requesting military records

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

requesting military records

Post by teakandreggie »

Hi,
I will be requesting military records(reqistro di leva, registro dei fogli matriolari, and foglio di ruolo) from Archivio di Stato di Bari.
When I did a search several addresses came up. Does anyone know the correct address. I think the following is the correct address, but not 100% sure.

Piazza Luigi Savoia

Thanks
TeakandReggie
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: requesting military records

Post by liviomoreno »

Archivio Di Stato Di Bari
Via Pietro Oreste, 45
70123 Bari
Italy

URL: www.archiviodistatobari.beniculturali.it
email: as-ba @ beniculturali.it (no spaces)
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

Thanks for the correct address!

TeakandReggie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You did not mention whether your sending a letter in Italian language to the Archivio di Stato, Sezione Militare in Bari at the address furnished you.Please advise whether you need a form letter in Italian when writing for the conscription records. =Peter=
~Peter~
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

I was planning to write one with the help of a friend. If you have a form letter that I can use I would be forever grateful.
My Grandfather came to NYC in 1911, but returned to Italy to serve. I am not sure when he returned. I have a picture of him in his Bersaglieri uniform.

Thanks again.
TeakandReggie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html and at the last page under Conscription Records and what the the state archives records contain. The form letter in Italian is also provided. =Peter=
~Peter~
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ddevirgilio »

First of all, thank you both for the very helpful information. I find myself conducting a very similar search because all of my ancestors are from Molfetta in the province of Bari.

I am very interested in attaining military records for both my grandfathers and one of my paternal great-grandfathers. My paternal grandfather was killed in WWII while serving in the Italian military. My maternal grandfather apparently won a medal of some sort during WWII. My paternal grandmother's father was supposedly a prisoner of war in Austria during WWI.

After reading the information provided above, I was wondering if someone might be able to share some insights into the following:
- Is sending requests for information via email completely futile? In other words, are traditional letters always preferred?
- Would it be inappropriate to request records for all three individuals in one request?

Thanks,
Damian
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

You know Peter, I have seen the suggestion many times before. Today I went to the site following your directions and find no form letter for requesting copies of military documents. Nothing to click on. Am I just being dumb?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

ddevirgilio wrote:... My paternal grandfather was killed in WWII while serving in the Italian military.
You may find this site of interest. Enter your ancestor's name (cognome=surname, nome=given name), then click Avvia Ricerca button. Assuming you get a list of possible persons on the next page, click the arrow in the Dettagli column. On the next page, you can see the date and place of birth (Data/Luogo di Nascita), the burial location (Luogo Sepoltura) and the date and place of death (Data/Luogo Decesso).

Also, as to requesting records, I had good results with the following:
Egregii Signori,

Mi chiamo [my name here], ed abitare negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto.

Vi scrivo ora affinche mi aiutiate per fornire:

• FOGLIO DI CONGEDO ILLIMITATO

per i miei nonno:

• [grandfather's name] nato nel Comune di [place of birth] [date of birth] paternita’ [father's given name/nome], maternita’ [mother's maiden name "SMITH JANE"]

Sarà mio onere il rimborso per le spese di uso del servizio e costi di spedizione. Mi faccia sapere l'importo corretto.

Distinti saluti,

[my name/signature]

Full names should be written in lastname firstname format in all caps, thus "SMITH JOHN". Dates should be written dd month yyyy with the month spelled out in all lower case (01 febbraio 1885).

Basically, the letter says,

Dear sirs,

My name is ... I live in the United States of America at the address above.

I am requesting the full military discharge records for my grandfather who was born in ... on ... His father's name was ... and his mother's maiden name was...

I will be pleased to reimburse you for the cost of copying and postage if you will let me know the amount.

Sincerely,
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear lilbees your right and I was presumptious in thinking that the form letter would pop out from the conscription heading. I apologize for putting you and inquirers into this muck and mire. From what I gather there is no set form letter for military records and the question that I would like answered is will the archivio di stato provinciale accept an english language request?? =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear lilbees your right and I was presumptious in thinking that the form letter would pop out from the conscription heading. I apologize for putting you and inquirers into this muck and mire. From what I gather there is no set form letter for military records and the question that I would like answered is will the archivio di stato provinciale accept an english language request?? =Peter=
Peter, I sent letters as indicated in my previous post to the Cosenza, Frosinone, and Caserta archives and received appropriate replies from each.

The reason for the bulleted "lists" is so that I could easily add additional items to the request ("Registro di Leva" for example).
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hey thanks Peter for answering. Just thought that I wasn't doing something right. At least I don't have a problem with my computer. No apologies necessary.

johnnyonthespot thank you. You gave a format that I can use in my letters for military information. The website you suggested had men in my family that I had been searching for. Mystery solved for them.

Thank you again.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thanks guys! Happy New Year =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

POSTSCRIPT: I spoke with the European desk of the Family Hisotry Library in Salt Lake City and discussed the lack of a form letter in Italian for use in requesting military records.My Italian contact was not present so we are going to pick the conversation with the contact person on Monday.

I am hoping that they will consider my request for a military records request form letter in Italian.

Thanks again guys just wanted to let you know my wheels are turning. =Peter=
~Peter~
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ddevirgilio »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
ddevirgilio wrote:... My paternal grandfather was killed in WWII while serving in the Italian military.
You may find this site of interest. Enter your ancestor's name (cognome=surname, nome=given name), then click Avvia Ricerca button. Assuming you get a list of possible persons on the next page, click the arrow in the Dettagli column. On the next page, you can see the date and place of birth (Data/Luogo di Nascita), the burial location (Luogo Sepoltura) and the date and place of death (Data/Luogo Decesso).
johnnyonthespot, I owe you immense thanks. I was able to find my grandfather, Damiano De Virgilio, in the database. I am able to confirm the listing based on the date of birth. While I always knew that he was allegedly killed in Rhodes shortly after the Italian Armistice, I had no inkling that there were any burial records. According to the database, he was buried in Greece, but I doubt that there is a marked grave because family lore is that he was one of the soldiers massacred by the German military after the armistice. Thanks also for the letter template!

Damian