Question about a grandparents will with property in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Question about a grandparents will with property in Italy

Post by DeFilippis78 »

delete
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Question about a grandparents will with property in Ital

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Well, it is just a guess, but perhaps a frazione (hamlet, neighborhood) of Stella Cilento.

Although I am unable to find Amalafedi on any list of frazioni.

Here we go; check this out...

Amalafede (with an "e") is mentioned in the history of Stella Cilento on the comune's website:
La frazione Amalafede, originariamente Bonafida, si ritiene si sia formata in seguito allo spopolamento dei vari borghi della vallata dopo la peste del 1348.
Roughly translated, "The village of Amalafede, originally Bonafida, believed to be formed following the depopulation of the various villages of the valley after the plague of 1348."
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Well I was thinking it was a neighborhood also but being their population is only 800 I figure how many neighborhoods can there be! I checked it out on Google Earth and its this tiny little group of homes in the middle of nowhere!

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

DeFilippis78 wrote:Well I was thinking it was a neighborhood also but being their population is only 800 I figure how many neighborhoods can there be! I checked it out on Google Earth and its this tiny little group of homes in the middle of nowhere!

Alicia
First, not sure if you saw my entire post; I have a bad habit of going back to a post (in the first few minutes) to edit or add details.

As you should see on Google Earth, Amalafede is off to the west of Stella Cilento. Many of these "small" (that is, tiny population) comuni actually encomapss a large land area, hence the need to identify the smaller individual settlements.

I see that San Giovanni and Guarrazzano are tow other nearby frazioni of Stella Cilento.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I just saw it on Google Earth. So Amalafede is a village in Stella Cilento? Or a separate town?

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

DeFilippis78 wrote:I just saw it on Google Earth. So Amalafede is a village in Stella Cilento? Or a separate town?

Alicia
We need an Italian to give a definitive answer, but as I understand it, these frazioni are so tiny, it would not make sense for them to have there own government entity. Amalafede, San Giovanni, and Guarrazzano are frazione of Stella Cilento; all government services (Stato Civile and Anagrafe among them) for these frazioni are provided by Stella Cilento.
Carmine

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
DeFilippis78 wrote:I just saw it on Google Earth. So Amalafede is a village in Stella Cilento? Or a separate town?

Alicia
We need an Italian to give a definitive answer, but as I understand it, these frazioni are so tiny, it would not make sense for them to have there own government entity. Amalafede, San Giovanni, and Guarrazzano are frazione of Stella Cilento; all government services (Stato Civile and Anagrafe among them) for these frazioni are provided by Stella Cilento.
You are correct. From an administrative point of view Amalafede, San Giovanni, and Guarrazzano belong to the Municipality of Stella Cilento.
Any request may be sent to:

Comune di Stella Cilento
Via Madonna di Fatima
84070 Stella Cilento SA
Italia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Carmine and Livio....thank you so much for this information.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

One cannot help but wonder if the property is still in her name. :)
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ya know, I thought the same thing.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

For $155.00, this company will perform a search of title records.

I have no idea how good or bad this firm may be; I have seen the name dropped here and there.

In such a small place as Stella Cilento, it may be enough to simply ask at the town hall. Livio?
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Let me just add that, at the time in question, the property may have been valued at, at most, a few hundred dollars and your ancestors - having no plans to return to Italy - may have simply ignored it and ultimately forgot about it.
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Hmmmm.....very interesting. I need to investigate :)

Alicia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Since I am "here and there" I can vouch for the firm as being well represented by a San Francisco firm which has been in business for many years. I believe the proprietor's name is Alioto. =Peter=
~Peter~
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thank you Peter! And thank you Carmine for recommending!

Alicia