Question about next step...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Question about next step...

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im trying to find naturalization records for my great grandfather, my link to dual citizenship.

delete

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Question about next step...

Post by johnnyonthespot »

DeFilippis78 wrote:Im trying to find naturalization records for my great grandfather, my link to dual citizenship, Beniamino Passaro.

The National archives of NYC told me there is no record of him at all and to try New Jersey state archives and Hudson County archives.

NJ State archives said they do not hold the naturalization records from the 1850s and on. Supposedly there were only NJ state naturalizations up to the early 1800s.Anythime after the early 1800s , you have to contact the county. So they sent my check back to me and said any proof would lie with hudson county.

Havent heard from Hudson yet. What happens if they say they cant find anything, then what? I kow Im supposed to contact federal, state and county records. My last hope is county records.Federal has nothing, state has nothing.

The problem is on his last census before his death it said naturalized without a date. I dont know whats going on. Was he naturalized or not is what Im wondering

Alicia
Alicia, you don't say above whether or not you have gone to the USCIS site and requested an Index search. Can you clarify this point?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I realized that after the fact that I typed it. Is that the best way to go? When I contacted NARA of NYC they said check with state and county so thats what I did. Im afraid I dont have much info on him.

Alicia
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Alicia,

I suggest trying the NJ state archives again. I was there a few years ago looking for naturalization records. They told me they did not have any. Asked a different person and they do. I was given an old book to look through that had declaration of intents and naturalization records. Must have been 11 x 17. I was looking about 1930. I don't have records with me, so I can't check the court.

Here are some of the NJ archives holding.

http://www.state.nj.us/state/darm/links ... atura.html
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im looking for anywhere between 1890-1910. They said the state only carries naturalization files for 1800s and under. Anything for 1855 and after is handled by the county.

Im trying to do a search through USCIS but cant because I dont have an excat date of birth. This is such a puzzle.

Alicia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

VaDeb wrote:Alicia,

I suggest trying the NJ state archives again. I was there a few years ago looking for naturalization records. They told me they did not have any. Asked a different person and they do. I was given an old book to look through that had declaration of intents and naturalization records. Must have been 11 x 17. I was looking about 1930. I don't have records with me, so I can't check the court.

Here are some of the NJ archives holding.

http://www.state.nj.us/state/darm/links ... atura.html
I checked the website and of course the one county that doesnt have a "finding aid" is hudson county, the one I need.

Alicia