Wrong Birthdate on Naturalization Papers - how to fix?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Dom90

Wrong Birthdate on Naturalization Papers - how to fix?

Post by Dom90 »

Hello all - I'm a newbie to this terrific site and have tried searching for an answer to my problem. The birthdate on my grandfather's naturalization papers is wrong. I called the (Nassau County, NY) County Clerk's office and was told that they have no authority to amend or change anything. I then called NYS Vital Records and was told the same thing and to contact Citizenship and Immigration Services. I tried everything but couldn't get a live voice on the other end of the CIS phone number.

Is this the right place to fix the birthdate? Has anyone else had the same problem? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

FYI - the naturalization declaration of intention was filed in 1918, and I have an original notorized copy of grandfather's Italian birth certificate as well as a copy of his Florida death certificate with the correct birthdate.

Thanks very much.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Wrong Birthdate on Naturalization Papers - how to fix?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Dom90 wrote:Hello all - I'm a newbie to this terrific site and have tried searching for an answer to my problem. The birthdate on my grandfather's naturalization papers is wrong. I called the (Nassau County, NY) County Clerk's office and was told that they have no authority to amend or change anything. I then called NYS Vital Records and was told the same thing and to contact Citizenship and Immigration Services. I tried everything but couldn't get a live voice on the other end of the CIS phone number.

Is this the right place to fix the birthdate? Has anyone else had the same problem? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

FYI - the naturalization declaration of intention was filed in 1918, and I have an original notorized copy of grandfather's Italian birth certificate as well as a copy of his Florida death certificate with the correct birthdate.

Thanks very much.

How "wrong" is it? A few days? an even month?

So far as I know, it is impossible to get naturalization documents changed in any way whatsoever. You need to be able to convince the consulate that the naturalization docs you have areally are your ancestor's and not some other person with the same name. This can be difficult or easy, depending on the nature of the discrepancy and the hard-headedness of the consulate official.
Dom90

Post by Dom90 »

Thanks, johnnyonthespot. The date is off by one year and three days. I know mistakes were common back then, but I have no answer as to what happened here. I do know that at the time my grandfather could not speak english very well, and he certainly couldn't write it.

I've spent almost two years getting documents from Italy and four states. I really don't want everything to end like this.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Dom

I think your going to have to convince the consulate that the naturalization record is for you ancestor, even with the incorrect birthdate. Everything I have read says historical naturalization records can not be corrected or amended. If the person the record applies to, you have a possibility. The individual can petition to correct a record with CIS.

Good luck and let us know the outcome. This question has been asked before and others can learn from your experience.

Debbie
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

I think I would just use the autocertifiction document for this one. They may just accept that.
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

Your grandfather may have given that wrong date because the war might have been still going on and its possible that he may have been pulled into it if his age was in the range they needed.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

corrado wrote:I think I would just use the autocertifiction document for this one. They may just accept that.
I was under the impression that autocertificazione was an option available only to recognized Italian citizens.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.italia.gov.it and put in AUTOCERTIFICAZIONE inthe CERCA box and it explains the process but it is in Italian which I believe you can read sufficiently well to obtain the information youare seeking. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:Go to www.italia.gov.it and put in AUTOCERTIFICAZIONE inthe CERCA box and it explains the process but it is in Italian which I believe you can read sufficiently well to obtain the information youare seeking. =Peter=
Yes, well, when all is said and done it appears to me that autocertificazione is a process by which Italian Citizens can "self certify" a fact such as the birth of a child (http://www.regione.lazio.it/Autocertifi ... lioForm.do), place of residence (http://www.regione.lazio.it/Autocertifi ... nzaForm.do), or even citizenship status (http://www.regione.lazio.it/Autocertifi ... nzaForm.do). See the complete list at http://www.regione.lazio.it/Autocertifi ... oneList.do. Google translates the first paragraph as "This section is made available for the service of self-certification. The application form is a declaration signed by the citizen in his own hand and can replace normal certificates and affidavits, in relations with government and with licensees and managers of public services, according to the uses permitted by law (the Consolidated Law on administrative records - DPR 28/12/2000 - No. 445). "

Imagine if persons seeking Italian citizenship jus sanguinis could simply self-certify and then apply for thier passport!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Johynnyonthespot.Why not if their documents are authenticated and certified??

By the way Dom 90 do you read,write and speak Italian well enough to understand the website? =Peter=
~Peter~