Michele & Domenico De Cesare or Di Cesare

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
JerryD57

Michele & Domenico De Cesare or Di Cesare

Post by JerryD57 »

My grandfather, Giuseppe De Cesare, had two brothers that were with him on his first visit to the US in 1887 along with his sisters Maddalena and Eleanora and parents Cesidio De Cesare and Filomena Marchitelli. Giuseppe was only 3 years old at the time and Michele 22 and Domenico 14.

I know that Cesidio Di Cesare (name was changed later to De Cesare???) was born in Villavallelonga, L'Aquila, Abruzzo and Filomena in Montescaglioso, Matera, Basilicata. Filomena was married one time before Cesidio in 1855 to Damiano Gallipoli and they had a son Vincenzo in Montescaglisoso. Damiano must have died and I am not sure when yet.

I do not know where Cesidio & Filomena were married and where Michele and Domenico were born, but do know that Eleanora was born in Tolve, Potenza, Basilicata; Maddalena was born in Laterza, Basiicata and Giuseppe in Montescaglioso. Additionally Cesidio and Filomena both died in Montescaglioso. So they seemed to move south from Villavallelonga to Tolve to Laterza over to Montescaglioso. Where were Michele & Domenico born????

It appears that Domenico want back to Montescaglioso, married Giuseppina Cipresso and had children that I found named Filomena, Cesidio, Eleanora & Vittoria and Michele. I have not found a marriage to or birth certificate for him, but the names follow. As I am going through Montescaglioso microfilm at the FHC I have not come across a De Cesare there so Cesidio must have brought the name there and Domenico raised his family there.

I have not been able to find a Michele that fits.

ANY HELP???
----------------------------------------------------------
Names in family: Palmieri, Masi, Di Cesare, De Cesare, Marchitelli, Andriulli, Cimaligno, Lippa, Carriero, Di Brittii, Bianchi, Tantalo, Eletto, Basile, Contuzzi, Mastrella, Lacanfora, Venezia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Michele & Domenico De Cesare or Di Cesare

Post by PeterTimber »

Take the companion book for the microfilms "Discovering Your Italian Amcestors by Lynn Nelson" which you may dfind helpfu.

Further marriages in Italy usually took place in the Brides parish church so that may be a lead to follow. Spelling changes to names occur quite frequently over the centuries.. i's to e's etc

The website http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html may also be helpful. =Peter=
~Peter~
JerryD57

Post by JerryD57 »

Thanks. I have the book requested at our library system which has it. I researched the Montescaglioso FHC microfilm today from 1864-1874. Unfortunately most of those years had a lot of water damage and are unreadable or missing which would have had Cesidio De Cesare's marriage to Filomena Marchitelli if Michele was 22 in 1887 (and they were married first) as it is her home town.

For Domenico's marriage I need to find where Cipresso's were as they were not in Montescaglioso in my research from 1809 to 1874. Will check surnames in surrounding towns.

Or Michele, I have nothing, but have found a Michele in another's ancestry that was born around then in the same province of L'Aquila in Carapelle Calvisio as Villavallelonga is in. Small town (less than 125 in 1991 and in 2001 less than 95 people) and the town hall fax number does not pick up at night (there)as it is the same as the town hall number. Don't know if they kept records there either as it is a small town. If I could get the death certificate, I could see parents (I hope). Anyone know the record place for that area?
Names in family: Palmieri, Masi, Di Cesare, De Cesare, Marchitelli, Andriulli, Cimaligno, Lippa, Carriero, Di Brittii, Bianchi, Tantalo, Eletto, Basile, Contuzzi, Mastrella, Lacanfora, Venezia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If it is considered a comune (with zip code=CAP inItaly) then verify by going to www.nonsolocap.it and put in name at the top and click Cerca for zip code/CAP townname, provinc e and region. =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

All records are usually kept in the town. Here is some info. Notice that the mayor's name is Domenico Di Cesare, I am sure he will help you. :lol:

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/066/024/index.html
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

To cross check any information you can also go to www.tuttitalia.it/abruzzo/71-carapelle-calvisio scroll down to MUNICIPIO for municipal town hall and official offices. =Peter=
~Peter~
JerryD57

Post by JerryD57 »

An update to what I have done and found out. I still have no answers.

Regarding Michele, I have contacted the town of Carapelle Carvisio on a 3 way call with a friend that spoke Italian. I followed up with a letter, as described and modified from Angelfire website, to the person, but have not heard back after 2 follow ups, so the right Michele must not have been born there. I have also sent letters via e-mail to Frosolone and Sulmona where possible Micheles I found on immigration documents came from.

I also found the birth of Vincenzo Gallipoli, the first son to my great grand mother, Filomena Marchitelli's first marriage, in 1867 which throws a wrench in the process. The immigration document stated Michele was 22 in 1887 which had to be wrong (nothing new there) as it would have been an 1865 birth which was not the case if Vincenzo was born in 1867. Filomena and Cesidio must have been married later, but Michele still should have been the first son as my GG grandfather was Michele too. So now that puts him somewhere between 1868 and 1872 (brother Domenico born in 1873 if immigration was right on him).

On Domenico, I have been trying to find Giuseppina Cipresso's home town and then the marriage to get his age, etc. I have searched white pages and surnames and found the following towns where I e-mailed letters hoping to find a birth or marriage for her: San Nicola Arcella, Maiori, Bitetto, Latiano and Aversa. I have even found a living Giuseppina Cipresso in Rome on Facebook that might be helping in calling those towns for help, but that does not have any ancestors that she knows of related (provided our translations back and forth are understood). No word from any yet.

The book on Italian Genealogy was good, but most of which I had learned the hard way via the Family History Center and wished I had the book first! It did give me some ideas on military records. Is there an online site that I could research those now as the book was written before most internet ways were used much?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your past suggestions and directions. Merry Christmas to all!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

On Domenico, I have been trying to find Giuseppina Cipresso's home town and then the marriage to get his age, etc. I have searched white pages and surnames and found the following towns where I e-mailed letters hoping to find a birth or marriage for her: San Nicola Arcella, Maiori, Bitetto, Latiano and Aversa. I have even found a living Giuseppina Cipresso in Rome on Facebook that might be helping in calling those towns for help, but that does not have any ancestors that she knows of related (provided our translations back and forth are understood). No word from any yet.
Domenico made another trip in USA, wife Giuseppina in Montescaglioso, joining at son Cesidio De Cesare in Hartrford, Conn.; the birthplace is Miglionico, so maybe it could be married in Miglionico, or in any case Miglionico have marriage note abt Domenico:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Domenico De Cesare
Name: Domenico De Cesare
Arrival Date: 7 Dec 1929
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy

Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Conte Biancamano
Search Ship Database: Search the Conte Biancamano in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
NATIVITY: Italy
Line: 14
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_4640
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: miglionico
Page Number: 226

regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JerryD57

Post by JerryD57 »

Thank you for the Miglionico information. I found an e-mail I sent there in April, but never heard back on and forgot about it. I resent one today. I also had not looked at the next page on the document which shows the Giuseppina and Cesidio too. Thanks again.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

abt Eleonora, I know that you already know, but maybe the marriage record could be helpful also:
Groom's name: Rosario Siepps
Groom's age in years: 27

Groom's estimated birth year: 1863
Groom's birth date: 1863
Groom's birthplace:
Bride's name: Eleonora Decesare
Bride's age in years: 16
Bride's estimated birth year: 1874
Bride's birth date: 1874

Bride's birthplace:
Marriage type: Marriage
Marriage date: 02 Nov 1890
Marriage place: Cook, Illinois

Film number: 1030195
Frame number:
Digital GS number: 4271154
Image number: 1304
Reference number: 159334
Collection: Illinois, Cook County Marriages 1871-1920

http://s6.imagestime.com/out.php/i44505 ... 541304.jpg
frankly.. the Rosario (Ross) surname, seeming to me SERPE in italian spelling...

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH