Help Reading Century Old Family Documents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Help Reading Century Old Family Documents

Post by ddevirgilio »

Hi Everyone,

Since I'm a huge history and genealogy buff, my girlfriend's step-father shared some family documents with me that have been in his family for over a century. Since I'm rather fluent in Italian, I thought I'd be able to read them, but I find most of the handwriting illegible . With his permission, I'm seeking help from various channels in deciphering their content. Therefore, I thought it wouldn't hurt to see if someone here could help too. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

There are three documents that I've uploaded to Google Docs:

1. Note with Letterhead - Antonio Verrino was his great-gradfather. This note appears to have been written by a former employer as some kind of letter of recommendation or perhaps as proof of being skilled labor for immigration officials. Via documents at Ancestry.com, I've been able to confirm that Antonio entered the US in 1895, a few years after the date on the note.

2. LetterA and LetterB may not be in the proper order. They also need to be rotated to read. I apologize for not being to rotate them before upload, but feel free to download and rotate in Acrobat Reader. These documents appear to be part of a letter from family. It seems to contain lots of typical family greetings and also contains an address.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

-Damian
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Help Reading Century Old Family Documents

Post by suanj »

1. Note with Letterhead - Antonio Verrino was his great-gradfather. This note appears to have been written by a former employer as some kind of letter of recommendation or perhaps as proof of being skilled labor for immigration officials. Via documents at Ancestry.com, I've been able to confirm that Antonio entered the US in 1895, a few years after the date on the note.
Hi, abt this letter, it is hard of to read, but no for handwriting, just because is written in bad italian and something have no much sense, because it is a bit hard to understand the right meaning...
shortly:
the sender( Antonina or Antonia Greco) speaking abt a "dear sister" and abt a feast, abt a buying, and asking abt something (maybe a dress) sending, asking of to send in long version and of rose colour, also many regards from siblings, kisses from uncles and families, from cousins, regards:
to Vittorio and Margherita, Maria and family from sender Antonina or Antonia Greco;
also she and give many regards again, hoping in a reply, and she give also the address of Carmelo Termine, soldier in Palermo ( the address is of Palermo barrack), because Vittorio wishing the Carmelo address

abt:
LetterB may not be in the proper order.
Sciacca 19 aug 1929
after the conventional regards, and happiness from letter received, well in this letter speaking abt a pre arranged marriage of Maria (?) and Michele Sciaccio(?) that is the brother of.. (?); seeming that Maria no accepted the prearranged marriage, because wish not and thinking that, if she accept, she will hoe ( no in litteral sense, but meaning to work so much).. and for that she will be a spinster...
sorry the letter is in bad italian and no much understandable, with many redundancies abt same concept...
maybe some other member can make a better translation

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

"Note with letterhead" and "LetterA" are the same document...
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ddevirgilio »

First of all, thanks for the insights. I apologize for mixing up some of the links, here is the proper link for the Note with Letterhead
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

ddevirgilio wrote:Note with Letterhead
Antonio Verrino is employed in my intaglio and cabinet-making school-workshop.
This document is released upon request of the same.
Napoli May 19 1892
Signed by Antonio Caponetti
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ddevirgilio »

Thank you both for all your help!