Castello/Camello

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jo341969

Castello/Camello

Post by jo341969 »

Hi Everyone
Just joined hoping to find info abt my ancestors who ive been told were from Italy but ended up in Ireland abt 1746ish. Not sure abt the correct surname as my Grandad was Castello but changed to Costello like 90% of the family. It has been stories past down that they were from Italy and in the 1851 census when they came over from Ire to Warwickshire they were down as Cosletta? Anyone got any ideas as i don't know where to start.
Regards Jo. :D
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Castello/Camello

Post by PeterTimber »

There are10 CoslettO listed in the 1851,1861,1891 and 1901 British census while there are16 Cosletto listed for the USA census for the 1851,1852 and on up. The first group is listed in the www.findmypast.com which is free for name checks but a paying website and do not reflect Italy and the www.familysearch.org for the USA census for those born in the 1850's

There is no record for the surname COSLETTO or COSLETTA in the Italian surname dictionary as well as the surname distribution for the current listings in Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~