Surname: DRONCHI;This name is nowhere to be found in Italy.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
meatballeyes

Surname: DRONCHI;This name is nowhere to be found in Italy.

Post by meatballeyes »

My parents went to Italy and to the area in Reggio Calabria where it has been said my grandfather was born. After speaking with many people there and in the surrounding area, there is no evidence of our name. My mother has also been to the records office there and was unsuccessful finding records. Anyone with advice on what to do next would be greatfully appreciated. For some reason I have always felt that this is not a real Italian name and perhaps through the immigration process there was something of a change up in our name.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Surname: DRONCHI;This name is nowhere to be found in Ita

Post by wldspirit »

Members can better direct your search with more information. Have you obtained any documentation to confirm the town of origin? Manifest? Passport? Naturalization? Knowing the exact town could reveal the correct spelling of the name.
Can you give us his name, spouse's name, any known birth dates, even a year can be helpful, and where did they reside...children's name will help place them on census depending on year.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

meatballeyes wrote:My parents went to Italy and to the area in Reggio Calabria where it has been said my grandfather was born. After speaking with many people there and in the surrounding area, there is no evidence of our name. My mother has also been to the records office there and was unsuccessful finding records. Anyone with advice on what to do next would be greatfully appreciated. For some reason I have always felt that this is not a real Italian name and perhaps through the immigration process there was something of a change up in our name.
Hi, your ancestor could be this Thomas Dronski

1930 United States Federal Census about Thomas Dronski ( really : Dronchi on the census)
Name: Thomas Dronski
Home in 1930: Albany, Albany, New York
View Map

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Son-in-law
Spouse's Name: Rose
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:
View image

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Castelitto
Victora Castelitto
Thomas Dronski
Rose Dronski
Joseph Dronski
1/12

imm. in 1916, alien, salesman fruit store???

Name: Thomas Dronchi
Birth: 8 Jun 1896
Death: Jul 1981 - Albany, Albany, New York, United States of America
Civil: New York
Other: Albany, Albany, New York, United States of America

the surname could be Tronchi or Ronchi..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There appears to be one town inall of Italy that has a DRONCHI listed www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi (put name in upper left corner and also try Tronchi as a possibler correct spelling)

Further see the italy telephone directory at www.paginebianche.it and put in Dronchi inthe first line and Campania (the region where the town is located inthe province of Salerno) in the second line and click CERCA for the spelling TRONCHI which I suspect may be the orignal spelling with DRONCHI a mispelling either in Italy or inthe USA since there are 33 cities,towns and villages thruout Italy with the TRONCHI surname.

Have you ever checked www.ellisisland,.org for the entry of the first immigrant in your family to arrive in the USA either as Tronchi or Dronchi witht he town of origin in Italy listed. =Peter+
~Peter~
meatballeyes

Post by meatballeyes »

Thank you everyone for all the information. I will have more in-depth information about my grandfather when I speak with my mom about this later today. I will also have her write about all the inforamtion she has collected on my surname.
The response by 'suanj' has a lot of correct information regarding my grandfathers wife's family with the surname 'Castelitto'. Her name is Rose Castelitto. My grand father was also the owner of a produce store in Albany NY located on Grand Street. His first son is named Joseph. My mom and dad are going to find this all very interesting and again, many thanks for getting me started on this exciting journey.
Will be in touch soon. Anthony Mario Dronchi, Jr. aka: meatballeyes:
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In 1923 Thomas Dronchi was resident with Frank Demizio/Domizio/Demazio, in Albany at 38 Monroe st; but I cannot find the arrival in USA.. as a well the 1920 census...
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Found!
the right surname is BRONCHI

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Tommaso Bronchi
Name: Tommaso Bronchi
Arrival Date: 12 Mar 1921
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Port of Departure: Napoli

Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Duca Degli Abruzzi
Search Ship Database: Search the Duca Degli Abruzzi in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
NATIVITY: Italy
Line: 18
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_2935
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: r calabria ( Reggio Calabria)
Page Number: 131

father Giuseppe Bronchi residentin Via Granili 8, Napoli, IT ( address); final destination Albany NY; joining at uncle Nicola Massaro in Albany NY
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

suanj wrote:Found!
... final destination Albany NY; joining at uncle Nicola Massaro in Albany NY
best regards,
suanj
Hello,
Great manifest find suanj!

another clue?
I looked for Tommaso's uncle in Albany and found a Nicola Massara/o at a similar address on a 1918 WWI Card.
(151 Madison instead of 170 Madison)
Nicola's wife was living in Siderno (Reggio Calabria, Calabria)
Valarie

WWI Draft Registration Card
meatballeyes

Post by meatballeyes »

Thank you suanj and vj!!!! I am forwarding this info to my mom (her surname is Farinacci) and I asked her to register on this site and reference me if she (and I know she will) has questions. She is a writer and is detailed so I know she will be more help in supplying clues with all the info she has collected. My grandfather "Tom Dronchi' was a prisoner of war captured by the Germans and held in what was then Czechoslovakia. He escaped as the story goes but not a lot of details to all of that. My mother my have more. Like so many immigrants, his life was extremely difficult but even more so from his life ending in murder in Albany, NY. Thugs broke into his home to try and rob him of his social security check money. They beat him and tied him up leaving him to die in the bathtub. They were extemely brutal to him and he was a frail old man. I think they may have been drug addicts too. It was on the 4th of July, I believe 1981. The thugs were caught and are in prison for life. I remember seeing some photo's of the bathroom with blood everywhere. A grim remembrance and we all shared that day as a family at our home b/c we planned a big picnic as we had done for many years in the past so in a way, my dad and his siblings had a lot of people around to help and show support during that very painful time. After the crime scene was cleaned up and we were allowed into the house, I went with my dad and remember it well. I have the sugar shaker that was used when they lived there growing up. I use it everyday. Thanks again for all your help!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

vj wrote:
suanj wrote:Found!
... final destination Albany NY; joining at uncle Nicola Massaro in Albany NY
best regards,
suanj
Hello,
Great manifest find suanj!

another clue?
I looked for Tommaso's uncle in Albany and found a Nicola Massara/o at a similar address on a 1918 WWI Card.
(151 Madison instead of 170 Madison)
Nicola's wife was living in Siderno (Reggio Calabria, Calabria)
Valarie

WWI Draft Registration Card
Hi vj great find!
hugs,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hi Anthony here the article dated 5 jul 1981 abt Thomas Dronchi strangled by 2 men
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Process%20 ... ehtml&.pdf

and in 1922 Thomas had another accident
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspapers ... ehtml&.pdf

best regards,

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
meatballeyes

Post by meatballeyes »

The plot thickens as they say. You are an amazing find!! I appreciate and value the information you are passing along. My mom just told me she had my dad's sister's son send her a box of all the records of my dad's mother and father. She did not recieve it yet but we are anxious to see if what turns up.
Many, many thanks and happy to meet you here!
Anthony Dronchi, Jr.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

here, on IG forum, we are happy of to help...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH