Help tracing Bidini family of Philadelphia to Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rshowalt

Help tracing Bidini family of Philadelphia to Italy

Post by rshowalt »

I am stuck in my efforts to locate the Italian ancestors of Giovanni and Santa Bidini. I will share the data I have found and organized to date and list my three questions at the end.

Santa was born Nov 1, 1878. She married Giovanni Bidini in Italy (location unkown) in about 1896. She arrived in New York with her 3 children on the Luisiana on 24 Dec 1908 (T715_1181, p. 158, l. 4). The ship manifest appears to list her as "Budino" or "Budeno" Quaglia. I am not able to decipher or do not recognize the city/town of last residence listed on the ship manifest. It appears to be "Fayuano"--see attached.

Her social security application lists her maiden name as "Santa Quagliaro", birthplace as "Udine, Italy" and parents as Giovanni Quagliaro and Maria Cappelletti. She lived in Philadelphia with her husband from 1908 until her death on 27 Sep 1968. I recently received a response from the Commune of Udine indicating that they were unable to locate any birth or marriage records for her.

Santa's husband, Giovanni, appears to have been born 30 Jan 1870 in Villalta, Italy. His naturalization papers indicate that he immigrated through New York, arriving on the ship "Castanio" on 24 Mar 1903 (sailing from France 8 Mar 1903). I have been unable to locate a passenger manifest documenting his arrival or any records for a ship named "Castiano".

He apparently returned from a visit to his mother on 12 Oct 1920. The manifest listed his last permanent residence as Iggagna, Udine and his closest relative as his mother, "Caterina Bidini of Villalta, Udine".

Naturalization records for two of their children, Ciro and Rena, list birth infomation as 9 Mar 1903 Vill Atla, Italy and 24 Dec 1900 Villata, Italy, respectively.

My first letter request to the Villalta never generated a response. I sent a second copy of the letter approximately 2 weeks ago. It appears that if I can connect with the commune of Villalta, I should be able to locate birth information for Ciro and Rena. Giovannia and Santa may have also been married there.

Here are my questions:
1. If I do not receive any response from Villalta, how else might I attempt to locate Giovanni's, Ciro's and Rena's birth information?

2. How might I locate immigration records for Giovanni's initial arrival in the US in 1903?

3. Where/how else should I look to attempt to confirm the date and location of Santa's birth and her parent's names?

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions!!
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Help tracing Bidini family of Philadelphia to Italy

Post by misbris »

For some reason, your attachment did not post. I am going to repost the manifest for you. I must say you did incredible detective work in finding this manifest.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004

p2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004

I think the town may be Fagagna in the province of Udine.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Villalta is a frazone or hamlet in the comune of Fagagna. I believe that is the town where you will find the records you are searching for. :lol:

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/030/037/index.html
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I think that this is Giovanni's first manifest.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029
rshowalt

Post by rshowalt »

Misbris -- Thank you so much. In retrospect, the first manifest is so close in spelling and approximate dates, I'm embarassed that I couldn't find it.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Don't be embarassed. :lol: You had what you thought was correct info, it was just badly garbled. I am so impressed that you found Santa's manifest-I never would have found that one. :?

If you need any other help or info, just let us know. :lol:
rshowalt

Post by rshowalt »

Thanks entirely to the assistance with this post, I was able to obtain birth and marriage information for this family from Fagagna.

In searching the web for other information about the family, specifically Santa Quagliaro/a, I located a reference to a book by Zucchiatti Valter entitled "I nomi della gente. Onomastica storica del Comune di Fagagna" (something like "The names of the people. Onomastics historic common Fagagna"), ed. May 2008. This is described as a detailed summary of the families within Fagagna until the middle of last century.

The families studied include Bidini and Quagliara. My library has been unable to locate a copy of this book for interlibrary loan. Can anyone tell me where I can borrow or purchase this book. I am very interested in reviewing the data on the Bidini and Quagliara families.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Try Arnaldo Forni Editore inBologna Italy. send e-mail to INFO@FORNIEDITORE.COM Youcan write in english. They are anantiquarianbookdealer with whom I have dealt with over the years.

You can also contac t the Fagagna Library by e-mail at
BIBLIOTECA@COMUNE.FAGAGNA.UD.IT and make a similar inquiry as to availability. =Peter=
~Peter~
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, you sure have the record abt Santa ( really Santa Giusta QUAGLIARO):

QUAGLIARO SANTA GIUSTA
born in 1879* in VILLALTA daughter of GIOVANNI BATTISTA ( born abt 1852 in VILLALTA son of ERMACORA and GOSPARINI ANTONIA ) and CAPPELLETTI MARIA

Atti
IT/ASUD/ST.CIV.UDN/FAGAGNA.1897/M.1.0/M-6

Varianti dei nomi /also knew as:
1897 - QUAGLIARO SANTA GIUSTINA (Atto di matrimonio - Nome ufficiale)
in marriage act of 1897

Professioni/profession
1897 - CONTADINA (Atto di matrimonio)
farmer in 1897

Luoghi/ places
1897 - VILLALTA (Atto di matrimonio - Nascita)
1897 - VILLALTA (Atto di matrimonio - Residenza)
birth place and marriage place

Marriage:
BIDINI GIOVANNI (Coniuge - 1897)
husband; marriage in 1897...
[hr]
Giovanni Bidini was widow when married at Santa:

BIDINI GIOVANNI
born in 1870 a VILLALTA son of ANTONIO and BUTTAZZONI CATERINA

Atti
IT/ASUD/ST.CIV.UDN/FAGAGNA.1894/M.1.0/M-10
IT/ASUD/LEVA/1870/E.001/SDN/P-116
IT/ASUD/ST.CIV.UDN/FAGAGNA.1897/M.1.0/M-6

Tratti Somatici
Statura: 170
Torace: 95
Capelli: NERI LISCI
Occhi: NERI
Dentatura: SANA
Colorito: ROSEO
Segni particolari:

Varianti dei nomi /name on the documents
1870 - BIDINI GIOVANNI (Prima visita di leva)
1894 - BIDINI GIOVANNI (Atto di matrimonio - Nome ufficiale)
1894 - BINDINI (Atto di matrimonio - on the 1° marriage the surname is Bindini and the first name is different, but is the same person)
1897 - BIDINI GIOVANNI (Atto di matrimonio - Nome ufficiale)

Professioni/profession
1870 - CONTADINO (Prima visita di leva)
1894 - CONTADINO (Atto di matrimonio)
1897 - CONTADINO (Atto di matrimonio)
resulting farmer in all documents( in military draft card and in both of marriage's acts)

Luoghi/places where he lived
1870 - FAGAGNA (Prima visita di leva - Nascita)
1870 - FAGAGNA (Prima visita di leva - Residenza)
1870 - FAGAGNA (Prima visita di leva - Domicilio)
1894 - VILLALTA (Atto di matrimonio - Nascita)
1894 - VILLALTA (Atto di matrimonio - Residenza)
1897 - VILLALTA (Atto di matrimonio - Nascita)
1897 - VILLALTA (Atto di matrimonio - Residenza)

marriages:
TIS ELISA (Coniuge - 1894) 1° wife
QUAGLIARO SANTA GIUSTA (Coniuge - 1897) 2° wife

[hr]
but sure you have not the Giovanni's siblings:
BIDINI ANGELA b 1865 VILLALTA
BIDINI ELIA b. 1872 VILLALTA
BIDINI GIUSEPPE b. 1863 VILLALTA
BIDINI LUIGI b 1877 FAGAGNA
BIDINI TERESA b. 1876* VILLALTA
BIDINI TOMMASO b.1867 VILLALTA
BIDINI UGO b. 1885 FAGAGNA

hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rshowalt

Post by rshowalt »

This additional information is incredibly helpful. If possible, please let me know the source. Is emmigration, death or other information available?

Additionally, is this resource limited to this geographic area or available for other parts of Italy?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi the source is the Archive of Udine on line, and not pertaining deaths but available births, marriages, military draft card http://www.friulinprin.beniculturali.it/ita/WebAsud/
this resource is available also for some other Archive, but no many: Mantova, Treviso, Cosenza and Udine obviously... for what I know...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rshowalt

Post by rshowalt »

Thank you