Gatti/Rea family from Arpino Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
judy369

Gatti/Rea family from Arpino Italy

Post by judy369 »

My grandfather, Domenico Gatti (born 1883) and my grandmother Domenica Rea(born 1884) were both born and were married in Arpino, Italy. I am trying to find out information on their parents. I know Domenico's father was Tommasso Gatti and mother was Filomena Rea. I do not know my grandmother Domenica's parents names.
My grandparents came to the USA in 1907. They settled in Raton, New Mexico. Three of their children were born in Italy, Laredo, Liberati, Pasqua. Laredo came to the USA in 1913 at the age of 11. Pasqua came to the USA in 1918 at the age of 13 and Liberati died in Italy as a young girl. My grandparents must have left the children with relatives when they left Italy. Any idea where I could begin looking???
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Gatti/Rea family from Arpino Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum :-)

Does the Family Tree for Domenica Rea that is located at Ancestry.com belong to you?

T.
judy369

Post by judy369 »

We have a family tree on that site but it would be under Filomena Rea my great grandmother. Domenica Rea married my grandfather Domenico Gatti. Rea is either a very common name for Italians or several of my relatives married one another :?
Judy
daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daddymuzza »

Maybe you have links with or to the Reas of Manchester England....

http://www.ancoatslittleitaly.com/
if yer no fast yer last !!!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

which ARPINO are you talking about? www.nonsolocap.it with Arpino and Arpino frazione of comune di Casoria as possible places of origin

The best way to find out is to request a certificato di stato di famiglia storico (family certificate showing the date and place of birth of each family member )since you know Domenico's fathers name Tommasso Gatti and his mother is Filomena Rea it you can cite these facts (and estimated birthyears +- 10 years for Tommasso and Filomena.

Some towns do not have the facility in producing family certifcates but it would be a boon to mankind if they all did. =Peter=
~Peter~
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The family tree on Ancestry that includes Domenica Rea and Domenic Gatti is listed as the "Moore Family Tree". It includes the names of Children: Loreto, Liberata, Pasqua, Rose, Louise, Thomas, Fred, Helen and Domenico.

It includes a picture of Domenica Rea, of Arpino, Italy.

T.
judy369

Post by judy369 »

Hi Tessa,
The Moore Family Tree was posted by a niece and she gathered the info on the Gatti/Rea family from me. I know who my grandparents were I am trying to find info on their parents. I have a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate but don't know how to find out anything about his parents other than their names. I don't even know my grandmothers' parents names but I do know that she had siblings in Arpino when she emigrated to the USA.

Hi Peter,
The Arpino listed on my grandfather's birth certificate is Comune di Arpino - Provincia di Frosinone.

Hi DaddyMuzza,
I checked out the Reas of Manchester site and I could have ties to them based on the fact that I really like "ice cream" but I need to find the link in Arpino. Tony Rea did a super job putting that site together!!

Thanks everyone for your input.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

proceed on to the suggestion that I offered about requesting a CERTIFICATO DI STATO DI FAMIGLIA STORICO etc which is above in order to find all the members of the family.

send request to address listed under Municipio found at
www.tuttitalia.it/lazio/75-arpino =Peter=
~Peter~
judy369

Post by judy369 »

I am doing that now. Thanks
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

There was a mild earthquake last year in Arpino that damaged the building in which the archives were housed. It also housed the Library. All the books and records are still inside but there is no sign of any work being done or planned.
The indexes back to 1809 are conserved in the anagrafe in a different building (which is a real pain when researching since the anagrafe does not allow searches without the Mayors special permission) As far as I could see they have no way of producing a Stato di famiglia easily.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thanks for the heads up Ann but perhaps she should write a letter to the Mayor asking "what should I do to get the information" letter? =Peter=
~Peter~
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

She could. It took me months to get permission to search the indexes. Here is the address:
Sindaco Fabio Forte
Comune di Arpino
Via Aquila Romana, 2
Arpino, (FR) 03033
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daddymuzza »

Find attached a copy of Tony Reas tree , You most probably link to his ancestors .....But Where
if yer no fast yer last !!!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Good Show old man! =Peter=
~Peter~
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The REA family in Arpino is HUGE with many branches even back into the 1500's. A professor has done all of them and the file is BIG. This even looks like it was done on his typewriter!
Ann Tatangelo