ancestry websites

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
k8landers
Rookie
Rookie

ancestry websites

Post by k8landers »

There are so many different websites to use to collect information - and they each cost money - ancestry.com, genealogybank.com, worldvitalrecords.com, etc......

Which one has been the most helpful to all of you?

Thanks.

katie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: ancestry websites

Post by wldspirit »

Ancestry......but there are free sites out there that are very helpful. It really just depends on the state....

Familysearch is making great strides in providing records online, and the work is being done by volunteers who transcribe the records:

Volunteer

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

I must second Wldspirit's opinion; Ancestry is the most helpful but, there are other websites, such as FamilySearch.com. It does depend on where you are. If you're looking for WV records, then the best site is this one: http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_select.aspx

It's really amazing. For WV records, this is better than Ancestry.com.

Let us know what area you're looking for, in Italy and The States. :D

P.S. I didn't know you could volunteer for FamilySearch.com. I'll have to give that a try.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Go for it, and if that one doesn't feel right for you let me know, Ancestry also has a volunteer program, as does the Brigham University.

Immigrant Ancestors Project

We can't complain about the availability of records if we don't each do our part to help make them available... :wink:
Even if it's just transcriptions of material you have come across in your own research.
wldspirit

Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

wldspirit wrote:Go for it, and if that one doesn't feel right for you let me know, Ancestry also has a volunteer program, as does the Brigham University.

Immigrant Ancestors Project

We can't complain about the availability of records if we don't each do our part to help make them available... :wink:
Even if it's just transcriptions of material you have come across in your own research.
wldspirit
I have keyed a few records for Ancestry.com. I'm going to get started on FamilySearch.com tomorrow. :D
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
TomG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TomG »

I agree that ancestry.com has been the most helpful overall. I finally got a formal tree created and found cousins that I didn't know about through hints and links.

For finding Italian family this site has been invaluable. We found my grandmother's family and got to meet them this past May. We even got to spend the night in the house where my grandmother was born along with meeting some wonderful new cousins.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I find that World Vital records are best since you can obtain much information just by learning the "ins and outs" of the website. I get immigration and vitals, deaths and gravesites, name variations all free of charge. =Peter=
~Peter~
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Do you have a special deal worked out with them, Peter? :wink: They're always trying to charge me.

I tend to use Ancestry most often, because I can access it in the library free of charge, but in doing due diligence, I can see the advantages of checking the various sites available, since they each have a slightly different focus. As with the choice of genealogy software, personal preference has a lot to do with it. Use what works for you.

Jerry
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jwazevedo I do not have any special deal with anyone. I just click everywhere until I find sites that magically appear out of no where. Sometimes the information is not sufficient but leads you toother websites where the information is available sans any charge

I do not like Ancestor.com becuse they will not hold open unpaid for information and you can't click take the candy and run. =Peter=
~Peter~
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

Greetings:
I do agree that Ancestry is very handy and convient. I recently started hosting some of my large databasese of over 100,000 names of linked research. People that share common roots, can link to what I have.

I passed by the Brigham Young genealogy library last week, and was told that family search will be have most of their microfimed records, converted to digital in the near future.

Also, Indexing is progressing at a rate of 500,000 names a day.
Many of the Italian records are currently being indexed & available on line, which will make research much, much easier.

I was also in the Treviso State Archive of northern Italy several weeks ago, and almost nothing they have is INDEXED, except for some Miltary records, that they have posted on their web site.

VOLENTEERS REALLY DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

I'd really like to pay back with some indexig, but I don't know Italian. Can i still do it? What kind of information exactly are you taking off the record? Also, FHC has a film for my dad's town from 1900 to 1910 and that's it.. Then they say to search Tuscany.... well, it's over 3000 films. Female births for this year. Male deaths for this year, etc. No way. Indexing will be key to my work for sure.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

This instructional guide gives a good overview of the type of information you would be working with:

http://immigrants.byu.edu/Downloads/Ita ... efault.htm

wldspirit

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I am a few months late to this thread (I dont often view this section), but Donna, if you can read the information from Italian documents that you have gotten, then you can type these Italian documents.

Right next to where you type is a "field help" that tells you what to type in that section. You dont have to worry about errors, because after the typists type, an arbitrator checks them out.

I have been volunteering for the FHL Family Search for almost two years. You dont even have to start off with the italian records, do some of the censuses (in english), to get your feet wet.

I also did a little work for ancestry. I dont much care for their operation there. I think the FHL has much more respect for the people who work for them, for free.

Anyway, anyone who would like to give back to the FHL can check out their Indexing site here:

https://indexing.familysearch.org/newuser/nuhome.jsf

Its very easy, very entertaining and they dont pressure you or give you a bunch of rules. You can do one record, or thousands..nobody bothers you. Check it out.