Looking for Family Information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Looking for Family Information

Post by Mardi »

Merry Christmas everyone, may we find peace and comfort in the world.

I am looking for family information or Salvatore Calamusa. All I found was his 1900 Census with his wife Annie and children.
I looked for the ship they all arrived on (Immergration year 1896), and could not locate them. Or any other Census they or any were listed on. I was hoping that you could please help me.

Thank you for all the help you have provided me in the past.

Mardi
vj
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Family Information

Post by vj »

Hi Mardi,
for reference, is this the correct census
Thank you, Valarie

possible 1900 census

Home in 1900:
Lewis Lane
New Orleans Ward 16, Orleans, Louisiana

all immig 1896 in US 4 yrs

head Salvatore Calamusa 50, born Jan 1850 IT
- married 25 years, abt 1875
- farm laborer
wife Annie Calamusa 45, born March 1855 IT
- 7 children born, 6 children living
son Frankie Calamusa 23, born Nov 1876 IT
son Arthuro Calamusa 21, born Sep 1878 IT
son Frederico Calamusa 18, born May 1882 IT
daughter May Calamusa 13, born Oct 1886 IT
daughter Josephine Calamusa 8, born Nov 1891 IT
son Johny Calamusa 6, born Sep 1893 IT
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Thank you vj......Correct that is the family. That is the only information that I have found also. Can not find anything else on any of the Children or what happen to any of them.....

I have looked for Frankie, Arthur, Frederico and Johnny Calamusa and came up with nothing. Though maybe I can get some help here.

Thank you for your response.

Mardi
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Mardi,
I understand what you mean. I couldn't find any trace of the parents or children either.
I tried both last name alone throughout US and the boys first names and approx birth years for WWI records.
I can't imagine what happened unless they all returned to Italy, or there was major name change.
Valarie
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Valarie.....I was thinking the same thing. I also tried to locate them arriving in 1896, since they were probably traveing all together. Didn't have any luck there either.

Thanks for your help.
Mardi
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Mardi and Valarie,

I found a Frank Calamusa in the 1920 Census living in Brooklyn. Don't know if it's the same "Frankie" we see in the 1900 Census. Here is the info:

Frank Calamusa, 42, Immigrated 1900, Naturalized 1917, Grocer
Wife: Mary, 31, Immigrated 1897
Dghtr: Grace, 3, "naturalized" 1917 (?)

Like both of you I searched all the names and only found this listing.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

OOOPS....the last name was actually spelled "Calamera"...

T.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Thanks for the effort Tessa 78, I have seen Calamusa spelled so many differents ways that it could have been the Frankie on the 1900 Census. I will check this Frank Calamera out, since you did find a wife (Mary) and daughter (Grace) names.

Looks like the family vanished, changed their name or just went back to Italy like Valarie said.

Thank you so much.
Mardi
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I had a case in my research where an entire family disappeared between the 1910 and 1920 censuses. I searched and searched and found nothing until I got to church and cemetery records. Parents were in their 50's and all the children were between 16 and 25. All died within that 10 year period. The strange thig was that they all died in different years, so I could not account for it by some kind of epidemic. The father was the last in 1919. I still can't believe such a sad thing could happen. I am probably the only person who realizes this family existed.

Unfortunately, the records do not show cause of death for any of them. When I finish with my immediate family(if that ever happens) I am going to try to access the death certificates and try to solve this mystery.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Very interesting misbris....I did search the Census that Tessa78 had found a Frank Calamera and I did find a Salvatore Calamera living with son-in-law and daughter (Savator and Frances Rizzo) in New Jersey .... he was born the same year as the Salvatore Calamusa that I am looking for.

There was no Frances though on the 1900 Census.

Where this all begin was - while searching the Calamusa's, Salvatore showed up on FAMILY SEARCH.

Thanks for the information misbris...have a very pleasant day.
Mardi