Seminaria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
annettepicconi

Seminaria

Post by annettepicconi »

I am looking for information regarding my great grandmother Giuseppina/Joseppa Seminaria (not sure if last name is spelled correctly) She was born about 1876 and died in New Orleans in 1960. She married Nicolo Lopiparo from Contessa Entellina. I think they married in New Orleans but I have not been able to find a record. I have her obit and it says she was from Palermo. Unfortunately it does not say if it is the province of Palermo or the city of Palermo. I would like to hear from anyone who has relatives with a similar spelling of the last name Seminaria. I am going to send a letter to the city of Palermo first and then if I don't receive anything there I will start with the painful process of contacting all of the communes in Palermo.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Seminaria

Post by PeterTimber »

There are some people here who have a subscription to Ancestry.com and perhaps locate her arrival around 1895 (1876 +19 years as an estimate only) at New Orleans, Louisiana. The passenger list shoud have her town or village of origin if she did niot come from Palermo City as a place of birth. Once you have her place of birth it will be downhill from there.

Her maiden name is most likely SEMINARA which is diffuse between Calabria and Sicily. =Peter=
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
Here's a possible manifest
Not much information
Birth date off by abt 3 years
Single
Marriage was probably in US, New Orleans?
Valarie

1892 manifest

Name: Giuseppe(a) Seminara
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Giava
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Arrival Date: 3 Jun 1892
Ethnic Background: Italian;Sicilian (Italian)
National Archives' Series Number: M259_77
---

note: tried various surname spellings on this site for Orleans Parish looking for the marriage record w/o success
http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/tabid/633/Default.aspx
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are only 3 cities where she most likely came from and worthy of a request for birth record. These places inthe province of Palermo are PALERMO, GANGI and ALIMENA.

Send form letters requesting documents fromwww.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italian-form-letters.html and mail them to the UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE in each city and town.

Palermo: Via Lazio 119, Stanza 11, 90100, Palermo, (PA), Sicily Italy
Gangi: Salita Municipio,90024, Gangi, (PA), Sicily, Italy
Alimena: Via Catania 68, 90020 Alimena (PA) Sicily, Italy

There are usually no charge for these birth documents.They are free. You can request the long form=Estratto Di Nascita. =Peter=
~Peter~
annettepicconi

Post by annettepicconi »

Peter,
Thanks for the info. I do have a subscription to www.ancestry but I have not found her there. The strangest thing is that I have information about her husband's family Nicolo Lopiparo all the way back to 1640 in Contessa Entellina. He came to New Orleans when he was 10 years old. I did find a manifest for a Giuseppina Seminara that could possibly be a match but it just indicated the city as Palermo. Again, thanks for your help.
PeterTimber wrote:There are some people here who have a subscription to <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> and perhaps locate her arrival around 1895 (1876 +19 years as an estimate only) at New Orleans, Louisiana. The passenger list shoud have her town or village of origin if she did niot come from Palermo City as a place of birth. Once you have her place of birth it will be downhill from there.

Her maiden name is most likely SEMINARA which is diffuse between Calabria and Sicily. =Peter=
annettepicconi

Post by annettepicconi »

Peter,

I tried the www.angelfirel.com website but it did not have form letters. Thanks anyway, I have resources for requesting them in Italian. I have already requested the one from Palermo. So now I sit and wait.

PeterTimber wrote:There are only 3 cities where she most likely came from and worthy of a request for birth record. These places inthe province of Palermo are PALERMO, GANGI and ALIMENA.

Send form letters requesting documents fromwww.angelfirel.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italian-form-letters.html and mail them to the UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE in each city and town.

Palermo: Via Lazio 119, Stanza 11, 90100, Palermo, (PA), Sicily Italy
Gangi: Salita Municipio,90024, Gangi, (PA), Sicily, Italy
Alimena: Via Catania 68, 90020 Alimena (PA) Sicily, Italy

There are usually no charge for these birth documents.They are free. You can request the long form=Estratto Di Nascita. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

annettepicconi wrote:Peter,

I tried the www.angelfirel.com website but it did not have form letters. Thanks anyway, I have resources for requesting them in Italian. I have already requested the one from Palermo. So now I sit and wait.
There was a typo in Peter's msg. The address is http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html /no "l" after angelfire)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

annettepicconi wrote:I am looking for information regarding my great grandmother Giuseppina/Joseppa Seminaria (not sure if last name is spelled correctly) She was born about 1876 and died in New Orleans in 1960. She married Nicolo Lopiparo from Contessa Entellina. I think they married in New Orleans but I have not been able to find a record. I have her obit and it says she was from Palermo. Unfortunately it does not say if it is the province of Palermo or the city of Palermo. I would like to hear from anyone who has relatives with a similar spelling of the last name Seminaria. I am going to send a letter to the city of Palermo first and then if I don't receive anything there I will start with the painful process of contacting all of the communes in Palermo.
Hi, by 1900 census seeming that they married around 1894:

1900 United States Federal Census
about Nicolo Lopifiero
Name: Nicolo Lopifiero
[Nicola Lopipero]
Home in 1900: New Orleans Ward 6, Orleans, Louisiana
Birth Date: Jul 1867
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1891
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's name: Joseppa
Marriage Year: 1894
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 6
Residence : New Orleans City, Orleans, Louisiana
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Nicolo Lopifiero 32
Joseppa Lopifiero 24
Paul Lopifiero 5
Antonina Lopifiero 2

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
annettepicconi

Post by annettepicconi »

Hi Suanj,

Thanks for the information. I have a subscription to www.ancestry.com and have worked with some someone who was able to take the Lopiparo name all the way back to 1640 in Contessa Entellina. I was told that the name Seminara is not Albanian so I don't think they got married in Contessa Entellina. Nicolo Lopiparo came to New Orleans with his family in 1891 and he was 10 years old then. Again, thank you for all the help.

suanj wrote:
annettepicconi wrote:I am looking for information regarding my great grandmother Giuseppina/Joseppa Seminaria (not sure if last name is spelled correctly) She was born about 1876 and died in New Orleans in 1960. She married Nicolo Lopiparo from Contessa Entellina. I think they married in New Orleans but I have not been able to find a record. I have her obit and it says she was from Palermo. Unfortunately it does not say if it is the province of Palermo or the city of Palermo. I would like to hear from anyone who has relatives with a similar spelling of the last name Seminaria. I am going to send a letter to the city of Palermo first and then if I don't receive anything there I will start with the painful process of contacting all of the communes in Palermo.
Hi, by 1900 census seeming that they married around 1894:

1900 United States Federal Census
about Nicolo Lopifiero
Name: Nicolo Lopifiero
[Nicola Lopipero]
Home in 1900: New Orleans Ward 6, Orleans, Louisiana
Birth Date: Jul 1867
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1891
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's name: Joseppa
Marriage Year: 1894
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 6
Residence : New Orleans City, Orleans, Louisiana
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Nicolo Lopifiero 32
Joseppa Lopifiero 24
Paul Lopifiero 5
Antonina Lopifiero 2

suanj
annettepicconi

Post by annettepicconi »

Livio,

Thanks for the correction of the website. I will take a look at it.
liviomoreno wrote:
annettepicconi wrote:Peter,

There was a typo in Peter's msg. The address is http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html /no "l" after angelfire)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

annettepicconi wrote:Livio,

I think this site can be even more helpful.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
annettepicconi wrote:Livio,

I think this site can be even more helpful.
I agree!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thanks for correcting the typo Livio. I like the angelfire websites because it is part of a total series of form letters. Thanks again. =Peter=
~Peter~
annettepicconi

Post by annettepicconi »

HI Valarie,

I saw that manifest also. If you look at the heading of the column on the manifest it listed people under the age of 15 but on the screen for ancestry.com it indicated her age as 19.

It is a good possibility that this could be her. I have requested the birth extract from Palermo.

Thanks
Annette
vj wrote:Hello!
Here's a possible manifest
Not much information
Birth date off by abt 3 years
Single
Marriage was probably in US, New Orleans?
Valarie

1892 manifest

Name: Giuseppe(a) Seminara
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Giava
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Arrival Date: 3 Jun 1892
Ethnic Background: Italian;Sicilian (Italian)
National Archives' Series Number: M259_77
---

note: tried various surname spellings on this site for Orleans Parish looking for the marriage record w/o success
http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/tabid/633/Default.aspx