military records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

military records

Post by themilitantcatholic »

Would it be an aid towards dual-citizenship if I acquired my grandfather's military record from Italy?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: military records

Post by johnnyonthespot »

themilitantcatholic wrote:Would it be an aid towards dual-citizenship if I acquired my grandfather's military record from Italy?
Nope.

Nice to have, interesting reading, perhaps even something to frame and put on the wall with family photos.

But, it is outside the loop in regards to the dual citizenship process.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

okay thanks, I just wanted to double-check on that one.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

themilitantcatholic wrote:okay thanks, I just wanted to double-check on that one.
Just to clarify, Italian citizenship jus/ius/jure sanguinis is not something which is going to be awarded to you based on the good behavior or good deeds of you or any of your ancestors. The purpose of the application process (bad terminology, actually) is to provide proof that you already are and always have been an Italian citizen, and to be officially recognized as such.

You accomplish this by showing an unbroken line between yourself and an "Italian" ancestor. In my case, that was my US-born father and my Italy-born grandfather. My grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of my father's birth, therefore my father was (unknowingly) an Italian citizen. And, therefore, I - along with my six brothers - am an Italian citizen as well. As is my son and the children of my brothers.

I presented sufficient documentation of the details of my heritage, the consulate agreed that I had proved my case, and "recognized" my status as an Italian.

PS: Not only will "good behavior" not win you any brownie points in the citizenship recognition process, but neither will bad behavior. In theory, you could be a convicted mass-murderer or a Bernie Madoff type swindler - it doesn't matter. This is not about what you are today, but what you were at the moment of birth.

Which brings up another point: if your citizenship is recognized, it is retroactive to your moment of birth and anything that has ensued since that moment is now affected by this recognition. One of the most helpful items is that, prior to April 27, 1983, a woman who married an Italian citizen automatically gained citizenship herself. So, when my citizenship was recognized, my wife (we wed in 1982) automatically became an Italian citizen as well.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
gfharper

Post by gfharper »

Hello,
I'm starting the process of jure sanguinis. How do I obtain a birth certificate from the small town in Italy where my grandfather was born? Thanks.
Gail
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

use this it is really easy and free
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

oh the postage is 98 cents airmail... I don't see any reason to send it regestersed that is a waste of money. For a lot of us here finding the comune to send it to was a big job. If you have that great!

Oh by the way as far as military records, you may want them for geneology purposes, not for citizenship, not everything we do here is for citizenship, and some of us have gone past the last person born in Italy

Or like waiting for Gudot, we are waiting for the consulate to send the paperwork to the comune.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

Is there a form letter for requesting military records?
gfharper

Post by gfharper »

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have two birth certificates to get. One from Varese Ligure in Liguria, and one from Ne, also in Liguria. I think the first one is in the province of La Spezia and the second in Genova. But I can't find the exact addresses of the places to send the requests. I checked that website mentioned here, but still don't see the exact address. Any ideas?

By the way, I mistakenly got into the forum on military records, but that's not anything I need to get. Sorry.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

themilitantcatholic wrote:Is there a form letter for requesting military records?
See this thread. The form letter shown worked well for me.

Obviously, you will need to change the address to the correct provincial archives which covers your ancestor's comune, as well as the particulars regarding his place of birth, etc. Let us know if you need help with that.
Carmine

gfharper

Post by gfharper »

Thanks so much for the information! I will definitely use the letter, but I'm having trouble locating the EXACT mailing addresses. I went to that website www.nonsolocap/it/liguria, but I don't see the street addresses for the Ufficio de Stato Civile for La Spezia and Genova. Any ideas?
gfharper

Post by gfharper »

Here's another problem. That form letter asks for a birth certificate, but for Jure Sanguinis you need a certified birth certificate. Is there a way to get that?
gfharper

Post by gfharper »

Am I correct in assuming that birth records are kept at the provincial level in Italy?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

No, they are kept at the comune level.

Here are the addresses you need.
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/011/029/index.html

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/010/040/index.html
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

gfharper wrote:Here's another problem. That form letter asks for a birth certificate, but for Jure Sanguinis you need a certified birth certificate. Is there a way to get that?
There were two sample letters, the first for military records from the provinical archives, the second for birth and marriage certificates from the comune.

The Estratto per Riassunto per Atto di Nascita (birth extract) and Estratto per Riassunto per Atto di Matrimonio (marriage extract) are official documents which will be signed by the stato civile officer and he will affix his stamp (always in blue ink, from what I have seen). Rest assured, this document will be accepted by the consulate for a dual citizenship application.
Carmine