Wrong birth date on GGF Birth record from Varese Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Wrong birth date on GGF Birth record from Varese Italy

Post by Tonio70 »

I just found out that the date of birth for my GGF on his register of birth from the Commune of Varese, Italy is incorrect. His naturalization certificate and his italian passport states the 16th of May, 1883, they have the 10th of May 1883. I even pulled the record from Ancestry.com and it states the 16th of May 1883. Does any one know how I can correct this matter? I ordered this certificate online through another Italian citizenship board. Please any help is appreciated. I have an appointment in August 2010 and I need to get this corrected ASAP.

Ciao

Antonio :x
corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Wrong birth date on GGF Birth record from Varese Italy

Post by corrado »

which consulate are you using. I don't think you can correct any of these docutments. I don't think these are a big deal. I would use a auto-certification that this is the same perso, in any case the best thing to do is email the consulate and explain the situitation and ask them if they will accept the documents.
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonio70 »

I am almost sure it is a typographical error on the part of the Commune of Varese Italy. I am doing some research now to see how I can write the Commune in Italy and have them send me a new Register of Birth record with the correct day of birth. I just need to find out how much, if anything, they will charge me for a birth record. I am going through the Miami Consulate for citizenship. Thanks for your help.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

I have emailed Maimi, they are reasonable, I would ask them if you even need to change this. They may not care! Do yourself a favor, email them first before you open this pandoras box!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Tonio whatever the reason for the discrepancy, Corrado's advice is sound.You can always accomodate any change if necessary but why tempt fate. =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I doubt that the date on the register is incorrect. It may be incorrect on the certificate or Estratto that the commune gave you.
I suggest that you write again to the Ufficio di Stato Civile and request the correct "Estratto per copia integrale2 (maybe you van send them a picture of the document you found on Ancestry...).
They should not charge anything and I believe you have enough time since your appointment is in August.
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonio70 »

Thanks for all the replies. It is incorrect on the Estratto, I believe it was a typographical error on their part. I will just write the Commune and ask them to issue a new Estratto. Does anyone know if there is a fee for obtaining a new Estratto?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

No, there should not be any fee.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Tonio70 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. It is incorrect on the Estratto, I believe it was a typographical error on their part. I will just write the Commune and ask them to issue a new Estratto. Does anyone know if there is a fee for obtaining a new Estratto?
The only fee a comune is permitted to charge is to cover the cost of postage. If you make your request in writing, you could include a self-addressed return envelope along with an "International Reply Coupon" which, in theory is available from your local post office but in reality nearly never is. :cry:

There are a couple of current threads on this topic. Use the Search tool to look for "IRC"
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonio70 »

Thanks for your help. I will look into the International Reply Coupon.