Sorge

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
KatySorge

Sorge

Post by KatySorge »

Hi

We have hit a stumbling block in our family tree and wonder if anyone can advise where we go from here!
We have traced our family back to Carmelo Sorge born in Sicily in 1785 possibly we think in the Palermo region/town. He was in England from 1817 and served in the Royal Horseguards and married a Mary Burgess and had 8 children. How do we trace his parents? We have tried all the usual routes ancestry and archives etc but now the trail has gone to sicily we are not sure how or where to look.
We would appreciate any advice people can offer.

Thanks

Katy
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Sorge

Post by PeterTimber »

While having a city, town or village of origin in Italy very helpful in tracing family roots, perhaps if we take a chance on pursuing 3 Carmelo Sorge and leaving the remaining 81 Sorge persons currently residing in Sicily awaiting further possible research,
'
If you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Sorge in the first line and alongside put in Carmelo and beneath that put in Sicilia and click CERCA this will bring up 3 Carmelo Sorge, two of which reside in Catania Province and just one in the town of PARTNICO in the Province of Palermo. First names tend to remain in families and I hold this out to you for your consideration and possible use.

I did look at the www.familysearch.org website under ancestor search and came across a family bearing some similarity to your Carmelo. Inthis website there is a FREDERICO CARMELO SORGE born July 12, 1857, the earliest listed, whose father was Frederico Carmelo Sorge and whose mother was Clara Harriet. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I picked Carmelo Sorgeup in www.findmypast.com as being born 1786 and residing in Kensington at age 55 inthe 1841 census which I did not want you to overlook for fear that it escaped your researches. It is a paying websitge and further details of the census takers requires joining or paying a fee. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I also picked up the name Carmelo Sorge in a book review which you can trace as follows. www.worldvitalrecords.com and put in Carmel Sorge and up will come 1841 and 1861 census but avoid that and go down to Italian books and periodicals and there is a snippet from a book published by the University of California which you can barely see (puposefully made so) and which you may wish to trace back to its publication in 1961 by writing to the University. I amnot sure how useful it maybe but its a lead of sorts. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Postscript: Since there is one CARMELO SORGE currently residing in town of Partnico, Palermo province you may wish to send him a potential relative letter in english form letter.

Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Sorge and alongside Carmelo. Beneath this put in the next line PARTNICO and then click on CERCA. The Carmelo Sorge name will show up with his home address which should be easy to interpret along with his home telephone number.

The website for the form letter to send to him is found at this website:
www.initaly.com/gene/mem/letter1.htm =Peter=
~Peter~