Fusco/Calvi from Stigliano, Matera, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
momof4

Fusco/Calvi from Stigliano, Matera, Italy

Post by momof4 »

Hello!
I'm trying to find any information about Giuseppe Fusco b.1894 and Anna Maria Calvi b. 1901 both from Stigliano, Italy. I have info for them once they came to the US but not from the small town they are from in Italy. Anna Maria Calvi was thought to be adopted but do not know how to confirm. I am new to this so any clues on how to proceed w/ Italian searches would be great! Thanks!
vj
Master
Master

Re: Fusco/Calvi from Stigliano, Matera, Italy

Post by vj »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum!
Did you mean Stigliano, Matera province, Basilicata?
Valarie
---

Here's one way to get a few records - in Italy vital records (acts) are kept at the comune

Research in Stigliano by writing to the comune:

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Address:

Comune di Stigliano
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Zanardelli 33
75018 Stigliano MT
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/basilicata/62-stigliano/
---

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/
===

You could also review your family’s records on microfilm.

Your nearest Family History Center has records for Stigliano on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

film notes for Stigliano

Topic:
Italy, Matera, Stigliano - Civil registration
Title:
Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1929 Stigliano (Matera).
Ufficio dello stato civile
---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The surname in the Stigliano, Matera Province records is Calbi and not Calvi. The records for the town on microfilm are extremely difficult to read, but you may have luck if the couple married there in the early 1900s. Their names should appear in the margins of the records and there may be indexes on these films to help you locate the record. Not all Stigliano microfilms have indexes. Also there are province films, for the province of Matera, but these have other towns on them and you only get one or sometimes two years of a particular type of record for the town of Stigliano on each roll of film, and there are 220 rolls of microfilm for the province.

Nati 1925-1929 -- Matrimoni 1911-1929 -- Pubblicazioni di matrimoni 1911-1927 VAULT INTL Film 2252344

Pubblicazioni di matrimoni 1928-1929 -- Allegati di matrimoni 1911-1915 VAULT INTL Film 2252345

Allegati di matrimoni 1915 (cont.), 1926-1927 VAULT INTL Film
2252462 Items 1 - 3

There is a good possibility that if you write to the town, you will not get a response. I've been told by cousins who have traveled there that the people in the town hall are of the mentality that it's who you know and not what you know. I know of one cousin who went directly to the town hall there, but only had luck because a distant cousin who lived in Stigliano and spoke the local dialect, went with him, called ahead and requested certain information, and also worked in the municipal bldg where the anagrafe office was located and therefore had connections there. I did years of research of microfilmed records for the town and am sorry that I do not have the individuals you are searching for in my database. If you could just locate the parents' names of your two individuals, I may have something in my database to help you. These surnames, however, only came into my own ancestry or that my two cousins through marriages, so the info I have on these surnames is very limited.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There is a reference to the surname spelled as Calvi in a book about the history of the town of Stigliano by Giuseppe Pennetti. On the same page of the book, p. 25, there is mention of a town notary by the name of Francesco Calbi. In this instance, his surname was spelled with a b and not a v.