citizenship via Juris Sanguinis (blood line).

If grandfather petitioned in 1914 and naturalized after his son reached adulthood however, you would qualify (provided of course the son didn't eventually naturalize on his own).

Hope that helps!
Piccioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Piccioli »

I thought the 1914 petition for naturaliztion was the date he became naturalized. I found a 1911 declaration for naturalization petition. The 1914 petition has 2 witness names. Is there another final naturalization paper that I should be looking for? Thanks for your help!
Lady Leader
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Piccioli wrote:I thought the 1914 petition for naturaliztion was the date he became naturalized.
Check all of the writing on that document, especially the very end. There may be a notation as to the exact date he naturalized. Petitions were sometimes initiated but never followed through on, and (hopefully in your case) sometimes not for a decade or more.

You could also as a point of clarification check the 1920 and 1930 census to see what his status was in terms of citizenship... PA for Petition filed or NA for naturalized.
Piccioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Piccioli »

Thank you so much! I will check it out.
Lady Leader
Piccioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Piccioli »

I checked the 1920 census and it said NA 1914. I guess the 1914 petition with the 2 witness names was actually the day he became naturalized. I was hoping I had a chance for dual citizenship.
Lady Leader